• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Roleplay : Redemption -- Medivh's Graffiti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roleplay: Redemption
Medivh's Graffiti

Any future discussions and flame wars regarding Roleplay : Redemption should be posted here -- starting from 16 October 2016 CE (or 105 R.O.C.).

Please, stop ruining the Roleplay with debates. You're not running a Presidential Election here. If we have an urgent matter to discuss regarding the roleplay, please do it here. The roleplay thread is supposed to be fun for everyone.

P.S. To anyone else, if you feel offended about the thread title please tell me. I'll change it to something simple and boring.

Level 21
We still have to discuss if kingdoms and factions will come in to play later

We should also discuss if we want it to be more serious,or be more casual and un-serious

About factions and nations, each player can have one under normal circumstances. More than one factions will only be considered when one plans for a major event, event or whatever.

We need some sort of efficient system and rule about each faction's status, perhaps a website which can let us store some simple economics and social unrest, etc. things like that for our roleplay. Or at the very least, we should consider some basic economics (such as when some sneaky bastard print fake money and destroy infrastructure, your economy and thus your ability to wage war will be affected) and sometimes certain events like riots, plagues, etc.

To encourage others to have characters split inside different factions, and maybe let them play with different character styles, make it three characters max. for each player per faction?

About the scale of fun-serious, I recommend to leave it to the players themselves, but if you ask me a mix of both is the best

Level 24
Having different characters in different factions will be hard to control, well depending the RPer himself/herself, unless they're secondaries or miscs. But I believe a max is necessary.

We still need a dm though, one that can balance and take the terrain, economy and society into account. That be you Directive or Chaosy, if you want to. Maybe I perhaps might want to become a dm myself, but we ought to create another rp for that which we already have a current.

So for me, let's stick on continuing the current rp.

Having different characters in different factions will be hard to control, well depending the RPer himself/herself, unless they're secondaries or miscs. But I believe a max is necessary.

We still need a dm though, one that can balance and take the terrain, economy and society into account. That be you Directive or Chaosy, if you want to. Maybe I perhaps might want to become a dm myself, but we ought to create another rp for that which we already have a current.

So for me, let's stick on continuing the current rp.

Well, it's up to the Roleplayer himself/herself anyways if they want to put their characters in other factions, but a maximum limit of characters in each faction is necessary. Maybe how many factions can a Roleplayer join?

I'll gladly take the DM task.
Maybe we all fall down into the Underdark in this RP and we create factions -- or just one "humanity" faction inside and fight against Drows, Illithids, whatever? Or should we just continue Roleplay : Flames of War?

We can make the RP two-ways, or have the two parts interconnected with one another. The dungeon boss can be a secret agency fighting against the Drows, and they need skilled commandos to help them in the Underdark. That can be why the facility is just up there

@WhiteFang once suggested that those that survived the dungeon would become slaves of some influencal drove house.

Which is interesting but doesn't make sense for powerful characters.

By drove house you mean a group of weird humanoids like the Drows or Illithids?

Well, if they survived the dungeon, then yes, they proved to be powerful to a degree.
But even my two characters -- the gurus of shadow magics who chose to be unique and make a difference (by not going to the rooms), couldn't hold themselves during the freefall, fall asleep and got themselves arrested (and molested) by the brainsucking squids.

I think we could implement both my and WhiteFang's ideas in the roleplay together. Most will end up as commandos, but some will fall down into the Underdark halfway during their adventure. But all of those who survived will be sent downwards -- with strong parachutes blessed with magic -- to infiltrate or fight against the Drows and Illithids

@Directive255 also what is the 'abyss of void'?
Is this the confirmed name of the universe or something?

I thought 'drowland' has no name and I just made a name for it.
It's the space of void you'll see if you blast off parts of the dungeon walls. Probably related to the Underdark in some way, or maybe it's the sky of Underdark? Or a different realm?

Level 21
Aye,I wouldn't mind.Besides,according to my back story and lore it does exist(Archimonde Supreme mentioned a few times in the official RPs)

Edit:Looks like that is settled then.How about the @Paillan @Chaosy room thing?

