• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Artillery Game idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Alright this game will be just a demontration of what i might make,

This will be my first map, I want to learn how to map well, But...

I have little experience in triggering, But i am good at modifying Objects.

I want to make a game about artillery style playing, with a possible physics engine included. Although, Ill be needing a JASS scripter to help me, since im no good at JASS at all.

I Want to have at least 4 different artillery vehicles to choose from (Wc3 or modern themed, This will only be a demo.) Most of the credit will go to the Scripter, If they did a good job, Of course.

Ill give credit to anyone who contributes, Ideas and all, And ill try to help if you have any projects. I am good at Bug testing.

Yours truly,
Discohydra

Level 5
Well...

This map hasn't even been been created, but my idea is, that you have about 6-8 players in a game. they can fire artillery at each other, but they ARE the howitzer/artillery piece. They have to adjust Angles of attack, shot power, and adjust for gravity, Wind, and terrain.

They have a choice of 1 of 3 camera views, Overhead, First person, or Broad overview.

Every artillery piece in game has different types of ammo. The Wc3 has ammo that is magically enhanced, such as Flame strike bombs, or ammo (Possibly mana) siphon bombs, or like a Gyrocopter beacon ammo, (A gyrocopter flys by and bombs the area where the shot has landed.)

While the modern type artillery, has different based attacks, Like rockets, Ballistic artillery, with a forward observer, to help spot artillery.

But, The disadvantage about the Wc3 artillery, is that they dont have accurate spotting, like the Modern's Forward observer, Who can pinpoint artillery positions.

The thing is, i need a good trigger person, I hope that someone will help me Ill give them good credits, if they can pull off a good physics engine, Im hoping that i can get someone who is good at making modern map physics engines, If you think your good, come and take a try, This is only a demo, I wont care too much if you mess up, Ill help you test for bugs.

Good luck, And have fun on this project,

Sincerely,
-Discohydra

Level 5
Well, I wish i could

I wish i could do the triggering, I can do everything, But the triggering. (I'm horrible at it.) :cry:

Only if I has waited until I had 20 rep to request it. :ugly:

If any of you are good at JASS, feel free to step to the plate and get some experience!, Ill give you rep. Every time i get some. It doesn't matter if you mess up, This is just a practice map.

It tell me if you wanna give it a try in my visitor message area.

Level 11
You need no JASS at all. JASS is not actually needed anywhere, unless if some trigger doesn't work properly, but you checked it whole and can't fix, only then you convert the trigger to custom text and mess with the script.

I'd like you to say what don't you understand in triggers and sure I'll teach you, because I'm one of those who can explain what to do even to a 4-years boy or to man who doesn't know English, but I actually failed helping Exsanguis in thread Food-Counter as Mana-Counter. Waiting for reply.

Level 5
Terrain copy inbound.

Hmmmmm Good, But i need a physics engine, now, but i thought, to my understanding, that you needed JASS to make a physics engine, and arrow key movement.

My idea for this map is to have you to BE the Artillery, trying to pull off a long range attack. from even a distance that the game wont allow you to see. Ill explain this feature later.

Ill give a terrain only copy In my next post.

The terrain is only about 45% done.

This is my first time making a map, So forgive me for any terrain foul ups.

Level 5
Ahhh the map missile hit

Heres the terrain as promised.

Feel free to give me variations. Insert a physics engine if you want, and make the unit with projectiles,

Ill do the final balancing, and ill do the testing also.

Attachments

• Artillery Camps.w3x
    328.8 KB · Views: 61
Level 11
No-no! You got to do everything yourself! If you have Frozen Throne (FT or TFT) expansion, your WE (World Editor) has to have functions, such as "Player - A player presses/releases an arrow key" action and "Time - Periodic Event". The thing is simply, just you have to store in a variable (icon
i-25.jpg
) the a flying unit's height (that servers as a missile) and its (in an other variable) distance it has passed (you can also store the distance it has to pass because players may shot it differently. If so, then you'd need to also store it's maximum height it can reach during flight).

Each one hundred of a second you do "Animation - change unit's flying height" to the missile unit that goes in the direction in front of weapon's facing it was launched from.

The most important things you have to know about triggers is how do they work and how to make a correct trigger (without knowing the outminding JASS). There are events, conditions and actions in a trigger, all they are functions. The actions are done when any of the events happens and all conditions (you can use "Or" condition) on that moment are true. First you have to list all functions you have and test them - make a dispointed trigger and add functions you'd like to test. But remember, that you'll need two things when you test an event (event and an action that would show that event worked), two things to test an action (action and an event to have the action triggered) and three things to test a condition (an event that would trigger the action to show if condition worked).

