• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Request: Starcraft 2 research technologies WOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
In Terrain campaign, there are research techs at every 5 points zerg or protoss that becomes available. When you choose one the other one becomes unavailable. Is there a way to make both of them researched? Maybe using cheat engine or something...

Level 2
See the problem is i don`t know where to start, what programs to use nor how to write the code to do just that. If you or someone else know how to do that i would highly appreciate. I think i`m not the only one who seeks something like this.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You should not need both to win the missions and it is fully intended you only access 1 at a time. If you want to use both then try the all research cheat code. If that does not work it really is not worth the effort.

In arcade maps you can use both simply by using the campaign mods and then applying both upgrades.

Blizzard also agreed that it was a dumb idea to force you to make a long lasting choice. This is why in HotS (and probably also for LotV) you can undo your made choices so you can try out both.

Level 2
Are you trying to say there is a code than makes all research techs checked in the same time? Or do you mean the codes that makes all of them available but still only 1/2 can be chosen. If not please come with an solution to my little problem, i know that it`s sucks having all of them researched in the same time, but i want to have fun playing the campaigns. :D

Level 2
I know what a "cheat" is and i`ve tested that cheat before. It makes all of them researchable but you have to choose between them. It does not do what i want. I know this whole think looks kinda selfish or stupid. Having everything researched, but not from the beginning, only when they become available in the game naturally and all that. But think usually players are not satisfied with their combo choises and then they load the game and start same missions with different tactics and researches which might or might not suit their style and again they start over. So when you have all of the techs researched and see the full potential of the race and witch combo is the best in your opinion and suit your style, when you decide to play the campaign again, this time with perfect choises for your style it`s more satisfing, belive me. People are nostalgic and they do play campaign even after years from it`s launch. I bet a lof of people when they`ll launch protoss campaign people will start with WoL to picture the whole story and some of them even with starcraft 1. And also there are people who wants to see everything the game has to offer, despite the fact that it will make the game easier or not.

Level 24
In that case the only thing you could do is to somehow alter the games programing but that goes against the games terms and conditions. Besides there is no ingame model for a bunker with both upgrades which means they more than likelly will appear as green blocks.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
But think usually players are not satisfied with their combo choises and then they load the game and start same missions with different tactics and researches which might or might not suit their style and again they start over. So when you have all of the techs researched and see the full potential of the race and witch combo is the best in your opinion and suit your style, when you decide to play the campaign again, this time with perfect choises for your style it`s more satisfing, belive me
The campaign was not designed for that. Although you could edit the individual campaign missions (File->Open and choose the mission) and add what you want, the result may not be anything like you wish.

Firstly the missions will bug out at times due to Blizzard only calls for achievements and unlocks etc. Secondly not all upgrades may be compatible with each other as they were never designed with that in mind (although most should be). An example of incompatible tech would be the Planetary Fortress against Orbital Command. I believe the OC in campaign mode is an automatic update to all Command Centres where as the Planetary Fortress is much like the one from Melee which needs to physically upgrade so I am not sure if they will co-exist well. Examples of ones which would be compatible is Science Vessel and Raven, as both are separate units so as long as they have physically different command card positions they will be able to both be constructed.

The technologies are loaded by testing fields in the campaign bank files. Each mission has its own copy of the bank. With all the progress made to that point (to stop you replaying with better tech). That said depending on how robust the load code is you could possibly load all technologies with a modified bank (only if they use flags that are checked and not choices made).

Blizzard is well aware that this was a pretty silly way to make the campaign. As such in Heart of the Swarm they discarded all the permanent choices and progression saves. Instead when you replay missions on HotS you not only have access to your current Kerrigan level (usually max by the time you finish) but also all your evolutions and other such things. You are also free to change everything at any time, be that evolutions or Kerrigan abilities. In fact they encourage you to finish the campaign at a low difficulty and replay it on hardest mode once you have unlocked everything so that you have all options available to choose from and use. That said at least the first 3 missions can be completed on max on the first play through and I am sure most others as well.

I am guessing Legacy of the Void will be engineered in a similar way. Unfortunately they have not applied any of these design motto changes retrospectively to Wings of Liberty.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
To put in other words you can`t choose both options in the same otherwise bugs would appear?
You cannot choose both because Blizzard designed it so. You could enable both by modifying the mission maps and playing the modified version but this will be done completely outside and unrelated to the campaign. There may be compatibility clashes with both choices being present but you can always resolve those like any bug in your modified version of the campaign.

You will need to stop all campaign linking triggers from the mission map. This is to prevent all kinds of strange bugs when it tries to award achievements and change map which is not supported by arcade maps.

Many of the upgrades were actually alpha melee upgrades so are compatible with each other. The campaign was mostly designed such that without using the actual campaign triggers (that make it work) you can use them as standard researchable upgrades with minimal changes. A lot of arcade maps demonstrate this.

Status
Not open for further replies.