• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Aura triggers and Custom Auras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello fellow Hivers!

I have some questions and a bunch of problems i don't quite understand.

First of; I recently played "The Adventures of Rowan the Wise" and the aura system there fascinated me quite a bit.

I understand the "Spellbook" ability is involved, and "dummyspells" is essential. But how to actually pull off the procedure to switch auras without them being active at the same time is like teaching a cow advanced quantum mechanics..

In my map I use Uther as hero, he is supposed to have "Spellbook ability"---> Three different auras

So what I'm wondering about is the following:

- How to get my hero to have three separate auras that isn't active at the same time
- How to get triggers for the actual auras to execute properly

Any help would be great! :)

~Walfar~

Level 9
Hello and welcome to the Hive! :)

You can do that by removing other aura and add one. Let me explain better.

So first of you make a spellbook with 3 spells.
Then you create 3 dummy spells based on channel. Check the visible square in the options field in object editor. Set the duration to 0.3.
Name them like Set Aura1, Set Aura2, Set Aura3. Then make other 3 abilites that are the real ones Aura1, Aura2, Aura3.
Now put Set Aura1, Set Aura2 and Set Aura3 in the spellbook.

Then comes the triggers part.
You have to create a trigger to remove and add the aura when the dummy ability(based on channel) is used.

Events
A unit start the effect of an ability
Conditions
Casting unit is alive
Actions
IF
Conditions
Abillity being cast is equal to Set Aura1
THEN
Actions
Add Aura1 to casting unit
Remove Aura2 from casting unit
Remove aura 3 from casting unit
ELSE
IF
Conditions
Abillity being cast is equal to Set Aura2
THEN
Actions
Add Aura2 to casting unit
Remove Aura1 from casting unit
Remove aura 3 from casting unit
ELSE
IF
Conditions
Abillity being cast is equal to Set Aura3
THEN
Actions
Add Aura3 to casting unit
Remove Aura1 from casting unit
Remove aura2 from casting unit

Something like this. So every time you choose an aura the other 2 are removed, and one at time is active.
I hope i helped you :)

Level 15
You need a hero spellbook ability that contains 3 dummy unit spells to change between the auras.
The spellbook is a hero ability since it is the ability your hero will learn. You create the 3 auras with 3 levels.
Using the dummy spells will disable/enable the aura abilities for your hero. The aura abilities must always have the same level as the spellbook ability. Initially your hero has all three auras, but are disabled with a trigger at the start.

I made a map with a paladin, who can change between three auras. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Aura.w3x
    18 KB · Views: 166
Level 2
wc3neverdies: thanks for the help! :) the triggers sort of works. But just one aura is activating. Doesn't matter which dummy I click>.<

Level 15
The dummy spells must have different base order ids. You can change the base order id of spells based on channel. If they are the same the game cannot distinguish between the dummy spells and will always use the same. It's under Data - Base Order Id.

Level 2
One last question: how to level up the auras at the same time as "Spellbook ability" is leveled up?

Level 15
After adding the ability use:
  • Unit - Set level of Devotion Aura for (Triggering unit) to (Level of HeroAbilitySpellbook for (Triggering unit))
The problem I had with this was, that once I switched the aura the new aura buff was level 1 for a few seconds due to the aura buff delay. Because of this I used disable/enable ability instead of adding them.

Status
Not open for further replies.