• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Programming Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
There are already a jass and terrain class atm, but not very active...is it possible to have programing classes?, but only basics...language like C++, java, python etc...
I know that there are tutorials outside this site and in YT but I really prefer here, maybe this is a new start for THW as teaching people how to implement those languages?...

Lol wut? First, we have JASS Class, a few month ago we also has Terrain Class, and now Programming Class? What's next?

Are we making a school here?

Okay, seriously, I do know many people here like coding, but, is learning Java and such is a bit out from Modding? [besides making 3rd party mod, that is]

P.S : Mag gonna like this.

This is a wc3 (and SCII) modding site, not a programming site... so let's keep it like that... :)
Isn't JASS programming/coding?

Lol, the classes are not getting too much attention so if another class will be established it will be not attended too.
Maybe, but we have to make the website more active first.

Even contests here doesn't have too much attention these days, this is is not possible this thread should be closed now...
Warcraft 3 contests doesn't have that much attention. But we aren't limited to warcraft 3 aren't we ? Starcraft 2 contests would make the starcraft 2 part more active i guess.

Let's go back to the topic. Imo, why not ? But it's not possible yet, as we don't even have a Programmation subforum (which could be useful), the one being the closest to this being Game Development.
So, imo we should create a Programmation subforum in the Development category. Then if that subforum is active, we could maybe have a class there.

Level 13
Isn't JASS programming/coding?
yes but it is in WC3

Maybe, but we have to make the website more active first.
i agree

Let's go back to the topic. Imo, why not ? But it's not possible yet, as we don't even have a Programmation subforum (which could be useful), the one being the closest to this being Game Development.
So, imo we should create a Programmation subforum in the Development category. Then if that subforum is active, we could maybe have a class there.
well, who is going be the teacher then?
Guys, if any of you are willing to create a programming class, go ahead. I will not permit Mag to do it because he is still (technically) teaching the JASS class.
he is still teaching the JASS class, if someone willing to create a programming class.. Ralle has given permission.. it's up to someone who willing to create a programming class

Level 20
Yeah sure I have tried downloading ebooks on Programming, but sometimes it's just a little better to experience the teaching from someone that has read through them already and will only teach the summarized things... but I guess I could wait more.

Almia, can you give me the names of the two .pdf books you have?

I wouldn't use LearnCPP if I were you. It makes no mention of smart pointers, even in the C++11 introduction at the end. Consequently, it encourages allowing raw pointers to own memory, which makes C++ code much more prone to human error and it makes the programmer responsible for abiding by things such as the Rule of 3 and the Rule of 5. I follow Rule of 0. If you can't or don't, you're likely doing something wrong.

However, a lot of the other stuff is mostly sound on LearnCPP. You can use CPPReference for brief information and documentation on a lot of C++ functions and classes. It's the best and most accurate reference for C++ around, seriously.

Level 21
I wouldn't use LearnCPP if I were you. It makes no mention of smart pointers, even in the C++11 introduction at the end. Consequently, it encourages allowing raw pointers to own memory, which makes C++ code much more prone to human error and it makes the programmer responsible for abiding by things such as the Rule of 3 and the Rule of 5. I follow Rule of 0. If you can't or don't, you're likely doing something wrong.

However, a lot of the other stuff is mostly sound on LearnCPP. You can use CPPReference for brief information and documentation on a lot of C++ functions and classes. It's the best and most accurate reference for C++ around, seriously.

I think I just saw something like smart pointers. Although it wasn't under that name.

There is nothing wrong with using standard C pointers as long as you know what you are doing.

Of course~
On large scale projects, that is, hundreds of source files and tens to hundreds of thousands or even millions of lines of code, you'd want to use smart pointers to manage memory though.
This way, you can cut down on user defined copy constructors and user defined move constructors and all that shit because a lot of your classes wouldn't need to have them anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.