• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Plains of Sand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Well..here's my latest terrain,
plainsofsand.jpg
what can i say, i like desert-like landscapes
the things i tried with this terrain is test lighting/shadows and to give it a feel of depth/size,dont really think i did very well on the later...
any suggestions/cc are very welcomed

Update:
plainsofsand23.jpg

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
It's nice but where did you get those nice rocks that you used on the left and right?
Look closely, those are simply the high res rocks we all treasure dearly. Also, some of them are from XGM, if I'm not mistaken. Beautiful formations indeed, looks almost realistic. However, those background mountains almost resemble pillars which isn't really natural. Lighting is done quite well, I like how you mixed gray-ish tones with a sparkling sun. I only wish you wouldn't make the sun so vertical, if you catch my drift.

Level 11
@Maker you're probably right,ill see what can i do
@AlterEgo ...as Oziris said,or imagine theres a road on the other side of it
@Oziris the texture is the same practically,the only thing i did to the texture was to change the colors hue and the luminosity,cuz the tinting in the editor was giving me a damn headache,and i couldnt make the rocks the color i wanted
@fladdermasken vertical??didnt catch the drift xD
@indomitable1319 well the reason why only the rock formation in the foreground is made with those rocks is that it was made last,i began with the background,and wanted something smoother in front of the camera thats why i used the higher res ones

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
The light source should appear more circular than elliptical as far as I'm concerned. Yours almost has the shape of a vertical ellipse, if you don't mind me saying. What I meant with pillars is that they're almost linear, and nature is never perfectly geometrical.

Last edited:
Level 14
The only thing this lacks is a true focal point of the picture, which is completely irrelevant as it's THAT awesome. The only problem I see so far is a few glitches in the sky; the farthest left portion of the sky cuts rapidly into a darker shade of blue. That being said, the sky is supposed to darken as it gets farther from the sun, but not so rapidly.

My second issue is the IMMENSE sun, it seriously is just too massive!! I suggest making it quite a lot smaller, this may also help with the dilema of the vertical sun problem.
As a secondary you could try to rather than spamming glows, which we've all done before, you could create a small sun, with sun flare for slight rays then place over it some much larger yet more diluted glows around the sun. It should create a more realistic sun, though, other than the sun itself your lighting is fantastic.

*EDIT* I forgot to say you should probably lower the suns position in the sky to better reflect the shadow lengths.

Level 7
Nice work there. I like it because it seems more like and art, than terrain. You have also made good work with those rock hills, cause they seem like it could realy be in reallife also, rock placement is good and i dont see no gaps or empty spaces what would look bad.

Besides what other have already said, i think you should add somekind of life or atleast a marks of it. When i look this picture it make me feel so empty and i dont like it. Maybe an altar in ruins? or somekind desert animals, birds or reptiles.

Anyway pic is well done a have a +rep

Level 11
well i wanted to make it have an empty feeling,but the idea of adding "marks of it"(life) like a trace of an animal seems very interesting,thinking of making like a trace in the sand,dont know if i can pull it of,but ill see

@Azurot: thx for the suggestion,ill see how it would come up

Level 11
ending of the world??where?i dont see it
i tought about the shadows,but didnt like how it looked with the shadows bigger

Level 19
ending of the world??where?i dont see it
i tought about the shadows,but didnt like how it looked with the shadows bigger

I can't see it either. I can imagine the thing with shadows. Wc3, sucks at shadows :p Anyway, when I looked at it again I scouted the edge of the skybox to the right. Might want to take a pic from a slightly different angle to fix it.

Level 36
I can see what OffGraphic is referring to, even if it is a small matter.
(Uploading a pic with a red circle of where /I/ see a "end of the world.)

- Thing is, that part of your terrain could've been a little more smooth, adding some more layers of mountains always helps, either thin out the fog, or add some mountains in front of the old ones, smaller ones, I'd reccomend. Oh and I just have to ask, when was the last time you saw yellow fog in real life?

Also, this is a very fine terrain, yet I feel it is lacking something. A real center of focus, like when I open your terrain, I dont feel like I know where to look, and the middle of the terrain seem very empty. If I were you, I'd add something to break of the naturalizm of the terrain a little bit, maybe an oasis, or some ruin, a bandit camp? Something to give the terrain this extra edge.

As a last pointer I'd like to say that I'm not a big fan of the large shadows on the grass in the middle of the map, but I guess that is the editors fault, and seeing as you wanted shadows behind those mountains, that just happens to come along with the effect, alas.

Overall, though, a very nice terrain.
- I'd say.

Attachments

• Point.jpg
    Point.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 121
Level 11
in fact the rocks are edited,but as flad said, just a slight texture color change

about the shadows,if you look at the picture now you can see that the edge of the shadows casted by the pillars on the right is quite smooth,if i try to veer the shadows off to the right,as to reflect the light source exactly, the edge of the shadow will become very jagged

Level 3
omg! how did you make this?????????
this is unbelievable... !
amazing terraining man, really BEAUTIFUL!

Level 3
Great terrain, looks beatiful except the sky. I think that you should use another sky (I like Fogged the most). The end of the world looks bad too.
Otherwise, great piece of work! You'll get rep for this!
~Apocalyptic

Status
Not open for further replies.