• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Archer (Gryphon Mount) and Derivatives

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Ujimasa Hojo Presents

Archer (Gryphon Mount) and Derivatives
Edited by Ujimasa Hojo

Archer (High Elf, Gryphon Mount) Info:

• Created a gryphon-mounted version of the High Elf Archer.
  • Uses animations of the Hippogryph Rider.

• High Elves who remained loyal to the Alliance lost access to their Dragonhawk Mounts. Hence, High Elves stationed in the Hinterlands have befriended the Wildhammer Dwarves and were allowed to utilize the tamed Gryphons of Aerie Peak.

• Resaved using Retera's model editor to avoid a bug.

• Changed the Death Sound.

Archer (Gryphon Mount, Blood Elf) Info:
  • Created a Blood Elf version of the Gryphon-mounted Archer.

• Uploaded.

Archer (Gryphon Mount, Knight of the Silver Hand) Info:
  • Created a version of the Gryphon-mounted Archer for the Knights of the Silver Hand.

Archer (Gryphon Mount, Kul Tiras) Info:
  • Created a version of the Gryphon-mounted Archer for Kul Tiras.

Ranger (High Elf, Gryphon Mount) Info:
  • Created a gryphon-mounted version of the High Elf Ranger.
  • Uses animations of the Hippogryph Rider.

Ranger (Gryphon Mount, Kul Tiras) Info:
  • Created a version of the Gryphon-mounted Ranger for Kul Tiras.

Keywords:
Highvale, Quel'thalas

Author's Notes and Trivia:
  • Optimized models have built-in portrait animations, fixed bugs (if there were any), additional animation (if applicable). These can be used to serve as a template for alternative skins if you want to keep the original skin and model.
  • Check out Ujimasa Hojo's Maps and Resources Discussions, and Tutorials. Please reply in these threads instead.
  • Check out the map and the model previews at my Youtube, BitChute, DailyMotion, and Rumble Channels as well and hopefully subscribe. Follow me on Twitter.
  • While I do these stuff as a hobby, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to accept donations from our more fortunate Hivers I suppose :p.
    • My PayPal is here.
    • My Patreon is here.
    • My SubscribeStar is here.
Previews
Contents

Archer (Gryphon Mount) (Model)

Archer (Gryphon Mount, Blood Elf) (Model)

Archer (Gryphon Mount, Knights of the Silver Hand) (Model)

Archer (Gryphon Mount, Kul Tiras) (Model)

Ranger (Gryphon Mount) (Model)

Ranger (Gryphon Mount, Kul Tiras) (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
Useful to some users.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Ooh, I'm really glad you used the Beta Ranger skin for the rider; the green skin-paint really make it viable for use as a Wildhammer unit (though it's hard to say 'no' to the standard hammer-tossing Dwarf)

Might you consider/allow some minor adjustments to the rider to achieve Dwarvish proportions?

Level 60
Ooh, I'm really glad you used the Beta Ranger skin for the rider; the green skin-paint really make it viable for use as a Wildhammer unit (though it's hard to say 'no' to the standard hammer-tossing Dwarf)

Might you consider/allow some minor adjustments to the rider to achieve Dwarvish proportions?

I try to avoid moving vertices around to avoid clipping problems. This is why I stick to rewrapping most of the time.

Level 9
Somewhat, yes. I'm planning on creating an event of the Fall of Kul Tiras from your Desolation: Boralus City map. Detailing the Kul Tirans' last stand against the demons to allow the people to evacuate.

Edit: also, is there a way to have an easier way of correspondence with you, @Ujimasa Hojo?

Level 26
Amusing, the inability to block your models when looking for new models was one of the larger reasons why I stopped uploading models to the hive. The fact that your works that you cranked out by the hundreds every month got the same approval ratings as my works that I spent months on was demotivating. I still make models occasionally though, just doesn't really upload them.

After a while you kind of dislike the site rather than the modelers. The existence of the trash section kind of furthers that divide. It's not really something you earn. The floodgates are on and the filter is minuscule.

Level 7
Amusing, the inability to block your models when looking for new models was one of the larger reasons why I stopped uploading models to the hive. The fact that your works that you cranked out by the hundreds every month got the same approval ratings as my works that I spent months on was demotivating. I still make models occasionally though, just doesn't really upload them.

