• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Im back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Old mapper, been here when the new site was in "open beta". Had to make a new account because I forgot what username or email I used for my old one.

I know it's a long way off, but I made this in prep for Reforged. I'm just hyped to get back into modding again, hopefully the limitations that slowly burned me off will be fixed with the new release. I've even had a couple ideas written down long after I stopped modding. Whenever I got a good idea for a game, I somehow always imagine myself making it in the World Editor, so the ideas just accumulated over time.

Anyway, that's all. I doubt I'll be active, but at least I got this prepped.

Level 11
One of the greatest upside of Reforged is that it is bringing more people back into Warcraft 3.
Welcome back!

Level 2
Thanks for the welcome. :)

Yes, I really hope it will bring back as many players as possible. It's a bit high of an expectation, but it would be nice to have as active of a community as 6+ years ago.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

It's a bit high of an expectation, but it would be nice to have as active of a community as 6+ years ago.
I think plenty modders will try Reforged.

Given these liberating enhancements:
A new expanded and improved version of the World Editor we know and love i.e. the same editor but with upgrades.
Map makers will get more options and tools for creating custom maps (including the tool that was used to create the models for Reforged)
Hundreds of new triggers, LUA support, new tools for importing models, and a slew of other enhancements are in the works.
The UI is decoupled to allow the map makers to customize the UI in a way that they could not in the past
In-game benefits include rejoining in the event of disconnects.

..The Classic Games Team is paving the way for a thriving custom games scene. Lua bestows a myriad of new scripting languages onto coders, so we no longer have to fiddle with opninionated garbage. The modelling tooling will sure help a lot, and don't get me started with the UI mutability: in something like Ice Escape the whole bottom portion of the UI can be removed, allowing for 25% or so more view space.

Also:
6+ years ago
iswydt

Level 2
Still, I can't help but wonder how old custom maps would handle the reconnection feature and the other new features. IIRC, there was a trigger that detects disconnections but not for recons. Doodads that use old models too, would it automatically be replaced or will it keep the old model? I'm curious as to how Blizzard will handle those problems.

What? What did I do?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Modders won't have to implement reconnection. The client can just replay all orders issued all the way to the event of DC since WC3 is deterministic. Even random outcomes are based off a fixed seed.

All assets would be replaced by their reforged counterparts. How well this plays out is questionable, e.g. a custom spell that utilizes stand animation timings will be out of sync.

What? What did I do?
Sorry, thought you were bitterly referring to drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.