• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

AI Tournament :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hello everybody

The idea of doing an AI Tournament recently appeared on inwarcraft.de. Unluckyly the organisation of the tournament failed quite hard, so I successfully did an own AI Tournament with some buddys, I will attach the results.

Doing AI tournaments would be quite a nice thing for THW as well I guess. Those rules for creating the AIs were pretty helpful on our own tournament (translated):

1 - Units of a single unit type, including morphed units/ the whole air of an army may not use up more than 40% of the completed army's used food. Heroe's food caps do not count as army's food.

2 - A single unit type may not be built more than 10 times or use up more than 28 food.

3 - Units in the queue have to be built.
Means: If you plan to do 8 Grunts and 7 Wyvern, you have to actually build them. Having Wyvern but no Grunts all game long violates the rules since the food costs are supposed to be calculated for the whole army.

4 - Basecamping is not allowed. AIs have to move around, either creeping or attacking. Do not stay in base to attack once you got the highest tech level.

5 - Excessive towering is not allowed. You may not put more than two towers into one town/expansion

6 - Rushing is allowed but follows those rules:
The rushing units you wish to attack with may not use up more than 18 food (z.B. 9 Ghuls/Footies/Archer, 6 Grunts), Heroes food cap not being counted. The AI must have done some creeping before attacking.
Doing some small attacks on start with less than 3 or 4 units can be done before you go creeping.

Basics:
-The AIs are being done for meele maps
- *.wai datas only
-The AIs need useful names like "Piras AI", names like "1234" are not accepted

Attachments

• KI Turnier.rar
    3.8 MB · Views: 59
Level 7
I like the idea, but the rules are a bit overkill...

I propose the following rules:
  1. All AI entries must attack, and must do so within a reasonable amount of time.
  2. No entry may be identifiable as a "masser". So, no Peon swarms, armies of Wyrms, or walking forests of Ancients, please.
  3. Entries must actually build units. Three Acolytes and a Ghoul do not constitute a proper attack force.
  4. Entries musn't require a map with custom units, settings, or otherwise to work.
  5. Remember that the goal of each entry is to kill the opponent. Gathering 10,000 lumber is not considered to be a victory.
  6. Entries are to be in .wai form. (That means no triggered AI)

I see no problem with rushing, to be honest. It's a perfectly viable strategy, though somewhat frowned upon.

Wait, is this like a contest in which every contestant creates an AI and then there's a little tournament between then? (captain obvious)
That's really awesome!

but...
imo everything should be allowed and may be the best win.
Like... there's no reason in limiting things like that. If you don't want to be rushed, program your AI to defend itself against rushes and strike back later.

Well, I think you should be able to do more than like the AI editor. Like an anything goes for the AI editor, JASS, and vJASS (maybe) as long as its still a battle of the AI.
That could make possible cheating. Like this:
- Add resources to the AI
- Force the completion of a structure, or an unit
- Move some unit instantly to a creep camp, or enemy base
- Heal units randomly
- Order creep units to attack opponent / Order opponents to attack creeps at an unappropriate time with unappropriate troops
- Order opponent to do random stuff, like wasting mana or gold/lumber with useless things
It's easy to cheat and keep it unnoticed.

The AI Editor is a powerful tool. Ever played around with it?

Level 7
Well yes they could cheat easily, but not If the script is looked over before it is placed in the map where the AI are going to battle. And yes, the AI editor is very powerful, I was just trying to add more variety to the tournament.

Level 7
Hmm, I'd join but these rules are a real pain :S , as I like my AIs free to do more random stuff not some preset actions

but...
imo everything should be allowed and may be the best win.
Like... there's no reason in limiting things like that. If you don't want to be rushed, program your AI to defend itself against rushes and strike back later

I would like there to be no rules except that any JASS scripts must be reviewed before entering the match.

Level 10
Good idea, tried to do this with three of my friends, however their ai's failed completely, as they never achieved to build Forexample that footman, or that wyrm and therefore never moved on, however, great idea!

If JASS scripts were used then you could tell your ai what you want them to do exactly in certain situations, like when attacked by air, pull out melee troops and attack only with ranged, for example.
but it might give leaks and bugs...
if yes only order functions should be used, else than those, just the Get ones, to get info and give orders. Still, someone will have a brilliant idea of how to mock some little cheat, like ordering the creeps to focus enemy units with less HP, or ordering the enemy units to do some nonsense things...

Level 1
AI tournament or not, either way, if someone is up for swapping AI scripts, email me at [email protected]. I built a decent Undead one, though my killer one is the Night Elves. I would be very interested in trying it on someone elses...

I've went ahead and attached my Night Elves AI. :)

Attachments

• Night Elf Henry Ma.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 40
Status
Not open for further replies.