• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mercenaries: A River of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
MERCENARIES
A River Of Blood

Story
Deep within the wild and unexplored jungles of Stranglethorn Vale,two factions are fighting for dominance.

The honorable Horde and the proud Alliance have waged war over these lands for many days and nights,and now,they are willing to sacrifice their most valuable treasures in order to bring an end to this conflict.

Both Horde and Alliance have decided to call upon the might of the legendary mercenary Heroes that inhabit these parts,always searching for a good battle.

mercenariezrl3.jpg

About the Map:
Mercenaries: A River of Blood is a 5v5 160x160 arena-styled map focused on both PvE(Player versus Environment) and PvP(Player versus Player).
The goal is to defeat the opposing team by leading one out of 100 available mercenary Heroes.Various game modes affect the goal of the game.
Gameplay is also greatly affected by Hero,item and spell selection.
Levels can be gained by creeping around the map.Creeps are inhabiting the map in large numbers,and are respawning constantly,so there is no chance that youll run out of targets.
pic2hs1.jpg

Heroes:
When the game starts,players will choose their Heroes.Heroes don't have a predetermined side.They are mercenaries,and will join the faction that hires them first,so both sides choose from the same taverns.The Hero choice you make is very important,because your Hero is one of the rare units you will be able to control.Each Hero has unique abilities and attributes.Heroes are also arranged in taverns by this order:

Tavern of Mind(Intelligence)
Tavern of Grace(Agility)
Tavern of Might(Strenght)

pic3di7.jpg

Spells:
Spells are made either in JASS or GUI.I have avoided regular wc3 spells because i want to make the map as interesting as possible.The map also uses a lot of icon imports,although i am avoiding efx imports in order to reduce lags and decrease loading time.
pic6cb2.jpg

Items:
Items greatly affect the efficiency of your Heroes in both PvP and PvE.You can acquire items from vendors and by killing bosses.You can find vendors in your faction's base and in goblin encampments placed on the map.There are two bosses on the map,and they mostly drop one-use items like Potion of Agility(+30 Agility for 60 seconds.)

There are 3 item types that will be used:

-Permanent Items: Swords,Armor,Gems,Orbs and all other items that give permanent bonuses,both made with recipes or otherwise.

-One-use Items: Explosives,Traps,Concealment Items,Wards,Food,Drink etc.

-Summoning Scrolls: Can be used to summon various magical creatures for a set amount of time.A couple of scrolls are necessary for ranged Heroes in early game,in order to make them more efficient while creeping.(Send a summon in and bash them from a distance.)
pic5rd2.jpg

Bosses,Events and Game Modes:
As mentioned before,there are two Bosses on the map.Both of them are very powerful and hard to kill,and are meant only for high level heroes.By killing a Boss,you receive extra gold,a variety charged items and a lot of experience.When killed,a Boss will respawn after 5 minutes with extra life and damage,and he will grant more xp and gold upon death.

Also,various runes such as Trick or Treat Rune(50% chance to turn the Hero into a random critter,50% chance to give a damage boost),Double Damage,Triple Damage,Invulnerability Rune,Speed Rune,Experience Rune(Increases XP gain rate) etc. will randomly spawn across the map.Goblin Merchants have the "Gamble" option that is very expensive,but also gives you a chance of winning some nice items.Also i am implementing unique sprees with corresponding sounds.

As for the Game Modes,i am planning to implement much more than just this after the BETA is released.

-Normal Mode

The Goal is to destroy the enemy Altar.When the Altar is destroyed,the enemy Heroes will not revive when killed.Once all the Heroes die,you win.However,there are units guarding the Altar,which prevents the late-game nukers from completely owning in the first two minutes of the game.

-Capture The Flag

Kill the Flag Carrier,then take away his Flag and bring it to your base.

-Deathmatch

Your team wins as soon as it gets a total of X kills.

-Wealth Mode

Your team wins as soon as it accumulates X gold.This is fun,because you need to decide whether you are to spend your money for items,or try to achieve fast victory and risk total loss from the enemy that invested in their stats.

wc3scrnshot032508124024lx4.jpg

pic8du8.jpg

Well,that's it for now.I will post information as the map progresses.Currently the project is about 50% complete,and there are still more things to do before the BETA is released.

