• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Add more Filters for Icon Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hello!

I enjoy the new hiveworkshop in a lot of ways, its definitely appealing to the eye, but searching for icons can be a bit difficult. Could more filters be added to allow for more specific searches. Example filters: armor, weapon, consumable, etc. Reorganizing all the icons to fit into new filters would probably be a difficult task, so I understand if this would be low priority right now. Anyways, thanks for excellent site! Happy New Year!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Icons are usually 64*64 pixels. When displaying the mipmaps can be discarded saving 1/4 of the file size. The thumbnails could also be heavily compressed at like 75%-60% quality.

The question then is how much data would the average icon thumbnail take? Say they are 2kb each, then that is ~500 icons per megabyte of data transferred.

Would some kind of streaming icon sheet (like google images) be viable?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The problem with icons is they are small and numerous. Unless they are being tailor made for you, you are going to search through hundreds of them to find one most suitable for your purposes. This would be best done with some sort of massive wall of icons, similar to what Google Images does when searching pictures.

To put it in perspective, on a 1080p display with icons being 2 times up-scaled (otherwise they might be too small) you view ~120 icons at any given time. Without upscaling that would be closer to 500, which is probably enough to blow any bodies mind!

Same could also be said for models and skins however these are usually more complex so are fewer and are more specific so text search capabilities are more useful at limiting results.

Level 10
I hadn't thought about a wall of icons, but that actually sounds perfect too me. There really is no need to see names or any text. Being able to scan through large amounts of icons at a time in broad categories would be perfect, I would be able to quickly pick out the icons that suit my needs.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
yea, lets remove author names and merge all icons of random qualities together into giant walls so you wouldn't lose 3 minutes using search system
The author names do not need to be removed. Just they are not visible in tiled view search. When you click the icon you are taken to its submission page which then lists the author as currently.

Level 22
Oh you need that? That's not a filter, that's just a gigantic list. So you need it for the search page or repository contents (thread list)?
That would be great. Something like how media is displayed but smaller and more compact perhaps.

media-jpg.257306

Attachments

• Media.JPG
    Media.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 199
Status
Not open for further replies.