• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WreckCove Harbor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
So, here is some screenshots of what I am currently working on, its a small scale map made to present how the human race builds its villages and how they are in general in Dawn of Life (a fantasy story I am writing(Look it up in the screenwriting section if you want to know more))

This is the first part of the map, WreckCove Harobor, basically it is a place where many human boats have crashed into the reefs and steep cliffs of this jagged sea-line, and those who survive these crashes have come to build a village and now they've built a lighthouse to make sure no one else smash their ships on the horrid reef infested shoreline. This harbor is also a forewards base against one of the many operation of the humans main enemies; The Goths.

I'm looking for advice on how to imrpove this seadog village, and I do hope that you like what I've made so far :)

I also want to give a special shout out to Red Shift and _Ogre_ for their awesome models and skins, without them this terrain could not have been done. ^^

Attachments

• Harbor 1.jpg
    Harbor 1.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 299
  • Harbor 2.jpg
    Harbor 2.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 239
  • Harbor 3.jpg
    Harbor 3.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 236
  • Harbor 4.jpg
    Harbor 4.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 230
  • Harbor 5.jpg
    Harbor 5.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 271
  • Harbor 6.jpg
    Harbor 6.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 188
  • Harbor 7.jpg
    Harbor 7.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 187
  • Harbor 8.jpg
    Harbor 8.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Level 36
Picture three, that sewer or whatever thing seems to be hovering a bit. Oh and I really love this terrain! Great job with model skins!

Thanks, that was correct.

I did a minor update, removed the rain for conveneints sake, to make it easier to view the terrain :p But take heart, if this map ever reached "release" state, the rain will be implemented for gameplay visual effects. Also did a minor tinting update, and sank that hatch into the ground, not to mention that I added three more views of the harbor.

And Doom, I wont remove it, but I will see if I can tint it to make it less green, I didn't notice that before like... Now.

Level 6
Hard to make any suggestions here, the terrain is almost perfect!
One thing I dont like that much is the green light, but I think someone alread mentioned it, I wont replace it but tint it down a bit.
What I miss are some living things like birds and a few dimmed light-sources, but really a few (too many would ruin the creepy atmosphere).
Hm maybe add a few more bushes or ferns....

Level 36
Updated it, worked with the lighting, replaced the green glow with a little more subtle orange glow and a campfire, I've also added a little more nature, like ferns and grass. I also worked a little on the placing of some wooden supporters on some of the fences and scaffolds.

Thank you all for your advices.

Level 23
I can just say: Great work on the atmosphere and also the harbor itself.

But the destroyed ship models ruin that picure a bit. One solution maybe. you could try to create your own destroyed ships out of planks. I do know that is tons of work. But since those models do not have the rest of the pics quality it might be worth it!

the transition from normal tiles towards red shift's tiles is terrible, i would hide that a bit better. the rocks are a bit stretched to the extreme.
i'm not really seeing the great coastline where the ships wreck constantly, seems more like a natural harbour to me. you may want to expand it a bit further, to show that a bit better, using some jagged rocks and all that in the sea. kinda weird location for a lighthouse, they're usually on peninsulas or well located spots, this one seems to be kind of badly placed - especially since the rock outcrops seem to be going further out of that bay.

Level 36
the transition from normal tiles towards red shift's tiles is terrible, i would hide that a bit better. the rocks are a bit stretched to the extreme.
i'm not really seeing the great coastline where the ships wreck constantly, seems more like a natural harbour to me. you may want to expand it a bit further, to show that a bit better, using some jagged rocks and all that in the sea. kinda weird location for a lighthouse, they're usually on peninsulas or well located spots, this one seems to be kind of badly placed - especially since the rock outcrops seem to be going further out of that bay.

Of course it is a personal thing, but the tile transition isnt horrible, it just doesn't look as good as the transition between red's ones. And you wont really notice the stretched rocks unless you get up close and personal, though yes there are some spots I will have to hide better. Also, I dont see how you can say that you think it looks like a normal harbor when the sealine is next to not visible in the terrain, and thats the point, its to show of the harbor and to get advices on THAT :p

About the lighthouse, its not meant to be very natural, and I like its position, so nothing will be done about that. In any case, I might consider using the foam model from Ogre's map to make the water seem a bit wilder.

Anyways, thanks for the advices.

Status
Not open for further replies.