• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Animation Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to control what animation a unit plays when it attacks, or negate the attack animation altogether? (This is for use in my Persistent Beam system).

Let's say I have an Archmage. When he attacks instead of playing his normal attack animation, it plays it's channel animation instead, and any consequent attack animations are cancelled so that they don't interrupt the channeling animation. This is maintained until the persistent beam is terminated.

Is that at all possible?

You can always override an animation by triggering a new animation.

But to be honest, it's way easier to modify the model.

In your case however, why not make the persistent beam a channeled ability and just use the object data field that defines the cast animation?

I need to catch the damage inflicted with a DDS, this allows buffs/debuffs to attack damage to affect the beam's dps. Using an ability prevents me from doing that, sadly.

I just tested this with Archmage and it worked fine.
  • Melee Initialization
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is attacked
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Animation - Play (Attacking unit)'s channel animation, using only Common animations

A potential solution, but that causes the channel animation to restart with every attack. Is there a way to cancel the attack animation without affecting the channelling one?

Not if that means I have have to script all buffs and debuffs as well. Using a DDS I just have to base the damage off the one inflicted and all damage increase/decrease and attack speed increase/decrease is factored in an averaged dps. That's then divided in the number of hits per second. The idea is to replaced base attacks with a beam the same way some units in sc2 have (like the Sentry or the void ray)

Status
Not open for further replies.