• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Aparently, Starcraft II Version of DotA is comming...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Just. Don't. Play. It.

Nah, I dunno. If he keeps the icons like that, it won't work out. Besides, a big portion of the DotA players went to Heroes of Newerth / Leagues of Legends (LoL q.q), so my guess it won't be that popular.

Level 7
I don't know what everyone is making such a fuss about.

The original mapper of DotA most likely won't make a direct conversion for SCII. So what we'll get are a lot of crappy wannabe DotA maps. Until someone manages to make a proper AoS, which will get popular enough. I don't think somethink like DotA will happen again in SCII. But you'll never know, everything is possible with the new editor.
Everything it takes is a dedicated mapper.

Level 9
I'm tired of people hating on DotA. It's an okay map, and with the new hosting system it doesn't even look like it will take up the entire custom games list. No need to worry (as if there was anyways).

You don't like it, don't play it. Simple.

Level 30
I don't know what everyone is making such a fuss about.

The original mapper of DotA most likely won't make a direct conversion for SCII. So what we'll get are a lot of crappy wannabe DotA maps. Until someone manages to make a proper AoS, which will get popular enough. I don't think somethink like DotA will happen again in SCII. But you'll never know, everything is possible with the new editor.
Everything it takes is a dedicated mapper.

Dito. And if you check the corresponding video at sc2mapsters, you'll see that the current gameplay quality isn't at its best, especially by mixing up fantasy heroes with future warfare which stays quite noticeable.

Level 30
Great, then you have a 1:1 copy of the original map rather than using the chance of creating something refreshing. That's the possibly worst thing they could do and thus, i'm totally not afraid ;)

And honestly, importing the old models for this? SC2 doesn't even offer the spell-related circumstances the map is using in Wc3.

Level 6
I'm tired of people hating on DotA. It's an okay map, and with the new hosting system it doesn't even look like it will take up the entire custom games list. No need to worry (as if there was anyways).

Sure, DotA was a good map. Although it was not as good as the hype it got. I mean I know players who only joined to Wc3 to play DotA. They have been AoS nearly as good as DotA, just not as detailed.

Level 3
Great, then you have a 1:1 copy of the original map rather than using the chance of creating something refreshing. That's the possibly worst thing they could do and thus, i'm totally not afraid ;)

And honestly, importing the old models for this? SC2 doesn't even offer the spell-related circumstances the map is using in Wc3.

Well said. It feels totaly out of place. I'd play any other AOS with the starcraft theme over this (and I like playing dota).

Sure, DotA was a good map. Although it was not as good as the hype it got. I mean I know players who only joined to Wc3 to play DotA. They have been AoS nearly as good as DotA, just not as detailed.

Dota's strong point is balance. Other AOS maps usually lack the balance dota has to offer (but you can expect that, since the map is being constantly balanced over the years). AOS's also suffer from dota fanboys who (as you said) refuse to play something other than dota.

Besides that, Icefrog is working with Valve to make a stand-alone dota game at this time. That's why he isnt gonna remake the map in sc2 (that, plus he agrees that dota theme doesnt fit in sc2's theme).

Level 22
I agree with Paladon because I expected a futuristic Dota, with Protoss, Zerg untis not War3 untis and icons ... again... So yes I also won't play i much. I mean you can get this better in war3 and no need to import models. why need magic and heros in sc 2 ....

I agree with Paladon because I expected a futuristic Dota, with Protoss, Zerg untis not War3 untis and icons ... again... So yes I also won't play i much. I mean you can get this better in war3 and no need to import models. why need magic and heros in sc 2 ....

I agree here. However, an Sc2 dota would be a lot better, just look at the sc2mapster's Spell Contest, all those spells normally require a lot of coding in wc3 while in sc2 they are made just with the data editor. I think a well made AoS in sc2 will be definetly better than wc3's dota.

Level 10
Quick, what do we do? Sabotage it?
Wasn't there a thread about how you could register map names by submitting junk projects and the names would be entirely unusable by anyone else? So, just spam lots of DotA/DotA Allstars/DotA 4lls74rz/etc. :mwahaha:

I kid, I kid.

Also: LOL @ everyone saying a StarCraft-themed AoS would be cool. Uh, gee: Aeon of Strife, which was the genre-namer (AoS) and inspiration for subsequent maps including DotA, was a StarCraft map.

Level 11

Its the snobby community that most of us don't like. Well that's what I don't like anyways. Also the fact that (at least before the major bot hosting era we are in) half the custom games list is different dota games.

Level 4
DoTa wasn't a bad map, it just wasn't to interesting to me. Many others also agreed and so everyone got angry at all the DoTa players because A many DoTa players where trollish morons thus creating a horrible community, and B it took up the entire list and kicked many maps interesting to other people off the list (R.I.P. Builder type maps like medieval builder, village builder, etc).

I don't support the reproduction of it since its overly played, but I could probably care less if they made one as the new possibilities make for much more interesting and fun map ideas than simple (or even complex) AoS maps.

Level 3
DoTA was almost as bad as Xbox live when it comes to trolls. I hope to god that it's next iteration isn't full of those goat-eating bastards.

Dont have high expectations. It's not the dota community, it's the gaming community in general. They flame even on sheep tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.