• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Fortress of Pain - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I gonna post here my WIP's for the Fortress Challenge ... positive as negative critics are welcomed, and I started Terraining a few days ago :smile:

VIP01.jpg

VIP02.jpg

VIP03.jpg

VIP04.jpg

VIP05.jpg

VIP06.jpg

Chaos:infl_thumbs_up:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The terane looks too blocky especialy in screenshot 5 so perhaps line it with doodads or makes some towers along the wall (good looking towers).

The last 2 screenshots feature some kind of mining opperation. . .
The rails and carts look very good in it but the carts need to be higher up since it looks like they are running on the rail by their axles and on on the wheles.

Otherwise looks very good.

Level 8
I'm on it ... and somehow I get the feeling that you think this was not made by me ... This is 100% made by my own ...
... however ... I'll submit the map for the contest ... there you'll see it ... and yes I'm a beginner terrainer and I gonna fix your suggestions ... as good as I can ... anything else, cause I know there is not much to see in these ones ...

Last edited:
Level 8
Evil.....blizzard....cliffs..... My only real problem with it.

You can make better looking and more natural cliffs by editting a few parameters in the Warcraft 3 folder.

Open up the Warcraft 3 folder and open the UI folder. Under Misc data (It should be there already, its a text document) do a search for terrain. Look around that area for something with the words
// Maximum slope in degrees, (86+ will disable slope limits)

and set MaxSlope for any number greater than 86. This is will allow you to do immensly steep cliffs with the raise and lower terrain tool and avoid the disgusting blizzard cliffs.

If you do not have the file, google Warcraft 3 world edit max slope or something and you should be able to find the text file (I cant seem to upload anything on this site =/)

Level 8
Evil.....blizzard....cliffs..... My only real problem with it.

You can make better looking and more natural cliffs by editting a few parameters in the Warcraft 3 folder.

Open up the Warcraft 3 folder and open the UI folder. Under Misc data (It should be there already, its a text document) do a search for terrain. Look around that area for something with the words
// Maximum slope in degrees, (86+ will disable slope limits)

and set MaxSlope for any number greater than 86. This is will allow you to do immensly steep cliffs with the raise and lower terrain tool and avoid the disgusting blizzard cliffs.

If you do not have the file, google Warcraft 3 world edit max slope or something and you should be able to find the text file (I cant seem to upload anything on this site =/)

Would be nice if you explain me this later on, a bit more detailed, cause I do not know what you everything stands for ...

Level 8
well a lot of terrainers abandon blizzards gaudy looking cliffs for ones they feel are more natural and much less restricting. These arent exactly cliffs, but extreme elevations of terrain with a much steeper slope.

*****I cannot seem to upload the text file, however if you email me at [email protected] or IM me on Facelessgreed, ill be happy to send it to you (Or someone else can upload it)****

With this file you can raise the terrain to extreme heights and by using the plateau tool on the cliff. This will create the slope using only one medium gridspace. This can then be smoothed using the smooth tool to create a more well rounded cliff.

Some examples of the differences:

Shallow water:

Steep Cliffs/Regular Cliffs

Waterfall w/ Blizzard cliffs:

Waterfall w/ Steep cliffs:

I kind of went nuts on the last one. lol

When you do get the file (And im sure theres other places you can find it), open up your Warcraft 3 folder. (Should be something like C:\Program Files\Warcraft III.

After opening that folder, make a new folder titled UI. This is the folder you place the text file in.

Again i apologize for not uploading it but Hive Workshop seems to hate my computer.

Level 5
A quick question, lets say you make a map with the maximum slope tweaked. If someone else were to dl it and play it, would the large slopes be there? Or would their own settings restrict them from seeing these edits?

Level 8
Yep they show up fine. However if someone tries to edit it and does not have the misc.txt file, it will simply reset (very confusing when i first started looking at terrains)

Anyone else thinking i should just make the tutorial and petition for it to get stickied?

(I cant upload the file anyways, so if someone else wants to make the thread w/ what i put thats fine)

Status
Not open for further replies.