• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

All in One Mapper #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
This is just an idea I had.
A Contest to see who can be the best Solo mapper.
As in everything the User uses must either be blizzard made or self made.
Example:
Apocalypse may use his own spell but not The Devil Reborn's Spell's...
The Mapper may not use anyone else's recourses, Just his own.
Own icons,model,spells,skins or just blizards...
obviously more points for own things...

There would obviously be a topic…
All in One Mapper #1 :
Type map: RPG
Topic: Voidwalker...or something...

Level 8
yeah, Maybe allow doodad models, but i don't think modelers will have an upper hand, what about skinners, 2D Artists... I think the scoring system will only allows 25 points for custom things...and the other 75 for different things...
I think you would need at least 2 months...

Level 11
if the mod don't approve this
you could make a challenge,the challenger would be you and the rival would be anyone that wants to take part
so it's still the same as a contest because there is still awards like rep except that there is no icons
you can only use your own resource ? that's really not fair,you can imagine people
only know how to trigger,doesn't know to model
you should just say no imports allowed

Level 37
To make this contest even more unique don't allow even Blizzard models/skins and icons, so everything starts from zero. What the heck, why don't we all do first our own world editors?

Anyway, modelers have a high upper hand in this contest. Just allow to use others' models.

I wouldn't join to this contest because of the great unbalance.

Level 8
To make this contest even more unique don't allow even Blizzard models/skins and icons, so everything starts from zero. What the heck, why don't we all do first our own world editors?

I think this would be impossible...

Anyway, modelers have a high upper hand in this contest. Just allow to use others' models.

As i previosly said this is not true? what about icon makes? 2d Artist? Spell makers?
some are great in jass and cant make models, opposite is true aswell great modeller, but it wont help if you dont even know how to make a spell... so it kinda balances out....

I think blizzard models and things may be used, because not everyone can models, of course you get more points for making your own...

Level 37
I think this would be impossible...

As i previosly said this is not true? what about icon makes? 2d Artist? Spell makers?
some are great in jass and cant make models, opposite is true aswell great modeller, but it wont help if you dont even know how to make a spell... so it kinda balances out....

I think blizzard models and things may be used, because not everyone can models, of course you get more points for making your own...

Yea, but most likely the one who can make models can also do icons and own unique effects.

Level 10
Yea, but most likely the one who can make models can also do icons and own unique effects.

If you can't make pretty models, then make the gameplay awesome.

If you can't make the gameplay awesome, make pretty models.

If you can't do either, then why the hell are you in a modding competition?

Making games is about being a skilled individual in many aspects, you can't pick one thing and never do anything else. Most game programmers can do whole projects on their own, you must learn at least a little of every aspect.

Welcome to life, brah!

Level 23
The point alot of us are missing is that this is a mapping contest not a resource contest.
So what if you can make your own models?
Its a contest on the quality of the map, not how good the models you have in are.
If it bothers you that much, simply add a limit to how many imports a map can have.

Well said :)

If you can't do either, then why the hell are you in a modding competition?

Making games is about being a skilled individual in many aspects, you can't pick one thing and never do anything else. Most game programmers can do whole projects on their own, you must learn at least a little of every aspect.

Welcome to life, brah!

I have to disagree with this. If you make awesome models, but shit for gameplay, you won't win, and if you can't model worth shit, but make do with what you have, and make something epic, you have more of a chance. Also, models and gameplay is not the only things that matter, there are icons, textures, and spells/systems. Much more than what you would think.

Level 10
I have to disagree with this. If you make awesome models, but shit for gameplay, you won't win, and if you can't model worth shit, but make do with what you have, and make something epic, you have more of a chance. Also, models and gameplay is not the only things that matter, there are icons, textures, and spells/systems. Much more than what you would think.

Different people put different weights on certain apects.

The point of my post was that you should let shine through your strength, and not shitstorm yourself for your faults and make nothing. If you are bad at a certain part, then shine through with the other ones.

Level 17
I agree its totally unfair for people who cant model. If your awardgin 25 points on custom things and this is down to just models or skins its a bit odd. Better would be 25 points on custom thing like models and including triggered systems.
Also sounds fun just biased >.> !Vote for this to be accepted

Level 6
Hmmmmm I'd be willing to be a judge the mapping aspects.

I'd participate if I was any good at icons/models. D:

Also, for those that think this would be unfair to people who can't model/ texture/create icons, just think.
You can't do that, but you can probably code or terrain or something else that is needed.
I doubt that people that can do those things, can code or terrain.

So while you may look at it unfairly for one reason, somebody on the other side of the stick may think just the same about you.

I don't know anybody that can do everything. For srs.

So, stop whining. This would be epic. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.