Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Altered Melee] [ALPHA] Lord of the Rings : Peoples of Middle Earth

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by TheFrenchLeprechaun, Jan 15, 2014.

1. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    O0oo0o nice you got a team going. Awesome - that map should be interesting and beautiful I'm sure. Well, yeah - so much triggering for buildable walkable walls...

Do it! No worries, no rush - just get to it eventually and write it down so you don't forget.

2. TheFrenchLeprechaun

TheFrenchLeprechaun

Resources:
    Resources:
    Bump!

Hum, I'm mean the Alpha is available :3...

3. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Where?! EDIT: Nvm found it on first page - wish I could test right now but I gotta study for a test soon. I'll let you know what I think tomorrow

4. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Just tested your alpha. The loading screen is nice however it lacks a description. The units are a little big in relation to buildings but maybe you wanted that since regular wc3 was like that. Wow - all your models are really great man. Plenty of creeps and army units, love it. It feels like classic wc3 melee plus extra stuff in LotR style - I find it quite enjoyable and nostalgic. Good job with Gollum however that thing is way too fast. The map also feels a bit out of place being standard wc3, however I'm sure your Moria map will feel right. Stats need some updating - armor amounts don't make very much sense for some units and heroes don't benefit from upgrades. HP & Damage amounts are fine but could be tweaked for balance.

Overall great job mate - its a nice experience for wc3 and will be a lot better once you change the regular map with custom LotR maps. I'm excited to play other races and maps once they're implemented. And lets get a group test later this week - should help with balancing.

5. TheFrenchLeprechaun

TheFrenchLeprechaun

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks a lot for your feedback!

It is temporary, I plan to have one loading screen per playable terrain. Probably a landscape artwork that fits the terrain. I'm not a big fan of descriptions on loading screens. One thing that could be great in the same idea would be to add random tips such as strength and weakness of a faction, hidden mecanics, strategic advices, etc... But I don't think it's possible to do...

Yes, I followed wc3 on this field. But it's maybe not the best way to do it. You're not the only one to raise this problem. But my question is : are the buildings too small? Or the units too big? Strange question I know :p...

That's one of the main goals of the MOD. The LOTR universe (in terms of graphics) is now well known thanks to the 6 movies and I decided to try to fit as much as possible this representation. For the lore I decided to follow the books (from what I know from them because I didn't read them, shaaaaaaaaaame). That's why the Balrog is named Gothmog for example.

The one ring grants great powers, and only one player can benefit them. You must deserve those powers ;)! Some units are more effective in Gollum's hunt than others.

Can you give more details what you meant about armor amounts? Perhaps giving me some concrete examples?
    If I remember well, heroes don't benefit upgrades in standard wc3 melee, except maybe ultravision

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  6. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

Very nice. That's good to have each terrain unique with its own loading screen.

Hahaha, I would say the buildings are too small however it's hard to make the buildings bigger and find the correct pathing files - so it would be easier to just make the units smaller. A combination of making both buildings bigger and units smaller could also work well.

The first unit from the gondor barracks has 2 armor (no shield, decent armor), the second unit also has 2 armor (with shield, decent armor) - how does the second unit have same armor as the first unit when they have a shield? The second unit should have more armor then the first and receive more points for each upgrade.
    Yeah I know wc3 melee is like that, however for heroes that use armor and weapons, like Aragorn, they should realistically benefit from upgrades.

Awesome - great work, keep it up.

7. TheFrenchLeprechaun

TheFrenchLeprechaun

Resources:
    Resources:
  8. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  9. TheFrenchLeprechaun

TheFrenchLeprechaun

Resources:
    Resources:
    I guess you talk about Bolg? It's a temporary alternate form (for now, may change). The spell is based on Metamorphosis (Night Elves) and grants stats bonus (HP, speed, range and attack cooldown).

10. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Interesting - would be nice to be permant and switchable for realism but hey I guess your way is more default wc3. Cool - nice models too as usual

11. TheFrenchLeprechaun

TheFrenchLeprechaun

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes, it would improve realism, but I don't know if it would improve the gameplay. There's no chance that the player switches back to the regular bow version once the mounted version unlocked. The spell would become kind of a passive spell that only boosts some stats of the hero, and to my mind this option lacks originality and strategy (that's already what does some items/equipments).

12. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    True, true. Yeah, good point

13. TheFrenchLeprechaun

TheFrenchLeprechaun

Resources:
    Resources:
    There are some permanent transformations that should come out with the BETA (especially for Silvan elves), but for units. They enable to switch between two attack types and/or two unit types. That supposes to have a different use of the unit depending on which version you've selected. In this case, the permanent transformation has a strategical impact on the gameplay!

14. Lord_Marrowgrath

Lord_Marrowgrath

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    That's why I like ''Warcraft 3'' It seems like battle for middle-earth on warcraft 3. I'm fan of fantasy strategy especially about Lotr. I'm looking forward. Good luck by the way! +rep

15. T77df

T77df

Resources:
    Resources:
    You must play Lord of Ring - Rise of the Witch King game. There is too many idea you can use.

16. TheFrenchLeprechaun

TheFrenchLeprechaun

Resources:
    Resources:
  17. TheFrenchLeprechaun

TheFrenchLeprechaun

Resources:
    Resources:
  18. TheFrenchLeprechaun

TheFrenchLeprechaun

Resources:
    Resources:
  19. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I hope elves will be implemented soon !

Also that Osgiliath map looks epic, great work.

20. TheFrenchLeprechaun

TheFrenchLeprechaun

Resources:
    Resources: