• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

2P Archon Bonus Campaign Founding of Durotar

Founding of Durotar
2P Archon Mode

Play the bonus campaign with a friend!
It also works in singleplayer.

Current Version: V1.7

266533-1ba9adb2d06f9fc95b5f5a112730d75b.jpg

How to play

In order to start playing the first act you will need to create a game from the map OrcXA1. The game will ask you for the difficulty and you will need to type either -easy, -normal, or -hard. Difficulty can not be changed! Any player can type this kinds of commands.

How to Save/Load

When one of your heroes goes into a transition area, a message will show up:
full

When this message appears it means that game values have been saved in one of your Warcraft III/Logs, Warcraft III/Custom Map Data or Documents/Warcraft III/Custom Map Data folder, depending on your game version. After you do this, atleast one player needs to save the game depending on the map you are currently playing (eg. If it's Durotar you save as A1Durotar) from the F10 Menu.
Depending on the zone you are going to you will need create a game from that map. The maps are:
  • OrcXA1 - Durotar/To tame a land
  • OrcXA1Den - Beast Den
  • OrcXA1Echo - Echo Isles
  • OrcXA1Thunder - Thunder Ridge
  • OrcXA1Tunnels - Orgrimmar Tunnels
WARNING! Do not enter the transition area if:
  • at least one of your heroes is stunned, rooted, hexed, put to sleep or any buff or debuff that won't allow him to use or pick up items
  • Chen is in his Storm, Earth and Fire Form
  • at least one of your heroes is dead. (this is also prevented by triggers)
If you entered by mistake and want to go back, type -cancel.

In the first screenshot, Rexxar is shown walking into the Orgrimmar Tunnels. After we save the game as A1Durotar, we quit the game and start a new one from the map OrcXA1Tunnels.
full

The game asks us to load Rexxar. Any player can copy and paste the code from the file named A1DurotarToTunnels.txt, that the last level generated. Then the game will ask for the codes for the other heroes. Finally the game will ask for "Additional Data". You copy the code just like the other codes. This code saves data like quests, gold, lumber and current difficulty.
Example of the A1DurotarToTunnels.txt file (do not copy codes from here, copy from your own file)
full

Tip: If your codes are on the same line (usually when you use default notepad) close the text file and open it with Notepad++, Windows Wordpad or Microsoft Word.
If you want to leave Orgrimmar Tunnels to go to Durotar, you need to go to the Transition area. Save the game as A1Tunnels by using the F10 Menu. Quit the game. Create a new game from your previous load "A1Durotar". Once loaded, the game asks you to either type -loadstart in order to start loading or -cancel if you want to go back to Durotar without loading the new data. After typing -loadstart, you will be asked to type codes for Rexxar, your other heroes and Additional Data. You get them from the file A1TunnelsToDurotar.txt.

Changes from normal game

Some aspects were change to create a bit of flavor. Gazlowe is now a hero Tinker. Nazgrel is a mini-hero called "War Seer" (from the 2P Orc Campaign), though has the old abilities (Ensnare) and can't level up or gain stats. Vol'Jin is now a Troll Berserker.
Some easter eggs on some maps. Drek'Thar has a new ability. The Rexxar Wyvern has one of his abilities replaced.

full

full

[2018-08-13]-Act 1 Uploaded.
[2018-08-14]-Bonus Skill Points and Chen are correctly saved and loaded. Beast Den Quest appears after heroes are loaded. Fixed Codes not fitting in file. No more numbers after save in Den. Setting difficulty bug fixed.
[2018-08-19]-Fixed Codes after Chen is aqcuired. Names no longer appear in file. Drek'Thar has new ability. Added back hero names in file. Use version V1.7.
[2018-08-20]-Fixed OrcXA1Den not working in multiplayer. Use version V1.71 for this map.
[2018-08-21]-Fixed OrcXA1Thunder Drek'thar being hostile. Use version V1.71 for this map.

