• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A nice format?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
Was not sure if anybody here is even involved in stuff like this but i guess i would just give it a shot.

I am creating my own fantasy world in the trend of Lord of the Rings, The Wheel of Time and Game of Thrones. So in that sense i that in the future i will try and write a epic/high-fantasy book about it. I won't do it in english though I am designing everything right now in my native language, dutch. But do consider what everything will sound and feel like in english so i kind of base everything on that so that i could be easily translated without sounding awkward.

Without giving out too much information i would like to know if anyone knows of a format i could do this in. I've been working in word for a while and later had this idea of making my own html wiki-thing but that doesnt really work out too well. My brother suggested making a real wiki-page locally on my pc with a virtual machine. As of now the world has four continents each which multiple countries, climates, histories, religions, folklore and so on. Most of the stuff i havent even come up with yet but i already have a pretty complicated magic system and history of how the world was created and so on. So does anyone know something that might help? Thanks.

Level 14
I wrote mine in a notebook and than copied it in Word, but that was a long time ago and over the course of many years. Than again I really never entered in high detail about it.

However, from my experience, I didn't use it, but I think a wiki is the best format. Just look at wowwiki.com or wowpedia.org, it's pretty efficient.

Level 36
If your mind isn't enough to store the necessary information about your fantasy world,
then you're likely not even close to being dedicated enough.
- Unless your actual purpose of making a wiki has to do with showing it to others.

And yes, wiki would be the way to go.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
LaTeX! All crazy Linux people use that!

It all depends how you want to produce your world. If it is made through reading stories then Microsoft Word is more than enough to produce publish quality books. If you want it to be more a sort of encyclopaedia like world made of little facts telling a history then you might want some kind of wiki where each page covers a complete idea.

Level 27
Mh that Latex thing doesnt sound like what i would like to use, then again i am not a crazy linux person =p

I am memororize a lot of things about my world but as it grows bigger it will probably become impossible to know all the details out the top of my head. I would just like to write everything down for good order and as a reference, i've decided to just go back to word documents again now that i have everything a bit more thought out. Then i might later decide to just copy and paste it into the wiki.

Status
Not open for further replies.