• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Armor/Damage Types

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
I need some ideas/feedback on armor/damage types I gonna use in my small strategy project.
99568d1300330264-daily-smiley-custom-smiley-request-thread-aarg2.gif

1) Normal - involves regular melee weapons. Swords, axes, daggers and maces of all kinds. Also thrown axes and knives.
2) Piercing - arrows, bullets and javelins, also spears (melee). Ballista bolts go here.
3) Siege - all kinds of heavy shattering weaponry - from sledgehammers to cannonballs and battering rams.
4) Fire - flames of all sorts + lightning attacks
5) Ethereal - all sorts of incorporeal magical damage.

This leaves me with two types of damage not used. I was thinking of Frost damage, but it isn't widely used at all in my map, so that would be silly. Ideas on interesting damage types are welcome.
Also, what sounds better, Siege or Shattering?

1) Light - everything from unarmored to thin leather. Takes bonus damage from Normal attacks and reduced from Piercing (easier to dodge)
2) Medium - thick leather, scale mail, light chain mail, etc. Takes unmodified damage from everything.
3) Heavy - all kinds of platemail, lamellar armor and the like. Also reperesents cavalry. Takes bonus damage from Piercing attacks and greatly reduced from Normal.
4) Wood - siege vechicles and wooden buildings. Takes bonus damage from Fire and reduced from Piercing and Siege (wood is rather resilient)
5) Stone - fortifications. Takes bonus damage from Siege and greatly reduced from everything else, especially Fire and Piercing.
6) Immaterial - all sorts of spectres, ghosts and other fleshless stuff. Takes bonus damage from Ethereal and greatly reduced from everything else.

This leaves me with two armor types unused. Also, many units (zombies and animals, for instance) would fit with Wood armor (being flammable, but resilient or dodgy) - but I don't know how to call it. "Organic" sounds very lame.

Also, I was thinking of creating a separate damage type for spears, halberds and other polearms and two separate armor types for heavy and light cavalry.

What do you think of all this? Give me your opinions and ideas! NOW! :ogre_rage:

Status
Not open for further replies.