• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

1.32.9 PTR PATCH NOTES

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] Sound3DSimulation library [...]
@Kakerate: I am interested in a link.

If it is an audio wrapper, then maybe another one might do the trick? Like:
Who uses IndirectSound and/or Creative ALchemy?

[...] Sound3DSimulation library was working fine on 1.26, and now it is 100% nonfunctional. what gives?
For the record, Blizzard dropped the Miles Sound System with 1.30.0, which has been replaced by FMOD Ex since then afaik. Also, starting with Windows Vista, some DirectX audio APIs have been deprecated, and some of the audio rendering may work differently (that is why software such as CoolSoft MIDIMapper exists, btw) on modern OSes. So, maybe this Sound3DSimulation software is very much out of date? or plain incompatible with FMOD ex, depending on how it works?

Last edited:
Level 13
So they replaced the sound engine with a new one that doesn't allow changing of sound volumes? That's all the Sim3D sound library is doing. But maybe you can change game volumes, but just not for imported sounds? Using .mp3s btw.

The link you provided is interesting, but it couldn't be bundled with the map so it's not preferential for me.

heres what im using: [System] Simulate 3D Sound

Last edited:
Reactions: pyf
Level 10
The hive could handpick 5 people to go to blizzard and have all their resources and could fix the game in probably a week. Thats whats sad about this whole fiasco

No, they wouldn't. It is a classic that some newcomers in a company think "yeah, there is so much stuff going wrong, i can fix that easily.". Then they go into the place and begin working. Then they face what piece of crap the people before them have produced. They may even think "Well shit, it will probably take a year or so, but it will work out". This statement would be even true, but then everything around them in the workplace comes crashing down. From erratic project managers that change the requirements on the fly to coworkers that spew out such a toxic work enviroment that half your time is occupated with the shit the other people throw around. And then you look at how much money you make at that shithole of a job and think "well, i could work on this with passion for low wage, or i can move somewhere else."

And then these people leave, leaving behind unfinished work that pile up on that mess of a project, making progress for newcomers even more difficult. And most of the work these people did will go to waste because of course they got no time to make a proper documentation of their work. And when they given um they no longer care if the people after them can work properly.

Changing these kind of structures is an absolute nightmare to pull off, which i can tell from experience. So no, i don't think the issues are neither easy to fix nor just need more people. This needs more fundamental change within the company and/or the higher ranks of the management.

Level 18
No, they wouldn't. It is a classic that some newcomers in a company think "yeah, there is so much stuff going wrong, i can fix that easily.". Then they go into the place and begin working. Then they face what piece of crap the people before them have produced. They may even think "Well shit, it will probably take a year or so, but it will work out". This statement would be even true, but then everything around them in the workplace comes crashing down. From erratic project managers that change the requirements on the fly to coworkers that spew out such a toxic work enviroment that half your time is occupated with the shit the other people throw around. And then you look at how much money you make at that shithole of a job and think "well, i could work on this with passion for low wage, or i can move somewhere else."

And then these people leave, leaving behind unfinished work that pile up on that mess of a project, making progress for newcomers even more difficult. And most of the work these people did will go to waste because of course they got no time to make a proper documentation of their work. And when they given um they no longer care if the people after them can work properly.

Changing these kind of structures is an absolute nightmare to pull off, which i can tell from experience. So no, i don't think the issues are neither easy to fix nor just need more people. This needs more fundamental change within the company and/or the higher ranks of the management.
Sounds to me like those companies need a lot more people working and a lot less people in charge.

Level 10
Sounds to me like those companies need a lot more people working and a lot less people in charge.

No, not really. One or two people in the wrong positions can create structures like this, given enough time. Even more so, too few people in charge (meaning: strict, very linear hierarchies) can actually cause these structures. Although these exist in companies with very flat hierarchies either. Mainly because the problem does not only come from leading staff, but to the same degree from cliques and liars/blamings within the working staff. You need to break up the cliques, get rid of the lying/blaming problem and cause a change in the leading behaviour of the managment.

So this does not depend entirely on the pure amount of people. But rather on the companies core values and the control of these among the whole staff. A few rotten apples do indeed spoil the whole basket.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Hell no. That would be lamely overpowered and would kill the balance and gameplay of custom maps using the spell.
Same for the others. One thing is to add on top of what we have and another thing entirely to just replace/change beyond recognition.
They've already done this before, with Incinerate & Anti-Magic Shell and the like; they simply add in another ability to the game, leaving the original alone ("deprecated"). It's no big deal (in fact, it's kinda nice to have multiple abilities).

I know most people don't care about things like footprints, but I find it really irritating that it's been more than 17 years and they never fixed the numerous problems with footprints in any of the classic models.
Many units have footprints that are too small or too big, e.g. Doom Guard's footprints are tiny; Villager Woman apparently has larger feet than Blood Mage.