After a while you kind of dislike the site rather than the modelers. The existence of the trash section kind of furthers that divide. It's not really something you earn. The floodgates are on and the filter is minuscule.
While you might have a point, you also should keep in that mind that Ujimasa fills a niche of models that, while not being major edits, are fitting, versatile and oftentimes creative (as seen with his building packs). I know I've used a fair share of them as they were providing me with means of creating races I otherwise would be unable to properly recreate with any other Hive model.

Level 26
It's all fair and good. I'm just saying that personally it kills my motivation to submit models here. If people here are happy by that, then all the more for him. I on the other hand felt it undermined my reasons for modeling and thus is one reason among many reasons why I ultimately left. I do end up getting back from time to time, click pending, get discouraged and leave once more. Happens for me whenever I click pending basically.

Last edited:
Level 60
I knew something like this has been boiling for some time now amongst certain circles but I guess the cat's out of the bag.

The fact that your works that you cranked out by the hundreds every month got the same approval ratings as my works that I spent months on was demotivating. I still make models occasionally though, just doesn't really upload them.

Never understood why some people get angry when other people enjoy amateurish stuff. Again, I do these stuff for fun. I enjoy "dressing up" units. I enjoy "repainting" buildings. And I enjoy seeing other people do amazing maps with my stuff. When my stuff was "banned" from the official Resources section, I continued on "underground" in the forums. When the Substandard section opened up, I was happy and is content at my stuff being relegated there.

I'd gladly become a mod if only so I can automatically place my stuff under the Substandard section, your Majesty. But then again, ...

Seem's like you don't want the Substandard section either because "trash" could still get enough exposure amongst the users of this site.

But seriously, what the hell is with this bitterness about my "trash" getting the same approval ratings as yours? First of all, this is a game and therefore primarily for fun. If you want some sort of validation, go join the various competitions hosted by this site. Or better yet, focus your efforts on something else. Second, it really irks me that I am being blamed by some on why they left this site as if it was a deliberate conspiracy to turn them off from going here. Third, the Warcraft 3 modding community is small nowadays and outright hostility like this is not gonna help. And to think that I was hoping Reforged is gonna breathe life into this site.

Level 26
It's not that I'm angry. It's just that it's not really about earning a place among brighter models anymore, anything goes. Before it was something to strive for, to be able to have your models placed among legendary creations. To increase the quality of yours to be able to earn the right to stand by their side as an experienced modeler. Now it's not a question if you get approved, it's a question where it goes. Which demotivates you from advancing in skill. But to make models without advancement is boring to me. So I stop. If I make models today, it's not because I want to share. It's because I make something for me, which I don't need to share.

As for the cat out of the bag. The cat left the bag years ago, it has bred numerous litters who each got their own bag and then left the bag again. There was a rather lively debate a while back that ended with most experienced modelers leaving. I'm not referring to zero tolerance though. This happened after.

But eh, it's in the past. My point was merely that I'm saddened that you don't desire to improve. From my point of view, it feels like a waste. That is all. If you poured as much energy into improving as you do with uploading those kind of models, you would've been on par with Grendel as far as quality goes. The reason I'm saying this is because I remember when Grendel was a beginner. The time needed for him to increase the complexity of his models was fairly quick. A year, a year and half, not much more than that.

As for the substandard section's existence. It came to be because I half serious suggested a trash section. Sub-standard was the more diplomatic name for it that they ran with. It was during discussions of quality vs usefulness back in 2015. Mostly because they considered me to strict and wanted me to be able to get a decent compromise that I could throw models into if I deemed the models to be too simple, but was extremely useful regardless of this point. That is why sub-standard exists. Well, and because people started hosting threads with their resources that became a nightmare to manage.

One final point. This isn't hostility. This is an explanation. I'm not fighting it anymore. That is why I say I simply leave with sadness. What the hive used to be was basically like an artistic gallery. You earned your place. Scribbles would be rejected. It's not because scribbles were not useful, it's just that prioritizing growth was the goal before. The shift in mindset does not align with me and people like me, that is why we left. We return hopeful that something might've changed and then leave again, equally disappointed.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I feel like I can almost understand your viewpoint, MiniMage, except insofar as the very existence of a Substandard section (which, by it's nature, is easily screened out when Searching) causes you that same sadness/frustration. By the way, even if it was the "original" name, calling it "Trash" is pretty unambiguously derogatory; especially when talking to the person who populates that section.

MiniMage said:
The fact that your works that you cranked out by the hundreds every month got the same approval ratings as my works that I spent months on was demotivating.
The current system still has stars (i.e. two resources can be Approved but can still have different levels of quality & work recognized), and most importantly you know whether or not you have advanced, independent of what other people think.

