• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Attack/Armor System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 37
Hello there.

It's soon about the time that the campaign is in Beta Stage and I stop requesting systems for the campaign. This is one of the last systems I'm going to add to the campaign. This thread's idea is that I'm searching for a positive and skilled map editor who could do me a pretty hard system. The system is all about changing attack and armor types instantly in single-player campaign.

The project I'm making is a campaign that have 11 chapters, 3 interludes, epilogue and prologue. I have been the campaign over 1,5 years and I'm planning to finish it before the coming summer. The campaign is huge and is pretty good quality(I'm still improving). I'm still remaking some chapters before I release the beta stage and I hope this system can be done before Beta Stage(about 1-3 months). Current version is Alpha 3.1a.

The Chosen Ones is a single-player campaign created for Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne by Aeroblyctos and is one of the largest single-player campaign ever made with a total of 11 chapters, two interludes, a prologue, and an epilogue. This campaign features more than 10 hours of gameplay and huge replay value with elite and epic bosses that require the resources obtained from a second play through to conquer. Follow the story through the eyes of the three Dragon Slayers, the noble Phodom, the mischievous Fradz, and the wise Galeoth as they journey to face a powerful presence that threatens to destroy their people and along the way, each Dragon Slayer must confront their past, their secrets, and their inner struggles. This is a story of peace and war, of loss and despair, of hate and revenge, of destiny and self discovery; this is the story, of The Chosen Ones.

More, here or in the Official Website Of The Campaign.

About the system I'm requesting from you:

• The whole idea of this system is that player can easily change his characters' armor and attack types(there are totally 3 different characters). This makes the campaign more strategical also.
  • Each character has a spell book. Inside the spell book there are 11 abilities including the cancel ability. There are 6 attack types and 5 armor types. When player clicks a dummy ability it changes the armor of the character. All the attack and armor types are not at the beginning. They can be gathered(just like items).
  • Some people say that this system cannot be done, some people say this can be done. I'm not that advanced with triggers to say anything, but I think these four abilities may help you: "Robo-Goblin", "Engineering Upgrade", "Chemical Rage" and "Metamorphosis". Also what about upgrades?
  • All attack and armor types should not be in the beginning of game. Player can for example find some attack and armor types by picking up some items.
  • The attack and armor types should be in a spell book. Each character currently has 1 spell book, but inside of that spell book, there are a lot more spell books. So each character for example should have two spell books; one for attack types and one for armor types. Then if player casts dummy ability that changes attack type the attack type is then changed(yea, yea horrible English).
  • This is a campaign(single-player), which means you can only use GUI or JASS. No vJASS at all.
  • The characters should not be changed, moved or something like that. The campaign is full of other systems and it's vital that the units are not changed in anyway(I mean like creating a new unit instead of the old one).
  • I would also like you to make everything with Variables so I can easily save & load the current status of the system to next chapter. The campaign totally has 11 chapters.
  • Make a test map so we can test does your system work.
  • We have been discussing here about the system with testers of the campaign.

If you are going to do this, here is what I offer you:
  • Credits as a system maker for the campaign. System creators will also have a lot bigger credits than the others.
  • Reputation points in here.
  • I know this isn't much compared what you are doing... But we are here for fun, we are not here for money. I have used thousand of hours making this campaign just for you guys so I'm also wanting something to return...

You can also ask directly from me via MSN. My address: [email protected]

And lastly I have to say that this is another unique feature for the campaign that will once again boost the campaign hugely. I really hope this can be done, I'm curiously waiting for your response. Ask anything, I'll answer.

Last edited:
Level 35
BAH, just use Destroyer Form ability, have as many copies of the hero as you need to sport the armour/attack types you want and do the following:

Disable the 'Requires Payment' option for the Destroyer Form ability.
Create 2 spellbooks.
Send me the map and leave the rest to me.

I know a way to get multiple abilities working if they're based off of the same one, and fortunately it involves spellbooks. I can either do it for you, or tell you. Which would you prefer?

