• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Age of Empires II - HD Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Another RTS I've been playing since my young days (and probably the only one I play the actual RTS elements of, given that I almost exclusively play custom maps on WC3).

Who else has played this ancient gem of a game?

Level 9
I very rarely play. And when I play, I enter the lobby that contains the name "Noob" (Online Multiplayer)

Some things I like in Age 2: Graphics (which for me I think will never be obsolete, sprites), little realism (most cases and units, archers do little damage to buildings) (Lancers have attack bonuses against Cavalry) (Siege Units such as Catapult, Ariete and Trebuchet have damage bonus against buildings), some bonuses of civilizations, Monks, Chat Taunts (30 and 11), soundtracks, Teutonic Knight, Bombard Tower, Knight...

But some things that disappointed me. It is they who have not made more models of ethnicity adapted to civilizations. For example some African civilizations have black villagers, Celtic villagers with red hair, Germanic and Nordic villagers with blond hair.
Only unique units have black ethnicity.

Last edited:
Level 4
I loved the new campaigns and have bought HD (/w Forgotten Kingdoms) plus African Kingdoms. Unfortunately, it is very hard to bring new players to the RTS genre. Got to play some matches with some friends against the computer but it always was an complete dominance for the AI (we only won because I putted Wonders).

Rise of Nations is a RTS a lot more acessible that my friends (and others) might prefer, but I found it to be much less enjoyable because of its macro-focused nature.

While I really liked Age of empires 2 back in the day, games like Starcraft still felt superior to me, because of lack of attack-move command in age of empires games, which was a huge handicap. Also the units merging in unnatural way was a bit deterring. However that changed later, nowadays I'd pick aoe2 over sc1 all the time, sc1 being stuck in prehistoric resolution, while aoe2 not only got high widescreen resolution, but also some rudimentary attack move command.

While I really liked Age of empires 2 back in the day, games like Starcraft still felt superior to me, because of lack of attack-move command in age of empires games, which was a huge handicap. Also the units merging in unnatural way was a bit deterring. However that changed later, nowadays I'd pick aoe2 over sc1 all the time, sc1 being stuck in prehistoric resolution, while aoe2 not only got high widescreen resolution, but also some rudimentary attack move command.

... and Elephant Archers :D

Status
Not open for further replies.