• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

An Animation Bank? Should we make one?

Would you like that we create an Animation Bank?

• Yes, sounds original and could help others make better models.

Votes: 47 100.0%
  • No, I don't like the idea because....(post reason)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know guys, I've been asking myself. There are so many good mdledits out there but most of them always use the same blizzard animations. So I was thinking that we could create a thread through which we could share our animations to those mdl editers.

The idea is simple: We pass our animations to the villager model or any wc3 units and we use a common Bone Structure for everything to be able to transfer animations.

I myself have thousends of models which I have animated and I would like to share some of those Anims. Among them I have Mario-animations, Fensters, Swordsmen, Musketteers, etc. I think this could help the community a lot.

So what do you say?

Level 18
Yeah... I should make some too.

Btw, if you go to XGM.ru and download the English version of MdlVis, you will be able to transfer animations without all that bone renaming and stuff... And all the work needed for even scratch modeling could be done with only Magos and MdlVis. ^.^

Well, I'd say that there be a couple of models used as "animation banks" due to the different bone structures:
- Humanoid - all humanoid models - humans, orcs, elves, ogres.
- Tauric - tauren/Archimonde/Doomguard/Razormane/whatever humanoid with hooves.
- centaur - centaur/magnataur/pitlord.
- Dwarf - well the human skeleton would do, but adjusting proportions would be annoying if it needs to be done everytime. Could be useful for other short races, like goblins and kobolds.
- Mounted - Knight/Garithos (with its duplicate geosets I'd not recommend)/Death Knight,Archmage/Wolfrider.
- Vehicle - Catapult/Ballista/Steam tank.
- Flying - all types of winged creatures. Well, I guess a humanoid skeleton would do it for a gargoyle, but what if someone wants the arms to move separately from the wings?
- Flying mounted - well someone would require custom animations for his wisp butterfly rider, right?
- Reptilian - well few people make models which walk on their tails, but what if someone decides to make a naga or hydralisk with custom animations?

Yeah... I should make some too.

Btw, if you go to XGM.ru and download the English version of MdlVis, you will be able to transfer animations without all that bone renaming and stuff... And all the work needed for even scratch modeling could be done with only Magos and MdlVis. ^.^

well I use 3dsmax for anim transfering, but I doubt most people here use mdlvis, I think most use oinker's so we need to have a convention.

Yeah this is a great idea BlinkBoy :D
I also have a lot of animations I never posted and maybe I could add them on the villagers bone structure.
Will requesting be allowed in that thread?

hmm, I could make a Animation Request thread at the Request forum and link both threads.

xXm0RpH3usXx said:
well, you can easily animate using motion capture data, cant you?
i mean, you can convert it with blinks neodex script

Yeah, but that's if you use 3dsmax and you have the animations in that format. However, this is mainly for MDL editers who don't use 3dsmax.

Level 26
That has got to be one of the best ideas i have ever heard!
You know what else would be helpful though... not only a full-animation "bank" but also partial rotation keyframes, put in a thread like a library.

Once you get the hang of using notepad to edit models in mdl format, It can be an invaluable tool for manually editing and tweaking animations. creating a list of simple, "mostly used" rotations in linear format or hermite (linear for warforger animations hermite for blizzard) to rotate bones 90, 180, 270, 360 degrees on the XYZ axis'. or other useful things. Such as a full 360 rotation for wheels on vehicles. or a 30 to -30 turn sequence to put on tanks (as a "looking" stand-2 animation) or 90 for a simple "raised arm" movement

Something like that however, would most likely not merit a full section. But if you do make an animation bank (which would be a kickass idea), maybe you could put a thread in that section with an organized library of these simple and useful rotations.

Status
Not open for further replies.