Last edited:
Level 12
@UchihaSasuke - it should take a couple of weeks untill i release the BETA,unless something comes up.

@Zack1996 - yeah,i like it much more than the old name :)

Level 12
Triggered,or made in JASS :)

Out of the 50 spells that ive done by now,maybe 5 are edited versions of the original wc3 spells.

Level 12
Well,im not really sure,but it's very possible.

But i will change it as soon as i get the updated map,because Anachron is working on the terrains now.It's no biggie.I can easily find a nice replacement for it.

Ill update the screenshot and the map soon.Thanks for bringing this up to me.

The spirit healer is ripped from WOW, that's obvious. The void walker thing is also ripped, and there are probably more.

You're going to have to get rid of them if you want your map to stay here. If you're not sure it's ripped, go check the polycount (or the number of faces). WoW models have considerably more polies than WC3 models.

Level 12
The Void Walker isn't ripped(you can download it from the Hive).

And no,there aren't any more ripped models,because those are the only model imports the map has so far.

I will remove the Spirit Healer if it's a WoW model.I can easily replace it.Expect an update in the next few days(as i said,the map is being terrained by Anachron at the moment,so I'm waiting for him to send it to me)

Level 8
It looks nice, but that model near antonidas looks like a WoW one. Was it ripped from WoW? If so, sorry, but we don't support it. =( (6th Picture)

I can awnser that,
Yes, that is a WoW model, thought its said its highly unsupported,
theres quite a few maps that actually use that angel model, seeing how its became somewhat acceptable.
-Calvin

Level 12
Im working on it as much as possible.I haven't been very active on the project for the past two weeks though,but Ill get a small vacation soon and ill probably release the Beta within this month.

Level 12
ive got some bad news.4 hours ago,i broke 3 fingers on my left hand,so even though im right handed,i wont be able to do much till the bones heal.i can use my mouse and type with my right hand but im afraid that takes too long,so ill only be doing the terrains,as soon as the god damn pain stops.

luckily,there are some people on the team,so the project wont come to a complete halt.its just thst itll take a bit longer.

Level 12
Thanks for all your support.Being that i haven't had the opportunity to update this forum for the past few days,many people seem to have lost interest in this project,so i am really thankful to those who still check in to see how this thing goes.

By the way,4 new Heroes are done.I'll add more about that later.

And yeah,i'm looking for someone who has free time to make items(just the items,not recipes)for the project development team.It's an easy task,so if anyone is interested,let me know.

Level 12
Allright,here you go,i will post more info as soon as i finish some things :p

Baal,Soul Flayer

Naisha Starfang,Moon Warrior

Mag Bearmaul,Beastmaster

Medivh,Prophet

Level 12
Well,he is just a demon-thing,named by the great demonlord by the terrified villagers he pillaged/by himself/by someone else

I dunno yet.The storywriter is on a vacation,and it's not easy to come up with cool stories in a short period :)

Level 2
Map looks nice! Looking forward to being able to play it.
Will you be using lots of custom models? Or not that many at all?

Level 12
Zack,thanks,but stories aren't so critical right now..The storywriter will return way before i release the alpha,and i have a lot of work to do in the meantime :)

bobbuttons,i will avoid using custom models,and the ones that are used all have less than 50kb.It'll reduce map loading time and lags.

Level 12
Hmm,i cant really know the specific date sorry.I've added a new Hero,but now i'll have to pause a bit till Anachron is free to help me import some scripts.

Level 12
Sorry guys,i ran out of internet and due to the fact that i have to study a lot(school ends in 2 weeks),i couldn't get the time to pay for the next month.I am still working on the map,only i can't devote much time to it till school ends.

Level 12
*blushes*

I wouldn't normally give two craps about school,but since ive done absolutely nothing about it since the year began,i have to study a bit to get some good grades or its :thumbs_down: for me(ill get the boot).

Level 12
6 more Heroes are done. About 20 new items, and i implemented a hidden treasure event.

Terraining is tiresome. I'm currently looking for a skilled terrainer that can help me out. Ill post more info soon before the release.

Level 12
I could use a good storywriter for some of the heroes.
Hero builds and ideas, I'd like to hear them as well. Send me a PM if you're still interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.