Druid of the Claw is the only model with skeleton footprints; all skeleton models actually use boot footprints.

Spirit Pig model was based on Spirit Wolf, but the footprints were not changed from paws to cloven.

Archimonde and Eredar models don't have any footprints.

Villager Kids don't have right footprints, only left ones.

Succubi (aka Demoness) and Mur'gul Slave have event objects for footprints, but they are not used because of incorrect event tracks.

Faceless One has feet with two large toes, but uses boot footprints.

Dune Worm critter doesn't have legs, but leaves boot footprints during one of its stand animations.

There are also Object Editor things that would have taken less than a minute to fix:

The "Art - Special" field was mistakenly left empty in Jungle Stalker creeps, which makes them suddenly disappear instead of exploding when they are killed by an artillery attack or by "Finger of Pain/Death" abilities.

Warden and Crypt Lord have "Flesh" Armor Type instead of "Metal" and "Wood", respectively.
MY MAN. Pointing out the Deep Lore Issues. ; )
(no joke I appreciate your attention to detail)

Level 13
"Disabling Use Fixed Random Seed now properly randomizes the seed." wow big rip to anyone who tried testing RNG mechanics on reforged editor the past 6 months LOL

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] The link you provided is interesting, but it couldn't be bundled with the map so it's not preferential for me.

heres what im using: [System] Simulate 3D Sound
@Kakerate: thanks for the link. Now I understand.

These audio wrappers work at OS/game level, therefore they can not be integrated into any map afaik.

Should you want to experiment with them someday, I have forgotten to mention DSOAL (DirectSound to OpenAL audio wrapper) and OpenAL Soft
- OpenAL Soft - Software 3D Audio
- Index of /hosted/dsoal-builds/
- Wrapping sound with dgVoodoo in the future? \ VOGONS
- Emulating EAX on any onboard sound hardware? \ VOGONS
(it is where to go to get support for that kind of software)

fyi, IndirectSound seems to indeed successfully restore 3D audio sound in Diablo II LoD digital v1.14b on Windows 10 v1909 64-bit.

Level 23
If Bliz has time, I think many melee/ladder players would appreciate having games not start as soon as everyone loads, since it forces everyone to be under pressure as they do not know when the game will start. I mean, if they wanted to be funny, they could even implement the Bliz-made Wc3 Grand Prix start, whereby that announcer says 3, 2, 1 while the numbers appear on the screen. Basically, the game is paused once it starts until the 3-2-1 timer ends.

Level 19
If Bliz has time, I think many melee/ladder players would appreciate having games not start as soon as everyone loads, since it forces everyone to be under pressure as they do not know when the game will start. I mean, if they wanted to be funny, they could even implement the Bliz-made Wc3 Grand Prix start, whereby that announcer says 3, 2, 1 while the numbers appear on the screen. Basically, the game is paused once it starts until the 3-2-1 timer ends.
well there are no TRACES of existance of yet another engineer who could make it live
but no worries, next patch will COME with more FOOTPRINTS to look at!

They dont even have software engineer to bring classic features back.

I mean i bet they do have. Its just they dont wanna pay wow software engeneer mentioned at blizzcon 2018 , who could fix the whole game for 4-5 months.

Footprints and balance patches? What about Reforged ?

I am 100% sure , that we need Reforged to become totaly new and seperate game,with art reworked, new engine (steal sc2) with new devs, new everything.

Just let classic be classic and maintain footprints and balance changes.

Cant be work on old code with this slow progress, it is impossible.

Dont tell me about splitting community , they tried their best according to their competence. They had best intention to have cross compability and as you can see classic suffer cause of reforged. It shares its destiny. At the end everything ends bad...

Its time Reforged become totaly new game, based on wc3 and within a decade deliver us expansion.

-Wait 2-3 years for footprint patches, and maybe bringing all classic features back, an game brought to some stable state. But next time some patch focks everything, and then go in circle

OR

-Wait 2-3 years for a new fresh game, that is true modern Warcraft 3, with possibility of new expansions, skins etc.
And to be honest its more logical to port wc3 to new engine based on sc2 lets say (for many reasons,including already ported mechanics) and go step by step.

Over the time, new expansions, skins, dressing rooms, open world mmo with fog of war...Monetize the game an who knows what else to keep it alive and bring cash to master

Blizzard is not just capable of making warcraft 4 in a row. They would fail, its too much huge bite for them.

So the most logicl steps is like i said... Just port wc3 for beginin...tnx

Level 1
The only thing we players need was can reconnet to disconnected game and can change keybinds on Game UI. It seems we will never get these features. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.