• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spell Book System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 37
An another request! I have been making my campaign for almost a year now. I have already released over 15 alpha tests from it. I already have a spell book system in the campaign but I'm not satisfied with it. That is why I'm here. Requesting a new spell book system.

So, about the system spell book system:
- The spell books is an item.
- There should be a spell book where are spells(one to six).
- These spell are gained by finding items.
- Spell book doesn't have spells at first. When you gather first spell, the spell book will appear to Hero's inventory with that spell.
- When you find an another spell, it will be added to the spell book(there is a possibility that player will not have all spells).
- The spell book should be work with the campaign, so the spells from the spell book should be saved & loaded for next map.
- There are 5 element which means there should be 5 different spell book.

If you can do this, I will give you some REP in here, and great credits at the campaign. I will put your name to epilogue and perhaps to prologue(depending if the system is awesome!).

Level 37
Eleandor said:
So if I understand correctly, your hero has 5 abilities,
No No No! Hero do not have any spells. These spell books are ITEMS that can be found(so hero have own abilities, these spell books are just extra! Yeah, extra!).

Eleandor said:
1 for each element
There are 5 different elements, and that is why there are 5 different spell books. Funny isn't it? No? Argh!

Eleandor said:
which open an empty spellbook?
No! No! No! When you find a spell(example a fire spell) this will become a spell book with that spell. If you find an another spell(an another fire spell), that spell will go to that fire spell book. But if you example find an ice spell and a fire spell, those two go to different spell books.

Ahh, some extra information, every spell book, will have 6 spells. Almost all spells are done(well ehh, I think I will redo some spells, because some of them suck!).

Eleandor said:
Then you have items that, when picked up, add a spell to one of your spellbook abilities?
Yeah... those items can be example runes or something. Well, I don't know how you will do job but I wish you GOOD LUCK! And I hope you can do at least something.

However, I have to remind you that this system is for a campaign. This means that you have to do somekind of save/load with game cache system. It would be stupid to start gathering magics from zero point at every single chapter.

Remember, huge reward will wait you!

Level 21
- There are 5 Spell book items in the game and 30 spell items (6 for each book).
- When a hero picks up a spell book, nothing happens.
- When a hero picks up a spell item, it's added to the proper book
- When a hero "uses" a spell book, he gains a spell book ability
- Inside the spell book ability, you'll find all spells you have collected for that specific book, which you can now casst
- When a hero "uses" another spell book, the spell book ability is swapped with the correct one

Is that correct? If it's not, tell me where I'm wrong :/

Also, can I use vjass?

Level 37
Eleandor said:
So your hero has 5 items in its inventory: one spellbook for each element. (potentially, not necessarily)
Yeah, but no one will have 5 spell books, most of the guys just choose few elements. It would take too much space in the inventory. But this is possible. :p

Eleandor said:
When you pick up a spell item, it goes to one of the 5 other items you're wearing?
When you use one of those 5 spellbook items you're wearing, you gain all abilities inside the spellbook, when you use another spellbook item in your inventory, you lose those abilities again and gain the abilities in the other spellbook? If that's not the case, I don't know how you want it to work :/
Argh... I know I'm bad with explaining things.
- There are 5 element which means 5 different spell books.
- These spell books don't appear at the beginning of game. Only, if you have even one of the spells.
- There are 6 spells each spell book.
- If you example find "tier 4" fire spell, and your inventory is empty, this will change it's form to a fire book with only tier 4 fire spell. Then, if you find "tier 5" fire spell, this will also go to this spell book(so there are currently tier 4 and tier 5 fire spell). However, if you find tier 6 ice spell, this will go to other spell book(so there are then 2 different spell books).
- And if one hero have example spell book with 2 fire spell, and an another hero have also 2 fire spell, if they combine, there will be one spell book with 4 fire spell.

Still want more information?

Level 21
Yes, I'd like to know how you use the abilities inside the spellbook. So let's say I have a hero with a fire spellbook (3 spells). How do I cast the spells inside the book?

Do I click the book to gain a spellbook icon (fire) in my unit abilities which when clicked opens up a menu with all fire spells, and when I click another book I remove the previous book ability and replace it with the new book ability? Or should it work differently?
If this is the way it works, there will be one icon at all times that contain the spells of the current active spellbook. Is that correct? Then you'll still have 5 free ability slots (for hero spells)

By the way, I've edited my previous post before you posted your reply...

Level 21
Which is no answer to my question. If you have an item (spellbook) how the fuck are you going to be casting the abilities inside. Preferably, show me a screenshot on how it "should" look like...

And another problem would be that using upgrades for spells does not allow MUI.

EDIt: areo: I was planning to add a decent guide on how to use it in GUI, it'd be pretty easy IMO. I just asked if I could use jass for the underlying scripts, and preferably vjass (requires world edit newgen)

Level 5
erm you could do it the nooby way (the way i do it)
by having 1 spell book with five differnt spellbooks in itone 4 each element (maysound famailar)but then when you obtain an item such as a fireblot spell scroll you get an upgrade allowing the fireblot ablity (you probaly wont get any of that cause am a noob)

Status
Not open for further replies.