Blizzard Entertainment - Maps
AceHart - Save/Load System Template Map (helped me understand the system)
Kilmaat - Improved Save/Load System
Deolrin - FrostwolfOutrider.mdx, FrostwolfOutrider_Portrait.mdx (Nazgrel Model)
Mr.Goblin - BTN/DISBTNFrostwolfrider.blp (Nazgrel Icon)
assasin_lord - HeroGlow (For Vol'Jin)

Also check out Kilmaat's 2P Archon Mode Campaigns

I have not tested this map in multiplayer, but I played as both P1 and P2 and have fixed the problems I have seen. If there are any bugs, tell me in the comments.
Contents

OrcXA1 (Map)

OrcXA1Den (Map)

OrcXA1Echo (Map)

OrcXA1Thunder (Map)

OrcXA1Tunnels (Map)

Reviews
tulee
Ok, so I finally beat this today with my friend. The entire campaign works fine, it was a lot of fun. Some issues I encountered- During the first 2-3 cinematics, Rexxar and his bear misha seemed confused as to where to face. They would turn around...
deepstrasz
Approved based on tulee's comments. I hope we'll get to see the whole Founding of Durotar for two players.
Level 2
ok one I don't understand how to load the file onto the game. meaning where do I put the W3X files at. and second how do I get the load codes for each hero since they didn't come with the download. do I have to launch it for them to generate?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
ok one I don't understand how to load the file onto the game. meaning where do I put the W3X files at. and second how do I get the load codes for each hero since they didn't come with the download. do I have to launch it for them to generate?
Maybe this campaign thread explains it better Beyond the Dark Portal (1p/2p)
The maps are put in the game's Maps folder which is under c:\users\documents\Warcraft III\Maps for post 1.28 versions.
Read the description of this map thread as it says the codes appear when heroes are going from one map to another. Then read how to load them. Note that this is not technically a campaign so maps have to be started one after the other manually.

Level 1
Hi, just wondering.. Do you know how to change the heroes? Been trying to do it forever. Heroes always transition back (Rexxar reset to default if I changed him/his abilities and enter Tunnels etc). Wanna try something like a Blademaster instead, since i love this map. Anyway sick job on this :D

I tried it, works on Reforged with the HD graphics (Nazgrel looks like a potato tho, and possibly anything else that uses an imported model), and the recolored creeps/buildings look a little weird. The big problem is that Reforged no longer allows for save games in multiplayer, so this is pretty much unplayable once you reach a zone transfer.

Any ideas on how to work around this? I thought of pausing the main game (on Durotar) and launching a second copy of Reforged to host the submaps, but this causes the first client to disconnect from battlenet. So unless you got 2 computers with 2 blizzard accounts and 2 copies of Refoged PER PLAYER, I don't see how this could be done.

I tried it, works on Reforged with the HD graphics (Nazgrel looks like a potato tho, and possibly anything else that uses an imported model), and the recolored creeps/buildings look a little weird. The big problem is that Reforged no longer allows for save games in multiplayer, so this is pretty much unplayable once you reach a zone transfer.

Any ideas on how to work around this? I thought of pausing the main game (on Durotar) and launching a second copy of Reforged to host the submaps, but this causes the first client to disconnect from battlenet. So unless you got 2 computers with 2 blizzard accounts and 2 copies of Refoged PER PLAYER, I don't see how this could be done.
Yep. They removed the saving of multiplayer games, which makes this campaign unplayable in Reforged. Maybe you can save the game if one of the player disconnects? Though I'm not sure if you can start a game from a save in Reforged (you probably can't as I don't think they would let you do that if you aren't allowed to save).

@TheSpoon, the creator of the 2P Campaigns is making his own version of this campaign, where instead of saving the maps manually before transitions, he tries to recreate the state of the map based on the input code

Yep. They removed the saving of multiplayer games, which makes this campaign unplayable in Reforged. Maybe you can save the game if one of the player disconnects? Though I'm not sure if you can start a game from a save in Reforged (you probably can't as I don't think they would let you do that if you aren't allowed to save).

@TheSpoon, the creator of the 2P Campaigns is making his own version of this campaign, where instead of saving the maps manually before transitions, he tries to recreate the state of the map based on the input code
Nope, I tried playing alone on LAN and it still wouldn't let me save.
Would it be impossible to just cram all of the maps into one giant map, or is there not enough space for this? It would make everything so much simpler, even if some zones might look a little different due to tileset limitations, this can be worked around with imported custom models of cliffs and custom terrain and whatnot.

