• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

a tank

What do you think?

• Looks great, proceed to animate it

Votes: 32 91.4%
  • Meh, the textures aren't right, probably custom ones would be the best idea

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Nah, it's not good. Remake it using different approach or just make other models

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I made this already some time ago, but I am not happy with it. It is supposed to be a Leman Russ and I used ingame texture cuz I cannot texture for shit. However this does not seem to be a good idea. What do you think, should I continue, or I'd be better modelling other things?

P.S. You don't want to see the back.

Attachments

• lemanruss.jpg
    lemanruss.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 443
Level 3
Lots of love from me to your Leman Russ :D

Must say, you managed to do a really good job with just in-game textures.

I kind of liked the old green Leman Russ you pmed me better. Because IG vehicles tend to look, well, monotonous. But I think what you have on it right now is most likely as simple as Leman Russes get.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicles_of_the_Imperial_Guard_(Warhammer_40,000)#Leman_Russ

But hey, if you rough this version up more or get someone to re-texture it, you can call it a Looted Tank. In which case you don't have to worry about simplifying it because Orks...orkify things.

http://www.jotte.com.pl/grafika/figurki/28mm/pojazdy_looted_tank_2.jpg

With great help by Illidan(Evil)X and after a lot of hours to figure it out, I finally managed to make animated textures in max (damn is even harder than in mdl). The other animations are supposed to finished too, a guy who tested said it was ok.

Here it is, I give permission to modify it to other Leman Russ variants (Demolisher, Vanquisher, Atlas, ...) as long you give credits to original author.

Attachments

• lemanruss.MDX
    62.1 KB · Views: 66
Level 3
Ah! I've been waiting to see these stuffs come around for a long long time. :thumbs_up: Nice leman and basilisk, you inspire me. The filesize is good. I'm going to DL and try out :). But are you going to add the 2 little guys on the earthshaker platform? Or would that be too many polies? I'm guessing it's the latter, but if that's the case, I'm not sure, you might want to add a bunker or something to cover it up? Might be sort of obscuring for the guys though.

EDIT: I like the death animation, very realistic. Needs a portrait though. Be nice if you adjust the attack one animation so that the cannon and the tank recoil at the same time (did you intended it like that?) and more violently (faster)

Last edited:
Ah! I've been waiting to see these stuffs come around for a long long time. :thumbs_up: Nice leman and basilisk, you inspire me. The filesize is good. I'm going to DL and try out :). But are you going to add the 2 little guys on the earthshaker platform? Or would that be too many polies? I'm guessing it's the latter, but if that's the case, I'm not sure, you might want to add a bunker or something to cover it up? Might be sort of obscuring for the guys though.

EDIT: I like the death animation, very realistic. Needs a portrait though. Be nice if you adjust the attack one animation so that the cannon and the tank recoil at the same time (did you intended it like that?) and more violently (faster)

There would be a little possibility making the crew if the guardsmen would be already avalaible as the soldiers. Unlike vehicles, there are no possibility to be made by ingame textures, which cannot be made by me due to my poor skinning skills and I find skinning very tiring.

Thanks on the feedback for death animation, usually I have quite a trouble to make good death animations. And yes, first time I made the recoil simultaneous, but then I decided for the released version. However, I will probably work on it further, currently I scaled it along Z axis as it does not look tall enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.