• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

(4)Thundering Peaks (Custom Heroes)

Reactions: deepstrasz
(4)Thundering Peaks
by Scias

Map Description:

Nobody is certain if the thundering sounds of this mountain come from the never ending fierce wars between the factions taking place here, or from creatures even more fierce than the war itself, that dwell in these high peaks.

Map Info:
This is a custom 116x116 size 4 players map, recommended for 2v2 or FFA gameplay. Each player starts on a high ground area located on each side of the map, with two paths leading out of the base. One of the paths leads towards a green creep camp and further easy progression rewarded by items, while the other path leads to a early expansion which is really close to the main base. There's 4 Merchant Shops located near each players base, defended by orange creep camps. Middle of the map is a large high ground area which contains 2 goldmines that aren't defended by any creeps, however are very exposed, and 4 orange creep camps in each corner - these creep camps are quite rewarding. Goblin Laboratories are located clockwise near the players starting positions. At each corner of the map there is a small mountain peak or island with a goldmine which is protected by red creep camp. There are two Taverns one on west other on east side of the map, located at mid point between the players starting positions.

Map Features:
  • There are total of 10 custom heroes, two new heroes per each race including neutral, created to fit the original Warcraft 3 content to best of my ability. (more info below)
  • Total 14 Gold Mines with 12500 gold each.
  • Easy early expanding being an option from each starting position.
  • Gold mines in middle heavily exposed but not defended by creeps.
  • Hard to reach gold mines in corners of the map with rewarding item drops from red creeps that guard them.
  • Not overly difficult creeping routes allowing for quick progression.

Map Overview:
full

Screenshots:

Custom Heroes:

full

full

full

full

full

From Creator of the Map:
This is the second map I made, using the same heroes from my previous map since I wanted to play around with them in a smaller map, and with less players.. To give it a bit of a variety. Hoping there's less issues off the start this time, considering mostly all I had to do to implement these heroes was copy paste work.

Known Bugs (no idea how to fix)
- Corpse Digging doesn't seem to work as intended, should consistently create corpses over time. Suggestion: Don't level it up until you need a corpse.
- Corpse Digging icon doesn't show when researched so I put a placeholder passive for a icon.
- Animation Mecha Gnome does when he consumes a tree while Bouncy Rockets is active
- Somethings wrong with King Shredders selection size.
- King Shredders flight animation continues if the duration of Flight Boots ran out while he was on a terrain which he couldn't land onto.

* Credits *
Thanks to:
Models:
Blizzard Entertainment, Em!, SuPa-, Korija2029, Champara Bros, General Frank, CeDiL, EvilCryptLord, CreatorD3292, Boogles, MiniMage, Ergius, EnetheruAnuon, A.R., RavenBlackbird, Misha, Hayate, kellym0, -Grendel, RodOfNOD, UgoUgo, s4nji, dickxunder, Titania, loktar, AndrewOverload519, Callahan, Dmitry Rommel, manasou, DragoonZombie

Icons:
Blizzard Entertainment, bigapple90, morbent, Traxamillion, Deathclaw24, 67chrome, AL0NE, Darkfang, The Panda, Xezko, JollyD, Blood Raven, 4eNNightmare, exN, LoDown, Sin'dorei300, Huinipachutli, viiva, Elenai, NFWar, zbc, Juice_F, loktar, CRAZYRUSSIAN, PeeKay, -Berz-, BLazeKraze
Contents

(4)Thundering Peaks (Map)

(4)Thundering Peaks (Custom Heroes) (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
(6)Tortoise Creek (Custom Heroes) As your other (link above), I'll have this Approved. I advise to grouping the altered melee together in one thread but of course it is not mandatory. However, if you decide to upload them separately, you need to find...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
(6)Tortoise Creek (Custom Heroes)
As your other (link above), I'll have this Approved.

I advise to grouping the altered melee together in one thread but of course it is not mandatory. However, if you decide to upload them separately, you need to find a name for your project to put after/before each map name.
Melee maps can be uploaded in a different thread each, no biggie.

Level 22
(6)Tortoise Creek (Custom Heroes)
As your other (link above), I'll have this Approved.

I advise to grouping the altered melee together in one thread but of course it is not mandatory. However, if you decide to upload them separately, you need to find a name for your project to put after/before each map name.
Melee maps can be uploaded in a different thread each, no biggie.

Thanks,
Ah I see what you mean, adding the custom maps to one bundle and posting melee separately. This would make the description files easier to make for me and it would just be much better organized. I'll see if I take this project more seriously and feel like making more maps to improve the way I've been uploading them.. And yeah cooler name for the project would be nice in that case, since just adding "(Custom Heroes)" is not very original.

Level 4
Still working on it :) A few icons show green and a few models aren't showing unless I go in and do some edits or figure out something I am missing, but I will send you them once they are done. It is Twisted Meadows, Echo Isles, and another map I forget the name, a city map.