Just tell what you don't get/understand to trigger a reply.

Level 5
Wow, Thanks

Alright. Im not sure how this'll do for triggering, but, I know im a novice, Ill give it a nice thwack though. Thanks for the advice.

I've never been too bright on variables, but, thanks for explaining it to me.

Level 5
Cancelled

The map has been Canceled, I cant make a good, FPS system, I may Try to salvage it.

Any ideas for My salvage? Overhead view? Adjustable cameras? New UI? Anything?

Level 7
?! dont give up so fast. What do you mean with your FPS system?! frames per second?^^ i dont know :p maybe i can help yyou with some triggers

Level 5
First Person Shooter system. And i am salvaging the project as a game with artillery and a "Satalite" View, With toggle able cameras.

Any skins for artillery would be appreciated.

Level 11
First Person Shooter! Haha! Just lower the camera's Field of View, so it can see things that are very close to it :p

Use keys to navigate camera (the camera is behind your shooter and a bit above the ground):
Up Arrow Key/Down Arrow Key - change camera's Angle of Attack
Left Arrow Key/Right Arrow Key - change camera's facing angle (and the artillery's facing too)

Get an empty picture with a cross in middle and save the picture as BLP, so you can import it to your map.
Use "Camera - Fade In" action and "Time - Elapsed game time becomes equal to 0.00 secinds" event.

To use ESC key in your triggers, use "Player - Player skips a cinematic" event.
But you can add some abilities to your artillery instead: |cffffcc00S|rhoot, |cffffcc00R|reload, |cffffcc00U|rnpack (Fades the cross picture out, changes all cameras properties to default, and changes the artillery model, allowing it to change it's position for example to move on a hill), |cffffcc00Z|room In/Out (Allows to take a better shot, but camera scrolling with keys is slightly slowed)... and some abilities to load different types of missiles to launch

--------Missile--------
Missile is launched from an artillery using ability. Missile is a unit with changed model, no attack, no movement speed - just an object. Keeping in mind, that there can be up to "GetNumberOfPlayersInYourMap" missiles simultaneously in the game, you'll need the following variables:
-variables to store missiles' height (Integer)
-variables to store missiles themselves (Unit)
-variables to store missiles' maximum height they can reach during flight (Integer)
-variables FOR REGIONS to store the height of obstacles in the region, because you can check when a missile enters region and match the missile's height with the region's height.
-variables to store how much time it takes for missile to reach maximum height.

----------------
God! You are a student by the way. I'm sure you can count well, so you'll make the missile's flight very comfortable.
And don't forget to make the diagonal camera scrolling with keys. I recommend to store the current players' pressed keys in a variable (keep in mind that a player cannot have more than 2 keys pressed) that is string. Like this: "forwardright" or "forwardleft" or "forwardback" (forwardback / backforward: see the text below)

The trigger would be like that: (list of trigger names)
---------------------
Press Up Key
Release Up Key
Press Down Key
Release Down Key
Press Left Key
Release Left Key
Press Right Key
Release Right Key
Moving Camera
---------------------
In triggers with word "Key" you check the string (see above) with the keys pressed, and modify the string.
In trigger "Moving Camera" you use "Event - (Periodic event) - each 0.01 second", check the string and modify the camera's properties.

Tip: to make em empty image with a cross, you can use white image and cross in middle (in PAINT). Then you enter Photoshop, take the lasso tool and remove everything white. Then you save the image, download WARCRAFT III IMAGE EXTRACTOR (from Hive's Tools section) to generate your image into BLP and import it.

Fitting models: Artillery Packed, An Artillery;

Ideas for gameplay: area is infested with troops - 2 teams. Troops shot each other, but you can get them from a far distance.

Good luck!

~Don't salvage the map! ):( Show its versatility!

Last edited:
Level 7
woow youre really a walking idea machine :D I want you to write sth like that to my map, too^^ (kidding) I think rep would be great for this work kkots made himself for you, Discohydra

Level 11
woow youre really a walking idea machine :D I want you to write sth like that to my map, too^^ (kidding) I think rep would be great for this work kkots made himself for you, Discohydra

My post above is called "Desperate Triggering", when you can make most awesome things using GUI. Though, you have to think extremely hardly.

But I'm afraid if Discohydra has already salvaged his project... Then that would be just grieving :(

Level 5
Nope

My post above is called "Desperate Triggering", when you can make most awesome things using GUI. Though, you have to think extremely hardly.

