• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A Visual Treat ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Well, I've been a busy bee today. Reinstalled my copy of 3D Studio Max, been tinkering around with the beta's .mpq file (which pretty much contains everything released at the beta stage, sounds, textures, effects... and models!)... So, just been looking at what can be done.

It will be a while yet before there is a tool which can convert .3ds files back into their .m3 formats (for use in the game), so it is hard to know what our limits as modders are at this early stage. Whether or not Starcraft 2 will allow us to use Bones for animations or what conventions etc we will have to adhere to.

But, there has been a bit of talk about Terrans looking a bit too 'junky' and people generally agree that the Protoss look shit hot and 'futuristic'...

MarineMarauder.jpg

You can see here, that the Marine & Marauder models when all textures and lightning have been removed are pretty basic. I forgot to check out the total poly counts for each model but they are well into their 1000's... Starcraft 2 uses a lot of dynamic lighting and texture mapping to make the models look good.

SiegeTankBanshee.jpg

You can see here as well, the Siege Tank is pretty much a block. But the in game footage reveals a lot of nifty details and definition. On one hand, this is a very cool thing for us modellers, it means we don't need to craft tiny details (and make the poly count massive) on our models... But, as with every good thing... The downside is that texturer's and people with knowledge about rendering will have to up their game to compensate for this.

On a side note, the Banshee is one of my favourite models in SC-2 so far :).

ZealotProbe.jpg

Now, a lot of people have been saying that the Protoss are by far the most visually pleasing and aesthetic (nice to look at) of the three races. I for one, agree.

You can immediately pick out the difference between Terran & Protoss models. There is a lot less 'smoothing' going on, and therefore, the actual structure of the model is given more focus; the curving lines and flow of the contours.

StalkerImmortal.jpg

You can see again, the Stalker has nice smooth curves and lines. But for me, the Immortal is the one model which does not look like it should belong in a Protoss Arsenal... It is so blocky and looks a bit too 'Terran' to me... The only feature remotely Protoss about it, is the fact that it has spider-like legs and is a strider. The entire upper half just looks like a gun-turret (to me at least).

Collosus.jpg

And now, the best for last I guess :) - I absolutely love this model. Everything about it screams cool-ness. Yeah sure, conceptually it has been done before... Warhammer Tau? I beleive they have something similar... War of the Worlds? Identical to the 'robot' things in that film... But hell, it looks good don't it? :)

Level 5
Bump...

Sneak preview of my Photon-Colossus (Mounted Photon Cannon maybe?)

collosus_photon.jpg

I'm busy adding the animations, basically, it can burrow :). The Photon Cannon base raises up, and all that is visible is the 'knee-caps' of the Colossus legs. When attacking the "Photon Ball" (thing) fly's upwards and shoots - because otherwise, you'de have issues with the unit shooting through its own legs.

What do you think? It's pretty basic I agree, but then again, I havn't used 3ds max in a long time :) - had to re-read some newb tutes to remind myself of some hotkeys!

Level 2
Very nice :). But I dont get your burrowing; I'm guessing it will just burrow, and have the cannon and knees sticking out? Am I on the right track? XD But I really like it, hope it works out!

Level 15
nice analysis.

also, nice model. as I understand, it is similar to spine crawler or spore colony with it's burrowing?

Level 5
Correct on all counts. It burrows just like you would expect it to, the four legs go wild and scratch the ground and it steadily sinks until only the Photon Cannon and the upper parts of the Legs (Knee-Caps) are showing.

@TheTerran: Yeah, I like the spider-legs-look of Protoss Striders! It's just accentuated with a small body (as opposed to the truly colossus body it had before ;)).

@ElegantPro: The correct track indeed. :)

@Trillium: Exactamundo. One important difference though. This can climb up cliffs first ;).

Level 5
Yeah, the Armoured one actually came about by mistake. It has the Colossus texture hehe... it looks cool in some places, ie. the top part of the Wrist-Guards. I'll work on it some more tomorrow...

extracting the .mpq file gives you so much stuff! It's unbelievable, all sounds, textures, uv maps, doodads, models, everything :).

Level 5
@Illidans911 - 3D Studio Max only costs about $3,000 (£2,500). And yes, you can make and edit them quite easily. There are a variety of free 3D editing software's available online, try google. Their names, I do not know, since I use 3DS Max. As for using them. Not yet, there is no tool which can convert the files I create, back into files which Starcraft 2 will recognise. Yet. I say.

@Showrstudios - I dont understand how seeing an edged face view will help you 'understand how they got it to be that way'. Nevertheless, I indulged your request:

colossus_top.jpg

colossus_perspective.jpg

colossus_left.jpg

colossus_front.jpg

And just some more of what I've been doing:

Been working on creating armour pieces. Right now I've taken some Protoss Armor and seperated it from the model it was intended for. So, from top to bottom we have:
Archon + Zealot Legs
High Templar
Zealot

Protoss_Armour.jpg

protos_Armour_Holy.jpg

Protos_Armour_Light.jpg

Should come in handy for RPG's etc. Seeing as a model can have an infinite number of attachment points ;)

Last edited:
Level 5
Yep, it has all been ripped from game and then edited. All the separate armour pieces have been separated and the open polygon's closed. I'm busy working on an un-armoured Zealot/Archon model now, with animations to support the different armour types.

Status
Not open for further replies.