• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map & AI contest in one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I was thinking (a rare thing indeed), why not have a Hero Arena or AoS map contest that has to have 30 or so heroes. Once this contest has been run, the map is distributed and people choose a hero and make an AI for it. The AIs then battle it out in some sort of round robin tournament or something.
I assume people could post in a forum to choose their hero, so that no-one will have the same hero as someone else.
I also had the idea that the map contest could have about 30 days and the AI 60 so that the map could be released around christmas and have a christmas theme. I'm not sure if this would be enough time.
The overall effect of this is a fantastic map with fantastic AI, which those who are not able to play on the internet could really appreciate.
Thankyou for your time.

Level 4
If you wanted even a halfway decent AOS, you'd need more like 80 days for the map, and 10 for the AI. AI is a lot simpler to make than a full sized map, so the numbers there should be reversed.

Anyways, with only 30 days to make a full sized AOS map, it would straight up suck. And no one would need 60 days to program a good AI for a 30 day map. A good AI could be programmed in a couple of weeks, unless you want it to have so much detail that the only people who could make it, wouldn't want to join the competition.

Level 8
I'm sorry about the times that I posted. I have a massive inability to estimate time. If 80 days for a map and 10 days for an AI would be better then that is easy enough to fix. I set the time on what I thought I coul feasibly do it in, but I don't think I factored in the creation of units or balancing.
NovaBlade, thankyou for your input.

Level 4
Not to be off topic, but Dota sucks. Eota and ToB are awsome.

Anyways, its a good idea for a contest, but I think its just to... hard. If we made it we would probably have to allow people to use content they made before the contest, because 90 days is just not enough time to make a good AOS. Its enough time to make an AOS, and would be enough time to make an awsome one if you were working full time on it, but the average person will probably barely be able to put in an hour of work a day. In total, the average person would probably be able to put in a total of 45 hours (1/2 hour a day) of work over 90 days, and thats just not enough time for an AOS. AOS maps are probably the hardest to make.

Level 8
Ok, so AoS is a bad idea. I also suggested Hero Arena, but that is probably a bad idea as well. What would be a suitable map type. If you can tell me, i will edit it into the first post so that everyone who enters the forum will see it.

*OFF TOPIC* NovaBlade, I assume you are quoting Warhammer 40k in your signature, but i think the quote is "An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded." Please don't take this as an insult as this is not my intention.

Level 4
I think I looked it up and it had the ; in it. If not, then thats okay, im not insulted.

anyways, i would say no to an aos, no to a hero arena, no to a mini games, footmen wars perhaps?

Level 8
I heard of Footman Wars, but I have no idea what it is. I've looked for it and found nothing. Does anyone have a link to one so that I can download it and give it a try?
By the way, I don't think a TD would be a good idea either as Elemental TD and Skibi's TD (which actually comes with WC3) are already awesome. Capture the Flag is a valid idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.