Level 4
OK I have two maps that seem to work 100% as far as models, buttons, etc, and I can add it to any empty map (meaning, no object data, for me all the standard melee maps) in two seconds (so far no issues, any could arise!). How should I send to you so you can test? I only played a few times as orcs. Archer orc is great!

Level 22
OK I have two maps that seem to work 100% as far as models, buttons, etc, and I can add it to any empty map (meaning, no object data, for me all the standard melee maps) in two seconds (so far no issues, any could arise!). How should I send to you so you can test? I only played a few times as orcs. Archer orc is great!

I can't test the maps atm since I'm traveling, I'll be able to in about a week. You can send me the maps through pastebin, send me a message with the link for the pastebin if you don't wanna share publicly. Thanks, I'm looking forward to playing these maps :)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I clicked on this hoping to see some new Heroes, but that's probably a lot to ask. xD Good to see you making multiple versions with different maps!

However, if you decide to upload them separately, you need to find a name for your project to put after/before each map name.
I mean, it's nice to be able to do so, but it can't be a requirement, right? Coming up with a good "OVERALL PROJECT NAME" can be quite difficult. (I should know, I've been grappling with that one for a while)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I mean like Kam's doing. That way users will automatically know what the map is about.
... Yeah, that's exactly what you said & what I too was talking about.

And while it's definitely nice, it's more of a creative flourish plus it's something that can be difficult to come up with (if one is serious about creating a mod), which was my point (e.g. I've been struggling to come up with a name for a long while now).

Level 22
OK I think like this, I don't mind sharing publicly. One map I made, but I don't need credit for anything ever, and it has like 4 or 5 extra models from the dozens I DLed from these forums, hard to say who made them lol

Thundering Peaks Heroes Maps | HIVE

Looking forward to trying these out, thanks for sharing and for putting the effort to import the heroes onto other maps!
There's another map I made with these heroes btw, incase you missed it: (6)Tortoise Creek (Custom Heroes)

I clicked on this hoping to see some new Heroes, but that's probably a lot to ask. xD Good to see you making multiple versions with different maps!

Ahh this map was uploaded soon after the first one, I just wanted to play some other maps with these new heroes haha. You must've missed it when it was originally posted.

Level 4
Quick Feedback after a quick download and playthrough:

•The map is fun, tight enough to except some early game skirmishes, but with wiggle room to maneuver and maybe slip away to build up for late game (like to one of the four corner goldmines that're only reachable by Zeppelin).

•The Night Elf Heroes are... alright? I guess? Most of their abilities are just old abilities with a new paint job, which works, they look good, they're just not as exciting as the other custom heroes. Druid of the Beak also suffers from some camera issues when selecting him-- he's either far away or way too close to the camera.

•The Human heroes are slightly more unique, solid overall.

•The Undead heroes SLAP. Vampiress' skill set seems to make her an attrition fighter, constantly syphoning HP from living and dead alike. She must be daunting to face down late game. Necromancer, meanwhile, is every Scourge player's wet dream: his skillset is derivative of usual Undead mechanics, but remixed in a way that's just too quality of life to overlook. His Raise Dead is the Necro (Unit's) ability on crack, a heat seeking Disease Cloud is as powerful as it is cool, plus Corpse Digging making bodies and Dark Garden making blight (&troops) makes Necromancer like a one-man portable base.
One bug though-- Corpse Digging disappears from the skill bar once selected.
Also, this is a bias request, turn off the timer on Dark Garden. Let it be a permanent building-- I don't caaaaare about balance, give me the potential for INFINITE spooky skeletons!!! (or don't for balance, I understand)

•Bounty Hunter is my favorite flavor of hero: simple and powerful. Giving him Rokhan's voice lines is also a massive plus.
However, I feel Quick Fire and Haste should last longer than 3 or 5 seconds respectively. A lot of obnoxious abilities (like slow and Polymorph) last a full minute, so I don't see why Bounty Hunter shouldn't get longer durations (like 10-20 seconds) to actually see his skills in action vs having the ability end almost as soon as I clicked it.
As for Sight Seer... I like Sight Seer. And I really want to LOVE Sight Seer: having an Orc champ cover one of it's main weaknesses (map awareness) is hella rad BUT I don't know if Sight Seer's build is strong enough to prioritize him over other classic champs or even Bounter Hunter.
His ult is going to fall of hard later in the game, but Mana Harvest (which has 0 cost to cast) + spamming Blood Rush might be worth it? I dunno.

All in all, banger map, noice heroes, thank you for making it.
Hope to see more (like Dwarven or Tauren heroes)
[Edit: Bounty Hunter & Necromancer also suffer from a zoomed out camera. Necromancer looks alright since he fills the screen, but lanky-beanpole Bounty Hunter looks very unappealing like this]

Last edited: