• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hostile Territory, the Ultimate Shooter for Wc3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Sounds good GT.

Will there be an acheivment mode, or a mode when more kills or somthing gives you upgrades or special attributes or somthing?

Level 13
Ah I see, and can you buy guns this way too? Or will you just pick up all guns from around the map? And what about grenades or other equipment, like bodyarmour? Can they be bought too? That is, if there will be bodyarmour...

Level 8
OK I've read the whole thread, couple days ago, but maybe I missed something. I tried testing the map and I encountered a serious malfunction!

I picked hostility mode, gang up yes, and then it went to "Winning Kills?" and ... that was it. I couldn't type, couldn't do anything, and no instructions on what to do.

Also, I know its been said, but I don't get the grenade system. I want to see my grenades go boom! And atm grenades look like they're just shooting straight out, instead of being lobbed or thrown. Also... I'm sure you know this, but might want to add a death animation to the marines. Oh and last but not least, in zombie mode survival my knife stopped working after like two uses. Is this normal? I didn't read anything about this on its description or anything.

OK so sorry had to say the more negative criticism first, but the map does look good. I like all the modes, does a lot for re-playability. Plus I like that you can just keep playing and picking new modes after the current game is over, rather then having to restart the game and re-host etc. Oh and lots of great attention to detail, I can see you've put effort into this map. Tiles and doodads all look good for a shooter. Your system is also pretty cool. With just movement keys and using QWERT or w/e it was.

I'm not a big fan of stuck camera though, I don't feel free or in control, at least for a warcraft 3 map, but that's beyond the point. This is a shooter and lots of wc3 maps have an unmovable camera.

Good
+ Lots of detail, adds the sense of immersion and realism.
+ Good icons, marine models and descriptions.
+ Tons of different modes and multiple maps, very, very cool. I like this a lot.

Bad
- Bugs I mentioned.
- Grenade system, but you already know this.
- I know I know it's so totally beta! but I really want to shoot someone ><.

@nickel150:
1. Only Survival works.
2. Grenade system sucks, I've just improved it, at the cost of a crappier bounce system. Don't even use the Smoke Grenade.
3. Marines will have a death anim in multi-player games, but in single-player, when you die, EVERYONE dies(coz its single-player), so it instantly removes the Marine, which removes the Death anim.
4. I've encountered that Knife problem too, and it also stopped for the Grenade ability... must be some kinda code scramble. I'll get it fixed.

Good:
1. Thanks, I try to aim for that.
2. Thank you, I'm adding some weapon descriptions too.
3. As they say in Australia, we love diversity ;]

Bad:
1. Agreed/explained
2. I hate it as well, and I couldn't find any good ones on the Hive.
3. It's actually alpha;
Pre-alpha - not playable at all
Alpha - just playable, but with many bugs, and is due to large changes
Beta - playable, but usually stills has some bugs and needs tweaks
Final - self-explanatory

Overall, thanks for your feedback, +rep.

Level 7
Man, this project sure is progressing fast...testing 2.0e now

Found some problems:
1. The map name in-game is Hostile Territory v1.0a instead of 2.0e
2. After i throw a grenade, i can't use the knife to slash
3. Ammunition shop doesn't work when i press Q, same problem with trying to use the knife to slash after i throw a nade

Good news! I have FINALLY implemented a Shooting system. It is still a bit dodgy, but it works alright. I will update it soon to v0.3a.

@frostloh:
1. Honest mistake :p
2. Thank you, the ability was bugged. Fixed now.
3. On purpose. I haven't implemented yet. It will be similar to my GUI FSI.
Thank you for the comment, +rep.

EDIT: I've made major typos! It's v0.2e, sorry :J

Some detailed info;
In v0.3a, I will introduce 2 guns: The M9 Beretta and The M4 Carbine

M9 Beretta:
The M9 Beretta is a standard military-class pistol. It has medium range, reload time and damage. Perfect for any given situation.
Ingame stats:
Just a basic pistol. It is quite strong, so I think I will have to reduce the Ammo Cap(currently it does 25 damage and has 60 rounds, whereas the Carbine does 10 and has 100).

M4 Carbine:
The M4 Carbine is the primary weapon of the military. Its rapid automatic fire allows it to be very useful for quickly gunning down the enemy. The primary rifle and the epitome of guns.
Ingame stats:
The M4 Carbine has virtually no reload time, meaning you can fire 5 rounds in 1 second. It has large ammo capacity, but weak damage. And hell, they look sexier than those stupid wood-stock AK-47s.

Some gun previews:
The M16 Combat Rifle, a semi-automatic burst-fire rifle that is a hybrid of a Carbine and Sniper. It compensates for its slow reload with its three-bullet attack. It will be stronger than the M4, but weaker than the pistol.
The Shotgun. The most deadliest weapon in close combat without blowing yourself up(refer to RPG), the Shotgun packs a punch in short range. It sprays a barrage for each shot. It will have a stronger attack than the Pistol, but a slower reload rate than the M16.
The RPG, or Rocket-Propelled-Grenade, is the most common heavy weapons artillery on the field. Although cheap, by no means is the RPG weak. It fires a rocket that explodes upon contact, obliterating unlucky foes to be hit in the AoE. The strongest weapon available, in par with the Frag Grenade, but a clumsy one at that.

Level 8
Tested .v3a, here some things you may want to change:
1) It says, when selecting a map, "Take in other's consideration when choosing a map, or they might leave." IMO remove that message. Makes the second part of the text, about how to switch maps, a little harder to read. Also, its common sense and I don't want to be bothered with reading it. I'm either going to do what I want and to heck with the others or get a vote. That's just what I think though.
2) Is there currently more then one map in the game? Just wondering because I see multiple screens when selecting a map, but when I use the left and right arrow keys, it only goes to Warehouse. I'm guessing there's only one map atm and you're focusing on adding guns right? But if not that could be an error.
3) DUDE! THE MAP IS SICK!! Haha I posted the 2 above comments before actually playing the game, so I could as specific as possible. But anyways, the map is great dude. Shooting zombies is a blast! Also, grenades are fun! It takes a little bit to get used to, but after just a minute or two I was blasting away at zombies, though poorly, and havin' a gay old time.
4) I'm going to go host this in battlnet, I'll post more comments after with some feedback from my clannies hopefully!

GJ ghost! Its turning out better then I could have ever imagined.

Lol the difference between playing with guns and without them is night and day! I'm glad I played that first version, as it set my standards low. Now I'm stoked to play this with my clan. Post more later!

Edit: OK I played with a friend and here's the replay. Had some serious glitches by the sound of it. I had no problems, but he told me that A) He couldn't move, even using arrow keys. He moved at the very start, then I guess he couldn't move anymore. No idea if it was his fault or the maps, thats why I'm uploading the replay. Second, he was dced after we lost. So, I was going to re-do zombie mode but he was dced. Also, dude Zombie is mode is HARD and I did Novice. Probably just because it was 2 people when it should have been 5? But still, dang!

Attachments

• Hostile Territory.w3g
    6.1 KB · Views: 68
1. K, will do.
2. No, I made that system so later on, I could easily add more maps. And I want this map to act as a template for others to easily edit as well.
3. Thanks man!
4. Refer to below.
5. Multi-player is still untested (I don't play online). I think it might be the map, coz there is a shitload of triggers. But anyways, I'll show you a replay of me playing in Zombie Mode.
Hey, nickel, can you be my Multi-player tester? I mean just regularly post reports and shit? Coz I don't play online :p

Last edited:
Level 7
indomitable1319 said everything that needed to be said. If this map was in the maps section i would give it 4/5, but at this rate it might even deserve a 5/5 if it keeps improving. The movement system is hard to use, ( Example: my character fires at right when in tapping left ) , and gets stuck sometimes without obstacles blocking him. Turning is annoying as your soldier sometimes face a different direction after you release the arrow key. This makes it quite hard for me to aim properly at zombies, but no prob when we camping lol.

Level 8
Haha nice replay. Did a lot better then me XD. I see that one does need to move! Lol but you still wasted your 2 grenades ><

Sure dude I'll test it online. Unfortunately, my clan is a WoW Risk clan so they don't really like maps without huge epic armies etc so hopefully 2 or 3 people will be enough to be good for online testing.

I'll test it today after work one more time with somebody else to see if they get the same problem and report back.

Peace!

Level 8
Got some bad news...

Map seems to be pretty buggy in multiplayer unfortunately.

Just .3a so what can you expect? Thats what these tests are for dangit!

Alright so, replay is attached, might want to watch it from all 3 players camera, but I'll give you gist of it.

Me - Was on team 2, orange, had no gun. Switch weapon did nothing and I couldn't pick up a weapon either.

Red - He reported the same problem. Could move at first, then guy suddenly stopped moving and could no longer move. He said though, if memory serves, that he quit and was not autokicked. But he may have been, he wasn't really clear. Sorry for the bad info! Its kind of hard to get this second hand testing info when they're not really motivated like I am lol. Maybe the replay will tell you more!

Blue - After the first game, when we all died, blue was unable to select any modes after he did not select a map and the map was automatically chosen.

Hope this helped :) however it would be better if someone on here was actually WANTING to help me test, rather then being some random clannie I force to play with me, and then complaining the entire time. Ghost if you can get a second person to test online with me let me know! I'll contact them to try and set up a time to test. I can keep testing the way I am but I think it would be more effective if I had a willing testing buddy :).

Perhaps you could just log on and test it with me?

Anyways hope this helped!

Attachments

• Hostile Territory 2.w3g
    10 KB · Views: 56
Cool, I'd love it if you were my 2nd tester! Can you two organize some testing time? Btw, you don't have to do it often; I will be constantly updating the versions.
I've currently implemented the Ammo Shop. Next release will be v0.3d. Some changes include Grenade placement and the aforementioned Shop(though you currently won't be able to buy anything). I think I will make it open source by v0.5a, as I may need some help on the multi-player.

