• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A WIP Recreation of The GUI Trigger Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I always use GUI. I mean ALWAYS, and nobody likes it. That's why I decided that the best thing I can do would be this: Remove as many BJs as I can from GUI, add functions that were once exclusive to Jass (for example; remove location) and get it pristine and shining. So, I have endeavored to recreate it to the best of my ability, and I believe that I have so far exceed my expectations of what will turn out! You can ask me anything, give suggestions, criticism and when I release the demo you can tell me what problems you have with it (+rep to those who find any)!

Level 26
Why don't you just hack to Blizzard.j file instead of editing TriggerData and TriggerString? Unless I mistaken.

Because TriggerData is what is being displayed? Being in the Blizzard.j is not enough.

The lack of natives in GUI and the overdose of BJs is not the only reason to avoid it. Text is fast and easily copy&paste-able, in GUI you open 20 nested windows and have to redo everything if you need to change the value of the first, upper window. GUI does not support all of the language's structures, for example local variables, even when modifying TriggerData, there is no option for that. You cannot write custom functions, respectively would have to live plugin into the TriggerData and therefore reload the editor everytime.

I do not claim simple jass is the solution either but we have some alternatives in this day and age that present a lot of comfort in scripting.

Level 6
hmm.. custom functions support added to GUI would really make it a lot more usable. (atm if you want to do function-ish things in gui u end up with an excess trigger and a ton of value passing variables..

Status
Not open for further replies.