• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Twilight Peak

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Twilight Peak
Created by Finger of Death

Map Info:

This melee map is built for 2v2 or 3v3, it serves up to 6 players. The unique terrain arrangement supports many variations of strategy play, engagement zone lean toward middle of the map, certain creep camp expedition require teammates assistance. Players can utilize many different types of neutral buildings, including: Marketplaces, Naval Shipyards, Dragon Nests.

"Advance deep into the wild forests or gather navy and set foot on distant islands, bounty and reward awaits, bend this land and water to your will. Or do you dare go beyond the gates to demon squadron."

Features:

- Fountain of Health 1
- Fountain of Mana 1
- Goblin Laboratory 2
- Goblin Merchant 2
- Goblin Shipyard 4
- Gold Mine (main 17500/exp 30000/22500/rear exp 15000)
- Green Dragon Roost 2
- Marketplace 2
- Mercenary Camp (Ashenvale) 2
- Tavern 2
- Way Gate 2

Screenshots:

251666-albums8847-picture108544.png

251666-albums8847-picture108545.png

251666-albums8847-picture108549.png

251666-albums8847-picture108548.png

251666-albums8847-picture108547.png

251666-albums8847-picture108546.png

Author's notes:

This is the more finalized version for this map, please leave comments, suggestions, or bug reports.

- Exp Gold Mine gold increase(12500 to 15000/ 20000 to 22500 / 22500 to 30000)
- Terrian improvements

Keywords:
melee, competitive, 2v2, 3v3
Contents

Twilight Peak (Map)

Reviews
15:53, 19th May 2016 Remixer: Remixer's CommentPretty generic melee map, I'd like to see some improvement there.2/5

M

15:53, 19th May 2016
Remixer:
Comment
Remixer's Comment
Pretty generic melee map, I'd like to see some improvement there.
2/5

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Yellow and Blue have a major advantage to expand to a new gold mine.
This could be easily avoided with moving the starting locations to the back,
so all three players of a team have the same distance to walk to the first expansion.
You also have to open a passage in the forest then to achieve this.

You might also want to check out http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/competitive-melee-map-252987/ and http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/how-create-melee-maps-187652/ for some other minor points.

Level 4
Yellow and Blue have a major advantage to expand to a new gold mine.
This could be easily avoided with moving the starting locations to the back,
so all three players of a team have the same distance to walk to the first expansion.
You also have to open a passage in the forest then to achieve this.

You might also want to check out http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/competitive-melee-map-252987/ and http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/how-create-melee-maps-187652/ for some other minor points.

thanks for reviewing.
yes like you mentioned, yellow and blue have early game scouting advantages, however they only have little to none advantage as to launch an attack to exp gold mines, their starting positions are bit closer to the center exp mines, but "in return", because of the pos of these 2 players, they will take on enemy's invasion first is very likely. also the starting pos for rest of 4 players are closer to the mines on the sea(those mines can be access through ships or zipplins, shipyards are actually closer to starting pos of those 4 players in comparison), so that neutralize the seemingly terrain advantage of blue and yellow. and since this map is 2v2 or 3v3 recommended, the chances for 2 opposing forces started on the same side of the map is highly unlikely, so in 2v2/3v3 situation both teams would share similar beneficial factors on outposting an exp mine.

Thanks for making a suggestion.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Review
Quota
Annotation
Rules
The map does not break any rules and can be reviewed.
Terrain
The map's terrain isn't very refreshing. It's actually rather plain and boring, it also has a few erros for example very edgy ramps with even black, bugged holes in then. You haven't placed many decorative doodads or good looking tiles - tile usage seems a bit random and rushed and thus it's very odd looking overall. Gameplay-vice the terrain isn't very smart either: you combined indestructible objects with cliffs which all also indestructible which makes the other half lose their point. Same with tree walls - only trees and no other objects blocking the passage. Try to make the terrain a bit more smooth and visually balanced.
Gameplay
Meanwhile the map is fair for a 2v2 or 3v3 it isn't very unique. The passages leading to the other side of the map are heavily guarded by creeps which reduces the potential of early units. Also is it necessary to have the way gates? What is their purpose? Additionally the shipyards do not look very appealing to me: why spend thousands of gold and time to get a narrow passage to the enemy side? After all here are 5 creep camps in between, not to mention that the deep water area is very restricted and has no other purpose apart from the gold mines that can be easily besieged. Personally I don't see very potential usage for those. The map feels very divided and thus retiring. Creep camps are really powerful and one can question if they are really worth fighting (not all of them but some). The center hill is also really odd. Only a mad man would try to fight all those creeps there is just way too many of them to gain even a little advantage compared to fighting the enemy straight away (16 creeps at a time total level 118 + 3 other creep camps on the way). Also, the gates block the AI which is a negative side effect of using them. The map pretty much forces the player to fight creep camps that are blocking their path and it's not every good idea to place "optional" creep camps then, especially when they are not very rewarding.
Notable
factors
trophy01.gif
Notable uniqueness.
trophy01.gif
Notable exectution.
trophy01.gif
Notable experience.
Summary
Merits:
+ Balanced and fair gameplay
+ Plausible amount of space to build on
+ Enough resources

Demerits:
- Bad tile usage and few decorative doodads
- (Strong) creep camps blocking paths to enemy
- Some of the creep camps are just too strong
- Questionable neutral building placement (water areas and the middle + way gates)
- AI killing gates

Suggestions:
• Improve tile usage and amount and placement of doodads
• Check the balance of creep camps and their drops
• Question the way gates and the center area
• Figure out if you could revamp the water areas, they feel unnecessary
• Try to increase the amount of strategic points
[tr]
[tr]