Level 21
A realm of darkness in general I guess.I had a few plans for it I was going to execute in the Official RP #3 but it never happened so yeah....maybe Ill find a way to do it this RP

edit:Here is a WoW gamepedia quote about the void
The Void, also referred to as Shadow,[2] dark energy,[3] dark magic,[3][4] dark[3][5][6] ordarkness,[3][6] is one of the two most fundamental forces of the universe, along with the Light. Although the two forces are contradictory by nature, one cannot exist without the other. Although usually dwelling in a realm outside the borders of reality, shades of the Void occasionally seep into the physical universe, manifesting as shadow magic.[2] The Void is a dark and vampiric force that seeks to devour all energy and to twist creation into feeding upon itself.[7] The void can be a source of terrible power, but it is the kind of power that comes at a price.[8]

Although its energetic nature, it seems to also be a plane of existence; Dimensius the All-Devouringopened gateways to the Void and the Twisting Nether when he invaded K'aresh

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Here is a little something I've thought of in the past.
What about having stats? What I mean is that it's very hard to determine how strong a character is by words alone since the meaning is subjective.
"X ran with quick speed towards Y."

How can one translate this, quick as in slightly above average by our standards? eg running 60 meters in 9.x seconds.
Or, because this is a fantasy world I should assume that everyone is even quicker, and that "quick" in RP is twice as fast?

That problem aside, what about this.
Character X is a very quick person. Let's say 9/10
Character Y is also quite quick, 8/10

How do one know which one is faster by words alone? if I say "X ran with insane speed" this can be anywhere between 7-10.
It has occurred on more than one occasion in the past that I've given a character one key trait where he/she should basically be unbeatable. But that message has not gotten across and another character exceeds in that area with seeming ease. Amber being the most recent one.

I don't expect this suggestion to go through, it's just food for thought. (I think that's how you say it?)

So, every character would have 25 (example) points to spend.
Basic example with Aedari:
Strength - 1/10
Speed - 6/10
Agility - 7/10
Magic Potency - 9/10
Stealth - 1/10
Leadership - 1/10

Last edited:
Level 21
Well,I can't really see this working with me.I could see why it would be helpful
I don't like giving precise numbers or stats to my character.There is of course a difference in all my characters' strength,intelligence and speed but the thought of giving a precise number or rating doesn't sit well with me

I do agree that it's hard to determine how strong something/someone is,and I have had issues in the past with strong characters not coming across as powerful as I said and simply treated like normal enemies.I think we need to find a way to do that.
Perhaps giving a rating like NWN's that range from effortless to owerpowering?but then again,I can think of a few issues with that too

Edit:I feel like I should add that it's just my personal taste and that the idea of stats it self is not bad.Sorry if I came across as too negative

Also,didn't see your other example

Let's see,for Mannaroth I would do this:
Not 25,but it's how I would do him
Strength - 10/10
Speed - 3/10
Agility -2/10
Magic Potency - 7/10
Stealth - 1/10
Leadership - 5/10

Last edited:
Level 21
I can understand that,I would be pretty annoyed to if someone simply ran faster as Draug or sneak up on him since he is a trained assassin and is very light.It's not humanly possible to catch up to him,especially since he has decades of experience in his trait

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Well, if he use human skills magic could be used to achieve that since they human senses are limited, magic goes beyond.
In my case, Amber was the unrivaled strongest magic user in my faction. My idea was that she was unbeatable in terms of raw power, you would have to use tactics to beat her.
My idea of her death would be to hold innocents hostage, and she would sacrifice herself to let them free. And additionally it would be quite hard to make her engage in the first place because she is the peaceful sort.
So, you would use her morals and feelings against her, not her powers. Which I thought was fair. (maybe not, it's subjective)

So, Amber created what I called the "God Zone" or something, which was a extremely temporary realm where she could unleash her full power on a demi-god level.
Deroc (who was only the second strongest :-/) absorbed her spell (which was empowered in the god-zone) quite easily, taking it head on despite the field being her forte and her best spell at that.
*triggered*

This is not to bash Directive because this happened freaquently in my old RP community as well.
And, I do not believe the situation arose because Directive went god mode (pun intended). I think he expected a 50 post-length fight and that's why he took the first spell with ease to make the battle last longer, but I ended it at 5 posts or something because I do not like anime like battles that last forever. (I know, not all battles in anime lasts forever, but many do)

Level 21
I think most expect a long battle when two characters of power engage,depending on the power difference.For example,if I student should face a master,the master will obviously come out on top and very quick,due to him having much more experience and knowledge.But should two very powerful characters go against each other and both are masters in the same art with more or less the same level of power,the battle will take much longer.If there is no clear superior one,other traits would most likely come in to

For example,my old char Aztor vs Amber.Aztor is a powerful,old demon warlock.However,he is a bit impatient and can sometimes act carelessly.This of course is a very strong weakpoint and may lead to his defeat if the battle is long

In the end though,I myself do not really prefer long battles or battling against other players in general since a PvP in RACC can go on for ever despite one facing another head on with his own strong point,which is the problem that led to this discussion in the first place xD

Edit:fixed the names.Accidentally said Amber was a powerful,old demon warlock which I'm pretty sure is nowhere near true lol

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I wouldn't say that it takes longer just because two skilled opponents take each other on.
Let's say we have two warriors, both have 10/10 in both attack and defense.

