• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

3-hour... Ultimate Terr. Map!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I started this yesterday after i decided id have a go at the Ultimate Terr. Map, pretty cool any suggestions would be nice :)

Thnx for the ultimate terraining map as a side note, helps all of us terrainers out

untitled2.jpg

untitled3.jpg

untitled-2.jpg

Just started i think they're pretty good in my opinion, although the fog could be adjusted to stand out more. Maybe a few frogs or snails would do good...

Level 8
the first pictures my favorite fo sho. I like the waterfall (I have a thing for waterfalls) the best. Great use of shrubs to give the area an untamed, yet peaceful look.
The fog itself isnt playing a big role because the picture is so upclose. However you should mess with giving it a slight tint up close just to give it a more indepth atmosphere

My main trouble is the use of blizzards trees. One of the main advantages of the UTM is the large selection of tree models available. Even though its hard to find good ashenvale models, the azshara trees work fairly well with fitting shrubbery. Also, and I've noticed a lot of people doing this, is using small flat objects for platforms and then clustering together. As good as this is to keep the detail of the platform, the premade shading in the models after ruin the look of the platform and it looks blocky.

All in all it looks good, and you should try practicing with more dynamic scenes and camera angles.

Level 13
Although I like the third scene the most (something about the placement of the bricks on the right and the nice blend of tiles) I hafta agree with demonsofdante - The terrain looks pretty nice, but you need to fix the platform in screenie 2.
Also, maybe try adding some wildlife in (a stag or maybe a racoon in scene 3 somewhere back by the trees). As an alternative for blizzard trees try the Ashenvale pines from the UTM. They will look much better. You might want to change the tiles around the waterfall some more too (I've never seen a waterfall come down along grass like that).

In conclusion it looks decent, work on it some more after you get some suggestions and maybe I can work out some rep for ya :wink:

Level 7
Don't use blizzard trees, and use a better fog. It will look a lot better. Also make the ground smoother.

Level 1
i dont like the custom trees in the ult terraining map, they look a bit realistic but they have these weird pikes at the top and are not exactly in concordance with the feel i want to make in the rainy civilization type place.

oh and btw thats not a waterfall heriosan its a "spring' so to speak that is coming up from a fissure in the rocks.

Level 25
Can some one tell me wher did he find the stairs plz !!!!

I recall seeing a model similar to the stairs made in the screenshot on wc3sear.ch a long time ago, but wc3sear.ch is down now and all files aren't downloadable... no idea why the site is still up.

Anyway, he most likely did it the way all good terrainers do. From scratch! It's not as hard as it looks, just takes a while to make and can be pretty aggrovating sometimes.

[How To Do It]:
Make a doodad of a table and change it's pathing to "NONE" or "Mushrooms". It's best to give it the same Maximum/Minimum scale size.
First, place the table doodad where you wish to make the stairs start. then another and a couple others after it spiralling or not (depending if you want it to be a spiral staircase or not) and then you've got the beginning layout of how the stairs will be made.
Now to make the tables look like stairs: (You'll need to do this one table at a time!) Click the first stair, hold ctrl and press pg dn once or twice. Now click the next table which will be the second step and hold ctrl and press pg up once.
Holding ctrl and then pressing pg up or pg dn makes the doodad float up/down. and there you go! Do the same thing to each table and level it out.
~Craka_J

Level 7
It's great, but I think the trees surrounding the huge tree are a bit small.. 5 stairs and you're at the top of them.

Level 6
For the sake of the guy youre praising to, use the smooth tool more often :p

Pic 1 is ok, but use the smooth tool in the background.

Pic 2 more texture variation, use different trees and the elves could easily fall down on the ground put a balustrade up there.

Pic 3 imho the stairs are to steep, and use the smooth tool~, also place some trees in the backgrounds it looks like you only placed them on the street.

Overall nice work.

Level 1
wow this is an old post how come everyones now posting, and btw jirinal the smooth tool is not good here since this is a forest not everything is nice cleancut and smooth in a forest...unless you want to make some weird shots we terrainers want to make pics look realistic.. plus as i said this is old and i havent the time or the will to post any new pics and funny that you should say balistrade as i did in the later versions

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.