MiniMage said:
My point was merely that I'm saddened that you don't desire to improve. From my point of view, it feels like a waste.

~~~

Really, though, I simply find it amusing to read things like this:
It's not really something you earn.
It's just that it's not really about earning a place among brighter models anymore, anything goes. Before it was something to strive for, to be able to have your models placed among legendary creations. To increase the quality of yours to be able to earn the right to stand by their side as an experienced modeler.
What the hive used to be was basically like an artistic gallery. You earned your place. Scribbles would be rejected.
I find it amusing because that's what we all considered the great Warcraft 3 Campaigns.net website to be about! The Hive (like Wc3sear.ch before it) was the 'dumping ground', the 'sub-standard' section, the 'anything goes', the 'scribbles accepted here' resource site!! Wc3c.net was the 'art gallery', the 'creme de la creme', the apex of Wc3 custom modeling! In fact, there are those who would argue that that was Wc3c.net's ultimate downfall; simply being too elitist & perfectionist with it's (artistic) requirements. And I don't think they'd entirely be wrong.

I don't know what Hive you are remembering... And to be fair, Wc3c.net is a ghost-town now, with the Hive having come into it's own as the preeminent custom resource download website... But everything you said about what the Hive has become? That's what the Hive always was, as far as I'm concerned! I'm glad it's gotten better, for sure.

Level 22
@MiniMage would perhaps Featured models list displayed like Hosted Maps in map section be a solution to your issue?
Quick mockup:
nyav9aK.png

Having something like that would provide exposure to models created by more talented and experienced artists.. Also it would give you a spot to earn and something to strive for when creating your models. Having feature last for like a month or something and possibly reward the featured artists with some reputation points.

Last edited:
Level 26
By the way, even if it was the "original" name, calling it "Trash" is pretty unambiguously derogatory; especially when talking to the person who populates that section.
Okay, I don't agree, but you're free to share your opinion, just as I did.

I don't know what Hive you are remembering... And to be fair, Wc3c.net is a ghost-town now, with the Hive having come into it's own as the preeminent custom resource download website... But everything you said about what the Hive has become? That's what the Hive always was, as far as I'm concerned! I'm glad it's gotten better, for sure.

In the past, if I uploaded anything simple, in the old hive. I would be mocked relentlessly. You either improved or you were ground into the dirt. Now, I can't say that it was the healthiest environment. But the ranking system, even if flawed in its concept and caused conflicts. It inspired you to improve. Your experience might've been very different. I can't see the world from other people's eyes. Only my own. As far as modding wc3 goes. It has been on the decline in years. Most of those on wc3c basically just moved on sooner as they advanced beyond that of warcraft and pursued more complex games to mod. I'm not really sure what argument you're trying to make but you do you I guess.

@MiniMage would perhaps Featured models list displayed like Hosted Maps in map section be a solution to your issue?
Quick mockup:
nyav9aK.png

Having something like that would provide exposure to models created by more talented and experienced artists.. Also it would give you a spot to earn and something to strive for when creating your models. Having feature last for like a month or something and possibly reward the featured artists with some reputation points.

You don't need to appease me though. I've been getting comments describing my thoughts as harsh and mean. I'm not gonna say you're not free to think that, but I just find I'm sharing what I genuinely believe. I may possibly be somewhat blunt about It, I don't know. I've always been blunt, call it a weakness or a strength, it's all how you look at it. Today I'm a rare outliner of a past hiveworkshop. I described how I viewed the gallery and how the old hive was for me and others like me. You don't need to agree with me, but you can't declare that my view is wrong, just different from yours. I stated that I gave up a long time ago, so to make fixes to appease me is strange since back when we left.. I don't know, 2 years ago? Something like that, we literally just disappeared like smoke in the wind. Just fix the search and that would be a big step, there's no need to do major fixes. Just fix what needs to work and those here who enjoy what is, will enjoy it more. I've never truly felt I belonged anywhere and as such would find it selfish if fixes were employed simply to appease me. It was the update of expansion of map size and a major overhaul to efficiency and ability to host maps that gave the spark to the hive back and brought many modders back. There's currently some problems with old code literally being erased when saved with the newest map editor since JNGP no longer works and I don't know any editors that are available that can compile jass code. Anyhow, I'm getting off track.