We also have two apprentices, who have 5/10 in both attack and defense.

If the two were to battle, they would probably end at roughly the same time.
Which makes sense if you think about it.

Level 21
I don't think they will roughly end at the same time,because as I said personality and traits also play a part in fights,which is something some people tend to forget.If a person is short tempered and impatient there is a very good chance that he will make a mistake and lose
I do think that if two masters battled it will take longer,than if two apprentices fought.There are quite a lot of aspects to a battle,but most don't play a part here.I do not even know what does,seems like only raw power

Thing is,in RACC there are no apprentices,only super ultra mega godly grandmasters

Edit:I feel like we really need to discuss a way to indicate characters' power

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Everything is relative.
A master's punch will hit very hard, yes? but against another master's defense, it becomes 'normal'.
A master may have a lot of endurance, but his punches also use more energy because they are stronger.
A master may have very little flaws. But a master also needs very little in order to exploit it.

Do you see how it balances out?

Level 21
I feel like a masters punch wouldn't necessarily use more energy.However,I can't really say I'm a expert in this so I could be wrong

Level 21
Very well,I can see that.I do think that with practice the spell could become much easier to use but overall yes,a more powerful spell would take more mana and concentration

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I've seen quite a few different concepts of that in different fictions.
In some books they cut down chanting/incantations when mastering a spell.

In others the strength of the spell simply changes. Even to the extent that it may not seem like the same spell anymore.

I can't recall one that have mana reduction, but I am sure there are some with that system.

But if that is the case, one might as well remove mana completely because it's not relevant for the masters (Which everyone is, as you said)

Level 21
Well,I don't think there is mana in RACC.It was mentioned and tried a few time,and there was a few other things.I think as of right now,we don't have a limit except common sense and becoming 'exhausted' so to speak

Level 21
To be honest,I don't really think there is much balance if at all.I'm taking it pretty slow this rp so far,trying to limit the power.I have a feeling shit will hit the fan though when we get into a tough fight.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I meant this:
Everything is relative.
A master's punch will hit very hard, yes? but against another master's defense, it becomes 'normal'.
A master may have a lot of endurance, but his punches also use more energy because they are stronger.
A master may have very little flaws. But a master also needs very little in order to exploit it.

Level 21
Well,then yes.That sort of balance won't take place in RACC.
Let's me fix that:
Everything is random
A master's fireball spell will hit very hard, yes? but against another master's 100 absorbtion, it becomes useless'.
A master may have a lot of supernatural absorbtion, but his nukes also use no energy even though they are stronger.
A master may have no flaws. But a master must literally be God in order to exploit it.

Jk,I'm messing around.In all seriousness though,that balance doesn't exist here.I don't really mind it all too much,since it is near impossible to get 100% precise balance.I do mind however,when someone counters my every move and acts llike it has no effect.So I'm good with imbalance,just not complete imbalance

Level 24
PvP does sometimes exploit one's abilities and powers, though I can't say for ones that are made during the battle than those that are planned before.
I enjoy it a while, but a long battle would indeed be tiring, since the RP itself is running, the battle is also running and the characters would miss the events happening.

Since balance here (*fart*) have hardly an existence, maybe we just try adding a limit of the character's power (It might have already been implemented, "op limit"). Since most of you agreed on not having long tedious fights, then I'll assume that one player would be defeated or end a battle with another player, that's for sure.

Level 21
I enjoy it a while, but a long battle would indeed be tiring, since the RP itself is running, the battle is also running and the characters would miss the events happening.
QFT

maybe we just try adding a limit of the character's power (It might have already been implemented, "op limit")
Aye,all my old characters were within the boundaries of the old RPs op limit.So all my characters are already limited.Besides,I can control myself......mostly

. Since most of you agreed on not having long tedious fights, then I'll assume that one player would be defeated or end a battle with another player, that's for sure.
Thing is,because we can't kill other characters without permission a PvP fight technically can't end.Sure you can knock your opponent out but that isn't really interesting and you would only end up fighting again at a later point

Status
Not open for further replies.