Level 37
BAH, just use Destroyer Form ability, have as many copies of the hero as you need to sport the armour/attack types you want and do the following:

Disable the 'Requires Payment' option for the Destroyer Form ability.
Create 2 spellbooks.
Send me the map and leave the rest to me.

I know a way to get multiple abilities working if they're based off of the same one, and fortunately it involves spellbooks. I can either do it for you, or tell you. Which would you prefer?
The problem is that you have not read the request good enough. However:
  • This is a campaign that is 100 mb big.
  • Usually when someone is doing a system for the campaign, he make a test map. It's too complicated if I start to give you the campaign. Also I'm working with it every day.
  • Like I said in the first post, I don't want that heroes will be replaced or other systems in the campaign starts to bug. So there should be another way where the units will not be replaced at all.
  • Do you have more questions? I will answer happily and I hope you can help me with this case.

Level 37
Well, a little I can say. However, player can change his attack and armor type with dialog or other easy solution(such as write something). Player have 1 attack and armor type at the beginning of game, but when he acquires more Runes he can change his attack / armor type. We have to remember that player have 3 heroes.

Level 35
Well, I like the idea of being able to go to a spellbook and clicking on an ability to change your attack/armor type. I think if you use dummy abilities and create the necessary upgrades (ones that change a unit's attack/armor type), you could have triggers that when a unit casts Siege attack, it says the Siege attack upgrade is researched and all the others are just available. The only problem with that is that as you have 3 heroes, you will require a lot of upgrades, 1 set for each hero. Apart from that, it should work. At least, I hope so... :S

Level 37
Wazzz said:
Well, I like the idea of being able to go to a spellbook and clicking on an ability to change your attack/armor type.
Well that can work too. Actually it's perhaps the best solution. All three heroes will have one spell book. Inside the spell book, there are 6 attack types and 5 armor types and one cancel of course. Totally 12 buttons. But only the ones can be used that are found.

Wazzz said:
I think if you use dummy abilities and create the necessary upgrades (ones that change a unit's attack/armor type), you could have triggers that when a unit casts Siege attack, it says the Siege attack upgrade is researched and all the others are just available. The only problem with that is that as you have 3 heroes, you will require a lot of upgrades, 1 set for each hero. Apart from that, it should work. At least, I hope so... :S
Well I don't know how to do the system... I'm just requesting this one.

Level 35
Well, that sounds good. But I like more that spell book system. It's more simple for player.

That's what I've been trying to say. When the hero uses an ability, it sets off a trigger that sets one tech for the casting hero to researched while setting all the others for that hero to... uh... less-than-researched... yes, that will do...

Basically, there's an action I just found that will help you with this. It comes under Player actions and allows you to set the research level of any tech. It comes under, funnily enough, Set Current Reseach Level. Basically 0 would be not-researched and 1 would be researched for these upgrades. So, if the hero uses the Siege attack ability from the spellbook, it sets off the trigger that causes the casting hero's Siege attack upgrade to be research level 1 and all the others for that hero only to level 0. It will be tedious and take a while, but it should work 100% how you desire.

Level 35
Well if ur doin it by researching i guess i can take a stab at it. Right now im busy with my spell factory spells but give me a few days n ill be caught up

Ooh, sexy! Fortunately, it's not difficult to do at all (even I could do it :p), it's just the amount of time put into it that would be the bane of many a modder. Hell, doing it for one hero would be a lengthy task in its own, but 3 heroes would be enough to call this an entire phase. Anyway, I think the effect will be worth it and like the idea that Aeroblyctos is trying to implement in his campaign. It would be very awesome from a tactical perspective to suddenly change a lighter, ranged unit to have a siege attack while a unit with normal attack and Heavy armour tanks the enemy while yet another unit pelts them with magic attack.

Another question just popped into my head: Are you going to have the heroes attack range change as well? Although there is no need for it, I'm just curious about whether or not you'd be doing that. I reckon it could be done the same way I suggested the attack/armor type change should be done, but don't think it's entirely necessary. Are there any ranged units? Of course, I understand if you don't feel quite ready to release that kind of information as of yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.