1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

101 Do's and Dont's of Terraining

Discussion in 'Terrain & Level Design' started by DoOs_101, May 6, 2007.

1. iristle

iristle

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    75)Include wildlife! Ever seen a forest with no wildlife in it?
    76)Try and have your terrain have a theme Eg. Creepy, Enchanted.

2. 1)ark_NiTe

1)ark_NiTe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    How?

3. Jattenalle

Jattenalle

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    In your graphics card settings. WC3 itself have no such option.

4. DoOs_101

DoOs_101

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We are close men! Do not give UP! March! March!

5. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    Dont spam small doodads to make a bigger doodads, such as small rocks to make a giant cliff

Use dynamic camera angles to make the terrain more interesting

Determine beforehand whether the terrain will be playable or not

Be aware importing extra tiles takes up a lot more room and is often uneeded.

Make sure to download the misc.txt file if you want steep cliffs.

If your terrain is not meant to be played, download custom trees to replace blizzard's for better screenshots.

Custom models do not make a good terrain. Precision, knowledge, and unity do.

Turn off pathing for more freedom in placing doodads. (But remember to put pathing blockers for playable maps).

Units can walk on elevators no matter their height or model, this can open up a lot of possibilities when terraining playable maps.

Constantly avoid sharp edges in the terrain, the smooth tool is your friend.

Spells, buffs and missiles can make interesting doodads and effects.

Terraining takes practice, dont give up!

If large doodads are getting in the way of other doodads in the editor, go to the object editor and check true for "Ignore Model Clicks" for that large doodad.

I dunno if i repeated any, thats just all that came to mind

6. Larksmann

Larksmann

Resources:
    Resources:
    @ "5. Do not use the random height field, it is a noob feature."

Sorry, but this one really annoys me. It's a GREAT feature if you use it with the Smooth tool, which most people don't.

7. skaterjcp

skaterjcp

Resources:
    Resources:
    Heres my 3 cents

-Every small detail counts
    -Dont just cover large areas with big groupings of trees, work on each part
    -Blend the terrain so it looks as natural as possible

8. DoOs_101

DoOs_101

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We are dying...

9. panther-anthro

panther-anthro

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You guys know blizzard cliffs, can be useful in a few regards, but not in the regard that blizzard intended them to be used. If you use them skillfully a blizzard cliff could be used to enhance your terrain and how it works. You just have to modify your idea of how to use the cliff, cliffs aren't always a bad thing.

10. Blue_Jeans

Blue_Jeans

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm thinking we could use another one of these:
    (77?). Blizzard trees are a No-no. Bad boy, don't use!

11. panther-anthro

panther-anthro

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Are we talking map functional terrain ment for B.net or terraining to make it look pretty, if its for b.net both cliffs and blizzard trees are less of a issue.

12. Codexx

Codexx

Resources:
    Resources:
    People are too whiny.

If someone came out with high res replicas of Blizzard trees, I'd say everyone should use them. But it's more effective at this time to not bother tracking down a suitable, good quality, low file size model, and then using that.

So here's a tip.

DON'T EVER take a tutorial and make something that looks EXACTLY like in the tutorial and use it in a map. Tutorials are great, but make it your OWN terrain first. This goes double for textures. If someone makes a nice tile, and you want to get a feel for making textures, and make one exactly like in the tutorial, or as close as you can get, DON'T use it. Even if it looks different due to randomization and such that may occur in Photoshop, it's still NOT YOURS.

13. panther-anthro

panther-anthro

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Glad someone else aggrees with me that it's not that bad to use blizzard trees, in a functional map. You are definitely right about the tutorials though.

14. Codexx

Codexx

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah, it's annoying when someone replicates it. It's ok to learn, but nobody should rely on it to make the same thing once they understand it well enough. And if you don't understand how to do it yourself, but NEED it for a map or something else, then just keep practicing until you can apply the lessons to your own work.

I took a Photoshop tutorial for making text look like rocks in a river, lined up to make words. And what did I do? Without practice I made a realistic Castle stone wall. Granted it wasn't for Warcraft 3 or anything, but it was for a Guild Layout for my WoW Guild, and it came out pretty nice. I didn't even practice.

15. Pyritie

Pyritie

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    • Tint your doodads darker if you want more of a dark/evil/dead ambience.
    • The shrub doodad and the river rushes are your friend! Tint the river rushes so they match your grass color.
    • Don't forget to add critters! They are very important for making a scene look more realistic.