• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Archipelago vs Darkmaster - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
So, I've started making a terrain for the challenge between me and Darkmaster. And here's a wip, criticism is what I'm seeking. Haha, I tried with the raid1000 trees :)

Attachments

• WiPTerrain.jpg
    WiPTerrain.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 248
  • WiP Terrain3.jpg
    WiP Terrain3.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Level 11
Okaaaaay, you have a LOT to work on. First of all your "raid" trees are epic fail. You need to make them a lot longer and THINER, you made them look like some sort of short and fat kebab or something. And those tree branches are just really bad placed. I suggest to forget about those trees as their pretty hard to make and are for more advanced terrainers. Stick with more simple ones. Use the World Tree and some other simpler doodads to make the foliage. Now, the sky. Seriously that red sky is killing all of the atmosphere, effect etc. Your terrain is centered around a forest (green etc.) red looks totally out of place. Use something like bright light yellow or light blue sky. Fog needs to be changed like the sky. You could also use a nice sun in the background. Now for the river. Try not to make long grass coming out of the water. Instead, gradually LOWER every piece of grass till it gets almost to nothing near the water. Good luck with your terrain, if you need more advice, just ask ;)

Level 11
Okay, first thing to say is this one is much better. Background needs work, though. Moar trees, don't let them end in a line just make them continue but steadily Lower every new line of trees. So the closes trees should have only their tops viewed, etc. Now for water, stretched water doodad looks horrible. Instead of making the model size bigger, spawn more little ones so the goodie-ness of the texture still remains. In my opinion, lower the background mountain a bit, so there is more sky candy. (a good sky, makes even the toughest judges go into nerdgasm) Ofcourse you need a lot more stars, and experiment with a moon and see if it fits into the terrain. Good luck, questioning for advice is always welcome ^^

Level 10
Okay, first thing to say is this one is much better. Background needs work, though. Moar trees, don't let them end in a line just make them continue but steadily Lower every new line of trees. So the closes trees should have only their tops viewed, etc. Now for water, stretched water doodad looks horrible. Instead of making the model size bigger, spawn more little ones so the goodie-ness of the texture still remains. In my opinion, lower the background mountain a bit, so there is more sky candy. (a good sky, makes even the toughest judges go into nerdgasm) Ofcourse you need a lot more stars, and experiment with a moon and see if it fits into the terrain. Good luck, questioning for advice is always welcome ^^

Ok, enough stars?

Attachments

• enough stars.jpg
    enough stars.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 108
Level 19
Uhm.. The stars aren't really well placed. Take a look at the picture I added. What you also can try is having the stars variate in scale and brightness, that will look far more realistic. ; )

Attachments

• DRAWING.jpg
    DRAWING.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 118
Level 10
Uhm.. The stars aren't really well placed. Take a look at the picture I added. What you also can try is having the stars variate in scale and brightness, that will look far more realistic. ; )

Ok, I'll try with that. Though I've been working on it a bit more. Take a look...

Can you see the progress? :p

Attachments

• WiPTerrain4.jpg
    WiPTerrain4.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 98
Level 10
To bright? And I have no idea what fog color I shall use :S Suggestions?

Also, how do you remove those darn boxes without using game viewing mode... Cause the sky will turn white if i use "V".

Edit: Pretty much done; (haha fairy fire :smile:)

Attachments

• WIPTERRAIN52Brightask.jpg
    WIPTERRAIN52Brightask.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 61
  • WIPTERRAIN6Prettymuchdone.jpg
    WIPTERRAIN6Prettymuchdone.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 99
Status
Not open for further replies.