• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to move vertexes, not entire meshes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi'm now working on a Warthog model, which you can see here.
The thing I wanted to know is; How do I move/rotate/scale the vertextes, not the entire mesh. I use bones, attach them to the meshes seperately, but that'll just be mesh-lumps moving around, not moving a single vertex or something... So if I in the future wants to make some unit models animated, I would be stuck moving his arms off his shoulders and back on again at the end of the animation...

Can anyone help me out with this?

Last edited:
Level 9
First, you can only translate vertices. I haven't learned how to animate in 3dsmax, but in Maya once you skinned the skeleton to the model, you can't modify its attributes. You must use deformers in order to do that. If you want to edit it before you skin the skeleton it is very simple, you just need to switch into vertex control.

Level 6
Go to the user property editor and check the 'connected' property (assuming you are using Blizzard's art tools.) It is under the utilities tab. Then, meshes that have vertices next to each other in the unanimated state will stick together when they are animated.

Status
Not open for further replies.