I still make models often, I do it for the fun, because I like to. I do simple texture swaps and animation tweaks too. I just don't upload them. I show some pictures now and then on the discord servers, or do requests or trades.. but that's about it. I don't really upload much models anymore because I don't really see the point anymore. The only things I upload nowadays is things I've been delaying for a long time that I promised I would upload. For example, I plan on uploading an UI that I completed but never uploaded because I lost my programs I used to give my textures alpha layers. Recently Mr. Goblin requested a model request trade and fixed it up for me. I'll upload it sometime tomorrow. I did promise I would upload it, so I will. I keep my promises or it'll haunt me.

Occasionally I might upload models because I sometimes feel it is a waste for them to gather dust on my harddrive. But I don't know, the thrill is gone. Even back then while driven to improve, it always felt like no one used your stuff. It felt like a grand gallery before, it doesn't anymore. So now it's submitting work that you know will be buried quickly, will sit in the pending section for about three months, enough for you to even forget about it. There's no sense of reward left for me. When a model was submitted people would flock like birds to crumbs on the ground and would rate it all 5/5 and leave. if you rate everything 5/5 you render a voting system null and void. People don't post warcraft 3 resources here because the site is ideal, it's being posted here because it's the only active community left.

I find that people here at the hive crank out in case of a possible future need, not to fill a need. By the hundreds. My personal feeling on the matter is that it's wasting potential. Because while the tweaks are simple, it's still a person that has a foot in both mesh adjustment and animation tinkering. Meaning that the fundamental building blocks you need to know is already there. To make fully custom models is but a smell step from there.

Anyhow, I'm not gonna clutter this thread much more. I dropped my thoughts. Agree or Disagree, that's up to you. You're free to contact me on discord if you guys want to chat. That's all.
/MiniMge

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
@MiniMage mate, please, if you don't like it, leave it. You're accusing @Ujimasa Hojo for breaking your motivation over your dislike of his work. No one said he was a master but he's doing quite a favour for the community. A lot of the things he does, no one bothered to do, not even in original form, so such variations are quite welcome.
If you think his amateurish work should reside in Substandard, it's an opinion. Let me tell you, this does not compare with recolouring of icons, so in my book, this sort of work is proper for approval.
There are resources ripped from Blizzard games which are approved. I think that is something to comment upon rather than this.
Do you want a special tag for his model variations? Ask @Ralle to make a better search engine where you could exclude resources based on uploader usernames?
The only downside of threads instead of Substandard would've been the search. Other than that, everyone is free to upload things under the site rules. You know, there is debate that Substandard actually has good stuff among real trash.
And honestly, I am not tired of seeing this sort of work.

You need to sort out your ego. If you don't do something for fun, then why do it? If you seek gratitude, you'll most of the time find sorrow.
If you're intent is not to share, then why even be here? It's only harmful to you. People will use your models and be grateful for them even if you think they'll be lost amidst Ujimasa's myriad uploads. Be certain, they will truly be lost to oblivion being on your hard drive only. Newer resources will always take the place of older ones even if only artistically made. You don't expect the site to only host yours, do you? Be happy, this site is still active.
You can always do requests if you feel like it instead of uploading regularly. Usually, artists do what they feel and requests are only for when they need something in return.
Why are you concerned with other people then? Does it affect your life whether they improve or not? Aren't you the one to improve? If you want to help people improve, make some tutorials and even then no one is forced to improve. Some can't.
This is not a place to compete, earn a better position to earn more money. It's a community of hobbyists, virtual friends. People do stuff here because they dedicate their time for it, not because they expect something in return.
Not being able to see beyond your sight means not being able to tolerate which creates conflict within yourself and with the exterior.
The site's policy has changed from a meritocracy to socialism but that doesn't have to throw you into depression. You can still change things as you did (since you wrote that the Substandard section appeared due to you). Instead of accusing a user, who happens to be respecting the site's policies, you should debate the situation with the community and the staff.

Level 17
I really like these models, and I really like Ujimasa Hojo's models. They give a much needed variety to mapping.

For example, I have an rpg where many characters and enemies are peasants, militia, and bandits.
Sure, I could play around with attachments (and I do), but using two bloody models for the 20+ NPCs and 30+ combatant units would make the whole map a joke.

Having access to Hojo's derivatives on militia and peasant is a godsent, man.

As much as I respect the work and talent put into unique / original models and their creators, such as MiniMage, this is a wrong use of elitism.

Level 5
This is a nifty pack, Ujimasa Hojo.

<Comment moved to the Resource Discussion thread>.

5/5. These ones function well and add some much-needed variety to the mounted air units / heroes available to the Alliance.

- Sin

Last edited: