• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

✅ Texturing Contest #32 - POLL

Vote for the top 3 skins!

• Vinz

Votes: 36 38.3%
  • Shido

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Footman16

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • PrinceYaser

Votes: 36 38.3%
  • Moy

Votes: 38 40.4%
  • Draktar

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • aeman

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • Darkfang

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • TheZodiarch

Votes: 29 30.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
hive-logo-small-remoosed-png.373032

texturing-png.373691

contest-png.373719
png.373678
3-png.373675
2-png.373676

poll-png.373718

finalform-png.439376

Contestants were to re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into its elite counterpart. You are encouraged to check out the list of entries below before casting your vote!

other_entries-png.311509

CONTESTANTWRAP / UN-WRAPENTRY

Vinz

3.png

Shido

9.png

Footman16

5.png

PrinceYaser

1.png

Moy

8.png

Draktar

4.png

aeman

6.png

Darkfang

2.png

TheZodiarch

7.png

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Trying to manipulate the poll in any form is not allowed.
  • Multiple votes are allowed (3 votes in total)
    If you're aware of ip-sharing with any voter, for any reason, you should contact the staff.
  • Harassment towards others to influence the result will lead to punishment.
    A neutral recommendation to take part at the poll isn't problematic, though.
  • Voting for yourself is not allowed, and will lead to a malus by 5%.
  • Participating in the poll does not explicitly safe one from being disqualified.
  • Judges may not vote.
  • Voters cannot change their votes.
You are very welcome to make a short statement what you like the most, so contestants get a bit of public feedback!

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 750 experience points
  • 2nd place: 600 experience points
  • 3rd place: 450 experience points
  • Entry: 150 experience points
  • Judge: 25 experience points per entrant
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

• @PROXY
  • If no judges are found, the winner will be decided by the votes of a public poll. At least two judges are required.
  • Want to be a judge? Read this.
  • Remember that judges may not cast their vote in the poll.

other_contest_judging-png.311506

When casting your vote, please take the following criteria into consideration before casting your vote.

ShadingDoes the unit fit into the WCIII lighting environment? Is the source of light consistent? Does the unit have a realistic 3D shape enhanced by the shading? Is each individual part shaded according to the material?35

Concept
Does the design of the unit suit the model it is wrapped on? Has the author come up with creative ways to change parts of the model into something new? Does the unit fit into the style of WCIII?30

Details
Does the unit appear blurry and bland in-game? Are the details appropriate and realistically placed? Are the materials in use easily recognized?35

FinalScore = (40*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (60*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The poll shall begin on September 11, 2023 and conclude on September 25, 2023 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: @Archian

Contest | Results

Last edited:
Level 32
Yes, by increase in participation or as I would call: 2 months in work contest. 99% my time was on vacation and lemme tell you, it's a best vacation worth scratching my back.

We could have not go for time extension but I understand everyone else situation wasn't great so I don't mind extension after agreeing deadline or cutting short of it. Still, I'm proud all of you for finish your entry and participation (yes, including you mr. shade).

So yes, voting system is now hidden for someone cannot just jump on the train although what if someone just screenshot the vote and leak around. I'm not gotta think about much but if one covered hole overhere then another hole will pop overthere. Still, i'm pleased that votes no longer publicly.

I still have a fair criticism about the allowance of 1024 ratio texture but I will save for the result. I will say however I think of the only time 1024 would make such sense is when they are buildings. I gotta do more research about the logic of it.

Last edited:
My only suggestion for the wrapped/unwrapped preview would be to show the models from different angles, as a face on angle doesn't always show all the details. Ideally people would take an indepth view of the texture using the View in 3D feature but we all know that not everyone has time for that.

Otherwise I'm really glad to see such a diverse field, with some names I'm not familiar with. I also think the range of entries is also quite interesting. No matter the results, everyone should be proud of the work they have created.

Level 16
My only suggestion for the wrapped/unwrapped preview would be to show the models from different angles, as a face on angle doesn't always show all the details. Ideally people would take an indepth view of the texture using the View in 3D feature but we all know that not everyone has time for that.

Otherwise I'm really glad to see such a diverse field, with some names I'm not familiar with. I also think the range of entries is also quite interesting. No matter the results, everyone should be proud of the work they have created.
I quite agree, more angles would be useful.
Very nice work, everyone.

This is the most time I have encountered a contestant.Each contestant's work is excellent. In my opinion, the ranking is as follows:

1.PrinceYaser(10/10)I can't think of any suitable vocabulary for him except perfection.

2.Vinz(9.5/10)There is no doubt about the quality of the texture. Very impressive. But it has too much metal.

3.Shido(8.5/10)Although it looks very ordinary. However, the usage rate of this model for the author is very high. The modification is also very exquisite.

4.Moy(8/10)There has always been no suitable alternative model for Shade. This reminds me of Reformed Shade.

5.Draktar(8/10)He's really cool.His image is also closer to Nerubian.

6.Footman16(7.5/10)I think it is the model that best meets the requirements of the competition.Unfortunately, the quality of the texture needs to be improved.

7.TheZodiarch(6/10)Not meeting the requirements of the competition.But the quality level is also very high.

8.aeman(6/10)A great idea. But the only outstanding feature is the upper body. I really like this head.But his overall appearance looks very ugly. If there were some adjustments to the lower body, it might be better.His weapons are also very unsuitable for him. You should not use this color overall.

9.Darkfang(3/10)Her shoulders may be her only good spot. Why should everything be painted blue. Especially the skin. I don't think she's as good as the original version.

This is the most time I have encountered a contestant.Each contestant's work is excellent. In my opinion, the ranking is as follows:

1.PrinceYaser(10/10)I can't think of any suitable vocabulary for him except perfection.

2.Vinz(9.5/10)There is no doubt about the quality of the texture. Very impressive. But it has too much metal.

3.Shido(8.5/10)Although it looks very ordinary. However, the usage rate of this model for the author is very high. The modification is also very exquisite.

4.Moy(8/10)There has always been no suitable alternative model for Shade. This reminds me of Reformed Shade.

5.Draktar(8/10)He's really cool.His image is also closer to Nerubian.

6.Footman16(7.5/10)I think it is the model that best meets the requirements of the competition.Unfortunately, the quality of the texture needs to be improved.

7.TheZodiarch(6/10)Not meeting the requirements of the competition.But the quality level is also very high.

8.aeman(6/10)A great idea. But the only outstanding feature is the upper body. I really like this head.But his overall appearance looks very ugly. If there were some adjustments to the lower body, it might be better.His weapons are also very unsuitable for him. You should not use this color overall.

9.Darkfang(3/10)Her shoulders may be her only good spot. Why should everything be painted blue. Especially the skin. I don't think she's as good as the original version.

Ahmm, ok, thanks, what a piece of constructive criticism.

And I was being completely sarcastic.

Last edited:
I looooooove that assassin. It's super hard to do convincing one-color skins, but this turned out awesome.

Yeah, IDK I'm making a colored version regardless, it was supposed to be one color because you know, Avatar of Vengeance thematic.
Gonna fix the arms and make the tattoos glow a little more in golden
1694719524744.png

with golden looks more like a void elf

to be fair I don't really care that much for wow lore after Cataclysm, I think they ruined the world afterwards, bah, I think they ruined a lot of it in Burning Crusade killing Illidan, Kael and Lady Vash'j all at once.

Some thoughts.

• Avenging Assassin
Could use more variety in hue and saturation, like its Avatar counterpart has. Flowing cape ends are interesting. Starry cape is a good direction, but it could be more visible.

• Corpsegrinder
A lot of parts competing for attention. Needs more shading and visual focus to reduce the clutter. TC area could be more meaningful. Colors could have been more varied. Beige wrappings are under-utilized. Wheel blades are exquisite, but not thematic.

• Empire's Guard
Captures the WC3 style the most. Stellar TC implementation. Does very well with parts that are not in focus.

• Evolved Faceless One
Needs a wider color and exposure range, especially shading. Yellow areas could be mistaken for TC. The TC itself is interesting, but too subtle.

• Grand Magus Medivh
Texture is clear and easy to read. The Kirin Tor symbol might be more suited for the back. Faithful to the concept art, although the cape cloth could use some folds.

• Orcish Avenger Ship
The ship is cozy and the colors are bolder, but the metal needs more shine to help it stand out from a distance. The highlight of the texture is the sail. I wish the model allowed it to be TC.

• Primalist
Decent contrast between the flesh and the stone skin. Gems as antlers are great. TC is nice at the side, but rough at the front. Stone parts could use more coherent lighting.

• Terror
Texture is very clean. TC is lovely and fitting, although it could be more intense to help out some of the weaker colors. I like how the central body glistens.

• Warbreaker
Vibrant, almost at the cost of color cohesion. Fancily drawn otherwise. Shoulder TC logo could be more defined.

Last edited:
  • Grand Magus Medivh
Texture is clear and easy to read. The Kirin Tor symbol might be more suited for the back. Faithful to the concept art, although the neck plate could have been a good candidate for TC.
Thanks for the feedback you're inspiring me to maybe write some of my own thoughts if I have time!

I thought about the symbol but decided it looked cooler the idea that if he pulled his Cape round the complete logo would be formed at the front.
Sadly medivh has no TC so it would require modelling to do that.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
We are still looking for one more judge. Note that if we don't find one before Sunday, the results will be decided by the votes of the poll.

In case of a tie I suppose the two will share the 2nd place i.e. 4 people will get an award. 1x 1st place, 2x 2nd place, 1x 3rd place.

Or perhaps if the contestants are okay with it, then perhaps we can have @PROXY decide as the contest judge which one of the two tied entries should receive 2nd or 3rd place?

Level 11
We are still looking for one more judge. Note that if we don't find one before Sunday, the results will be decided by the votes of the poll.

In case of a tie I suppose the two will share the 2nd place i.e. 4 people will get an award. 1x 1st place, 2x 2nd place, 1x 3rd place.

Or perhaps if the contestants are okay with it, then perhaps we can have @PROXY decide as the contest judge which one of the two tied entries should receive 2nd or 3rd place?
I'll gladly take the third :D

Level 32
Everyone entries this time is close by frankly not if would be a bit awkward not to give the spidey the 3rd place.

I gather myself a bunch of problem which I will discuss it when we think of TC #33. For now given that Judge situation is struck with no one else other than PROXY.

You are down with either scenario;

The Results is decided by Poll #Monopoly

Or

Archian himself fill in the 2nd seat, given PROXY is already here and you are planning for Judge Rank (which i told him take it with a grain of salt). The reason I would recommend Archie in all sake was that he is familar with this field, for one time he can at least give PROXY a chance to judge so we know the fact popularity sometimes can not save you :xxd:.

We will discuss about judge problem when planning next theme so cmon, go out with a bang can help.

Edit: We could wait for a half a month for you 2nd judge, because i would much rather lose a score just for the sake of the judges still here to tell me the place I can improved with constructive criticism, at the end of the day it's like having a heavyweight fighting to a lightweight, i know i may never touch the 3rd place seat and continue value my only award :thumbs_up: . That's how I value the judge because they choose to sacrifice a seat of competitive to give us judgement on our creation. For now, if you can't, let's grab our hand and going forward.

Last edited:
Level 51
I can be a judge, but I have many things on my plate, so expect some delays for detailed feedback.

However, note that I did vote. But I can still be objective.

But I put the question to you folks. Would you have me as a judge for this one? Together with @PROXY
I'll have you anytime :)

Level 32
I can be a judge, but I have many things on my plate, so expect some delays for detailed feedback.

But I put the question to you folks. Would you have me as a judge for this one? Together with @PROXY
DEW IT, WE could wait til like 3 months after the poll. I..... have been there before.

Me suggesting Archian as a judge is not that I gotta force him to do on any other contest aside the one he know what he doin.

Side note: I need to give some prop to PROXY, he is also the half spirit of this contest that because of him we resume the long time Texturing Contest. Same thing to the previous partner, Frostwhisper for judging our entries and not mistaken a dragon to a lizzy. :xxd:

Delays are not an issue for me. The contest isn't going to run away. 😂 I'm all for having you. :)

I don't mind Archian serving as a judge, but I'd like to hear the agreement of the other contestants first especially those at the top since they risk the most by allowing judging to influence the results.
I think it's important that their self-interest doesn't factor into this.

Personally - one judge, two judges, anything is fine with me. Would love to have you both. @Archian & @PROXY

I think it's important that their self-interest doesn't factor into this.
I know and I agree, I just mean that it would suck if you were 1st/2nd in the poll and then you end up 2nd last, 3rd last etc just because everyone else wanted judges.