• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Animation Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hello guys.

When I animate, I rotate and move my bones, but whenever I rotate and move, the mesh that the bones are attached to moves away from the mesh that they are supposed to be attached to.

Like, I have a torso and my arm needs to be rotated because I want it to slash. Now, when I rotate it, it goes away from the torso so I have to move the vertices to remove the gap between the two meshes.

I hope that explained it. Now, is there a way to do that, or do I have to do it this way? Seems too time consuming.

I'm using Max 5 and Auto Key.

Level 25
1. your mesh is not connected. You must attach all the mesh parts in one mesh and make sure that vertexes are also connected than in User property editor / mesh properties and click on the connected button
Than select your mesh and detach part by part from the mesh ( for example: LeftUpperArm, LeftLowerArm, LeftHand and so on...)
When you animate in 3d max view the mesh will be detached, just leave it so. Then in Warcraft III Preview when you preview the model the mesh will be connected.
2. Never animate the mesh!! Why are you useing mesh boxes for bones?
It would be more simple to use real bones
you can find them in Character/Bone tools

I uploaded you model just to show you how it works
the left arm is animated without Art tools
and the right arm is animated and mesh is connected with art tools

Attachments

• TheJuggernaut.max
    296.5 KB · Views: 69
Level 9
Well, about the bone-boxes thingy, this told me to.

> your mesh is not connected. You must attach all the mesh parts in one mesh and make sure that vertexes are also connected than in User property editor / mesh properties and click on the connected button

I didn't get that. 'Make sure that vertexes are also connected than in User property editor / mesh properties' - what? I know what User Property Editor is, but I really didn't get this.

> When you animate in 3d max view the mesh will be detached, just leave it so. Then in Warcraft III Preview when you preview the model the mesh will be connected.

Didn't get this either.

Else, thank you very much, +rep.

Sorry, I'm still new at modeling.

Level 25
Well, about the bone-boxes thingy, this told me to.

thats for simple models like that snowman or buildings...
your model is more complex and it needs real bones :)
> You must attach all the mesh parts in one mesh and make sure that vertexes are also connected than in User property editor / mesh properties and click on the connected button

Watch this Mesh attach and detach, vertex connect

Sorry, I'm still new at modeling.
reading more and more tutorials you will learn it

Status
Not open for further replies.