EDIT: According to this calculator, all the maps from the first chapter (including their boundary zones) can fit inside a 288x288 map. This is far from the maximum map size of 480x480, so I think the other chapters can fit in their own giant maps too. What are their individual map dimensions?

The trouble really is the tileset limitations, because only for the first chapter you have Barrens, Ashenvale, Sunken Ruins and Underground, and all make heavy use of their own cliff textures. It's gonna be tough to recreate them using one single tileset. It's a shame the tileset restrictions are still in place in reforged, texture memory is not a limiting factor anymore, Blizzard could have easily allowed us to use ALL of the tilesets in one map.

Last edited:
Nope, I tried playing alone on LAN and it still wouldn't let me save.
Would it be impossible to just cram all of the maps into one giant map, or is there not enough space for this? It would make everything so much simpler, even if some zones might look a little different due to tileset limitations, this can be worked around with imported custom models of cliffs and custom terrain and whatnot.

EDIT: According to this calculator, all the maps from the first chapter (including their boundary zones) can fit inside a 288x288 map. This is far from the maximum map size of 480x480, so I think the other chapters can fit in their own giant maps too. What are their individual map dimensions?

The trouble really is the tileset limitations, because only for the first chapter you have Barrens, Ashenvale, Sunken Ruins and Underground, and all make heavy use of their own cliff textures. It's gonna be tough to recreate them using one single tileset. It's a shame the tileset restrictions are still in place in reforged, texture memory is not a limiting factor anymore, Blizzard could have easily allowed us to use ALL of the tilesets in one map.
Porting all the submaps into the main map is an interesting idea, but it is very difficult, because of terrain, triggers and custom units. And it will not give a faithful experience of the original maps.

Until Blizzard reenables multiplayer saving and creating games from saves, you should follow @TheSpoon's progress on his version

Porting all the submaps into the main map is an interesting idea, but it is very difficult, because of terrain, triggers and custom units. And it will not give a faithful experience of the original maps.

Until Blizzard reenables multiplayer saving and creating games from saves, you should follow @TheSpoon's progress on his version
Dunno, I'm not a mapmaker, but it does sound easier to get a good terrainer to recreate the non-barrens zones with custom doodads than script a code that saves the state of an entire map.

Anyway, I tried this map with 1.27 (the last version with reliable multiplayer saves lol) and it works wonderfully. Will definitely be playing this through with my brother. Are there any plans for chapters 2 and 3? I think they're worth making, because people can enjoy them with older versions of the game, and Blizzard will (presumably) fix MP saves sometime in the future (I hope lol), so they will be playable in Reforged too.

Level 3
Hello. Me and my brother downloaded the campaign and from the start it went smooth... until we completed the mission in Thunder Ridge and were heading back to Durotar. We saved the codes for both the mission and our hero's but when when he tried to load the game it doesn't load for him. Any advice?

Hello. Me and my brother downloaded the campaign and from the start it went smooth... until we completed the mission in Thunder Ridge and were heading back to Durotar. We saved the codes for both the mission and our hero's but when when he tried to load the game it doesn't load for him. Any advice?
By load the game do you mean create a custom game from the save? I haven't tried that in Reforged so I'm not sure if it works properly

Level 3
By load the game do you mean create a custom game from the save? I haven't tried that in Reforged so I'm not sure if it works properly
No, we aren't playing on reforged. We found wc3 with patch 1.27 which works perfectly fine. I meant it says save a game by that and that name and load it. But the thing is when we go to load game only i am able to play enter, there isn't a spot for him. We both have saved the previous chapter and have the codes for our hero's but still nothing. What could be the issue?

No, we aren't playing on reforged. We found wc3 with patch 1.27 which works perfectly fine. I meant it says save a game by that and that name and load it. But the thing is when we go to load game only i am able to play enter, there isn't a spot for him. We both have saved the previous chapter and have the codes for our hero's but still nothing. What could be the issue?
Never tried it in 1.27, but I made it in 1.30. Didn't know you can play 1.30 maps in 1.27. I think you should play in 1.30 or 1.31