• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A sneak peek at what's coming with Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty (and probably its following expansions) will feature an «unique single player campaign», quoting the introduction at the official website.But what has been around for a while that, probably, not everyone has noticed -- not even those playing the Beta --, is a look at this campaign. Also, if you have not played the Beta and are scared to get to Battle.Net without knowing what to do, know that Blizzard has thought of you as well.The campaign that is coming with Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty is not totally linear, and there are a lot of customization options. Blizzard has decided that you will spend cash that you earn during campaign missions on permanent upgrades for your army that carry on to future quests.In-between missions, you will have the option to take a look at this Zerg and Protoss «research laboratory». When you reach a certain amount of points -- which are achieved through the completion of optional quests or the finding of relics during missions --, you will have the option to choose between a few upgrades.For example, after achieving enough points in the Protoss research tree, you have the option to either boost your Marines' Gauss Rifles with 5% extra damage or, instead, increase the Marines' resistance to attacks. Later upgrades grant the ability to build Supply Depots (food production structure, necessary to train additional units) instantly or for Refineries (buildings necessary for harvesting Vespene Gas) to operate without SCVs (worker unit), a rewarding incentive to fully explore every mission you play.

Zerg researchProtoss research

5 points
Choice between attaching Turrets to Bunkers or increasing Bunker healthChoose to either grant extra damage and attack rate for your Marines or increase their health and armor

10 points
Attach a turret to your command center or acquire the ability to build Flame TurretsChoice between instant Supply Depot building or quicker Refineries

15 points
Obtain a new Predator offensive unit, or Hercules, a new transport unitHave Refineries work automatically without the need of SCVs or choose to be able to train two SCVs at once

20 points
Acquire a self-healing passive skill for ships or choose to have units with higher starting energyGrant the Raven an attack or choose to be able to build a Science Vessel

25 points
Choose between a structure to permanently mind control a Zerg unit or a building to slow the ZergHave both Reactors and Tech Labs be able to be attached on a single Barracks, or Orbital Drop Pods that deploy units directly into the battlefield

Now, even after you've fully explored the campaign -- which has been said to take over twenty hours --, there are still these Challenge Levels you can try to learn techniques indispensable for online play. Among other things, they teach you how to defend yourself against the famous Zerg rush and how to micro your Protoss units. Even if you've played the Beta and are already familiar with SC2's mechanics, these Challenges can be fun (you may also acquire achievements through them).

Here are some of the coolest screenshots:
starcraft-ii-wings-of-liberty-20100422021900026.jpg

starcraft-ii-wings-of-liberty-20100422021933072.jpg

starcraft-ii-wings-of-liberty-20100422021958508.jpg

starcraft-ii-wings-of-liberty-20100422021928213.jpg

starcraft-ii-wings-of-liberty-20100422021841027.jpg

starcraft-ii-wings-of-liberty-20100422021847355_640w.jpg

starcraft-ii-terrans-wings-of-liberty-20091119035215385_640w.jpg

starcraft-ii-terrans-wings-of-liberty-20090816061447316.jpg

starcraft-ii-terrans-wings-of-liberty-20090129030709884.jpg

starcraft-ii-terrans-wings-of-liberty-20090129030714400.jpg

starcraft-ii-terrans-wings-of-liberty-20090129030729696.jpg

And these are just a few of the nearly four hundred! Check out more of them here!

This sounds awesome! Though, yeah, I too knew most of this, I didn't know what all the options were. The 25 point ones sound awesome. O.O

Then what's that thing in first picture, zerg research on 15 points of resarch on a left?

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Cybercat

Cybercat just sounds really stupid.

Wow thanks Rui, so they are already working on the protoss campaign? (screen 4). Or is that one of these challenges?

I think Blizzard said there's a mini campaign based around Zeratul within Wings of Liberty.

Level 27
This sounds awesome! Though, yeah, I too knew most of this, I didn't know what all the options were. The 25 point ones sound awesome. O.O

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Cybercat

Cybercat just sounds really stupid.

I think Blizzard said there's a mini campaign based around Zeratul within Wings of Liberty.

Cybercat? Man why no robo-dog? I mean dogs are so much better than cats, esspecially if they are made from nano-steel and have heavy metalic claws and fangs.

Minicampaing? why does it smell like training campaing? I mean just look, Zeratul has to go to some three beacons, doesn't it remind you of WC: Reigin of Choas?

Status
Not open for further replies.