But I'm afraid if Discohydra has already salvaged his project... Then that would be just grieving :(

Nope, I still got the terrain/objects intact. Ill have to re-trigger it. Thanks for the Advice.

Im still trying to see if I can turn multiple formula's into Variable's.

Thanks for the tips.

Im turning this into a Third person Shooter. with toggle able views.

The theme of this map from the start was...

Todays scientists found a strange portal in what used to be Stonehendge. They sent a recon team through the portal, and they discovered a whole new world, (Warcraft 3). At first, they could understand each other. But the negotiations soon broke down, and this turned into a total war. After 2 years of battle, and the modern tanks cant get though the defenses, the UN decided to bring in an elite artillery battery squad. The Wc3 forces caught word of this through an informant. And they sent their own artillery squad. After weeks of bombardment by modern forces on the largest farmstead and fishing village in the area, the Wc3 artillery squad arrived. Now its up to the brave pilots of the artillery batteries to find out the fate of this battle once and for all.

So, Do you like the story? It just popped out of my head just this moment. So forgive any mistakes.

Im tying to learn GUI, and its starting to click in my head. I know just about what everything does. But. I cant get some things to work.

Level 11
Nice storyline, but Stonehengde :O ... I think you should place instead of it, that demons were trying to summon a portal and made a mistake, because were interrupted.
Keeping in mind your storyline, we can imagine ruins (that are in region, and that region's height is stored in a variable, so we can check when a missile enters that region, if would get stopped by that obstacle) on the battlefield and squads of troops attacking each other (forces are equal, only artillerists can change the combat).

As you tell, your project looks not very salvaged, but it's very encouraged if you try to make triggers and gameplay yourself.
  • Example
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit enters OBSTACLE <gen>
  • Conditions
    • Unit-type of (entering unit) equal to Missile
    • REGIONS_HEIGHT is greater than or equal to MISSILES_HEIGHT
  • Actions
    • Unit Group - Pick every unit in range 600 from MISSILE and do (cause picked unit to take 300 damage from MISSILE and of type siege)
i-31.jpg

• Example 2
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit enters region_assumed_as_hill <gen>
  • Conditions
    • Unit-type of (entering unit) equal to Missile
  • Actions
    • Set the MISSILES_HEIGHT = MISSILES_HEIGHT - height_of_region_assumed_as_hill
    • Animation - Change a unit's height to MISSILES_HEIGHT
Because of the trigger "example 2" you also have to store the all height that missile is currently losing in a variable. All other variables with height would also get to be lowered.
If there's a hole in the ground... not a hill... RAWR!!.. the missile shall RAISE its height while above a hole.

:p I can even make a prototype of the map with comments and post it. I'm no longer away from warcraft! Yay!

God, and change your signature, if your project is not canceled.

Last edited:
Level 14
Do not make a physics system in GUI. Just don't. Really, it's not good.

Anyway, the main reason why I never created a test map for such a thing was because there is no way I can see to make a good interface for such a game within WC3. You'd probably have to rely on chat commands. But good luck anyway.

Level 11
Do not make a physics system in GUI. Just don't. Really, it's not good.

Anyway, the main reason why I never created a test map for such a thing was because there is no way I can see to make a good interface for such a game within WC3. You'd probably have to rely on chat commands. But good luck anyway.

You can make the UI for that game like in HeroRPG - a multiboard. I made that thing once, and left my map on other computer (far away from me), so I can't post it and show how it works (I can do it later). That was hard like hell!, but it would allow you to do everything and create nice UI.

Level 5
Arg!

I cannot Run Wc3!!!!

Blizzard BNUpdate v2.130 compiled on Jun 24 2008
Log created at 12:32 pm on 07/01/2008

This patch upgrades Warcraft III The Frozen Throne from the previous version.

Registry error loading key 'Warcraft III\InstallPath'
The system cannot find the file specified.

RESULT: Patch failed

Level 5
That doesn't work, and im on vista, And i DO know whats wrong.

I need something that installs the REGISTRIES!!!

And again, I quote the error message.

"Blizzard BNUpdate v2.130 compiled on Jun 24 2008
Log created at 1:12 pm on 07/01/2008

This patch upgrades Warcraft III The Frozen Throne from the previous version.

Registry error loading key 'Warcraft III\InstallPath'
The system cannot find the file specified.

RESULT: Patch failed"

Do help.

Level 11
NOTEPAD... Try to open something with NOTEPAD or with simpliest text program first. Or use other site... however that site offers TFT and RoC patches up to 1.21 (not b). I recommend you using... some site that might be illegal and not to be posted HERE... better be posted somewhere else...

Well, use google.com

Status
Not open for further replies.