Level 7
Not my fault...seriously. The units have a minimum turn rate that affects the facing.
Don't worry, I've slowed down the zombies heaps (but they still have the same HP and attack).

Wc3c has a tutorial on how to make a unit face instantly here:
http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=105830

I mean it's just something you might want to look into. I'm unsure about side-effects. It's not very viable to use for a projectile system, but for unit turning if just every player has a single unit instant facing would be great.

Last edited:
Level 8
I don't mind testing it some time, I can't promise regular times but I'm desperate to get a multiplayer shooter worth playing on war3 so I'm more than happy to pitch in how I can =D

What time zone are you in? I live in the northwest, and it's 11:10PM at the time of this posting. I feel dumb but I can't remember what time zone that is...

PM me your email if you have messenger or aim, then we can do this much more easily, please.

Thanks for volunteering!

Level 8
REVIEW

Intro- So i realized nobody really did an in depth review of the map, and considering you work on this project a lot, Im going to give you a nice long review to read about my opinions, bugs ive found and more stuff. Hope you enjoy, anything i missed? Let me know!

Lets start!- This was a fun game to play, new and interesting map type ive never experienced before! I never got bored (although sometimes frustrated) and enjoyed killing those disgusting creatures that followed me! But found some bugs and had some experiences with some of the stuff that i thought was lacking. Terrain was great and different everywhere you went which is something i need while playing any map! Overall very fun and exciting map.

Terrain
- Terrain was fantastic!. Different everywhere you went, new textures rather than that old boring wc3 stuff i see all too often! And the tileset fit the scene perfectly! The boxes being stacked ontop of eachother, facing different ways definitely made me feel as if it was almost like a real warehouse, as well as the trucks being parked in different positions or the containers being different colours and placed in a somewhat orderly fasion was "human like" again giving the feeling of reality. But i was able to walk into trucks and boxes at some places (see images 'im hidden' and 'im hidden 2' below). Im surprised this hasn't been fixed completely?! Other than that, terrain was great.
>>>(See image 'good terrain' below)
>Love the tileset, fits perfectly and isnt something stupid like cityscape!
>Stacked containers are very well placed, and "believable".
>My character was high quality and looked good. Good animations too. (Perhaps you could animate him doing different actions for each thing that he does for example, throwing a grenade or picking up a gun? That would make him more realistic and create a more polished map in the end :D)
>Custom UI was great, and almost wrapped the whole look to the game!
>Mouse was good too ^^

Gameplay
- Here's where i was questioning. How do you get him to move without delay? or shoot in the direction you want? These problemes were handled pretty well. Only a slight delay of movement (I know you cant make it less because of the delay of the wc engine), i was expecting a major delay, good work! Pickup system i found buggy. I could pick up grenades easily, but when i walked over a gun i didn't pick it up. I tried using the 'action' spell and 'switch weapons' button but i couldn't pick it up (This might be because you havent implemented that gun into the game?). The ammo also somewhat confused me? When i entered the menu i had a difficult first time figuring it out, but maybe im just stupid lol.
>>>>Shooting (major topic)
Shooting. Shooting was my main worry. Sadly you cannot track the mouse in wc which really sucks, so i wasnt sure if it would work.
You shoot the way your facing, but in order to face that way, you need to move your character towards the direction. This was very disappointing! While running from zombies, i had to be either horizontal or vertical to them, then walk towards them to aim and shoot. >:| Definitively not the best system there is right? Maybe we could right click somewhere and our unit would turn wherever we just clicked? Something like that would be much better! and would increase my ratings. I would not use this current system when battling other online players. its just not easy to aim at all... (<-- the hard truth)

Triggers
- Game was locked :p But all triggers seemed bug free. Loved the grenade system. That was lots of fun!! The bullets worked well to.

Effects - Heres a topic i dont review much! For this game, i loved the graphics and effects, like the explosions of grenades! Everything seemed high quality. The blood splatters when you hit zombies were great (see image 'battle' below) ( i think ive seen those in the warcraft diablo 3 map). The blood going everywhere was very zombielike and disgusting! Gore is a great thing which is necessary in every great zombie map, take left 4 dead 2 or dead rising 2 for example ^^ The grenade explosions were custom and good quality (done by general frank right?). Im not sure if it happens automatically, but the objects around the explosion seemed to light up aswell! Something i havent noticed before, very cool! Plus the gore caused by the grenade was fun and made me want to yell out "HELL YEAH!". This was definitively one of the strong aspects of the game, i didn't really "like" the fog tho.
>>>>Fog

Fog is an addition needed for most maps. Your fog fit perfectly, not to dark, but not too light or dense. I only had one issue. I could see everything below and to the sides of me, but at the top i couldn't see any zombies comming?! (see image 'fog' below) As you can see, the top of my view was completely obstructed and i couldn't see any zombies come from above. I would slightly suggest you add some visibility above the character, without increasing visibility on the sides and bottom. If it isn't possible to do so without decreasing fog density, then dont worry about it! Its not that important (just a suggestion).

Edit: Fixed a lot of grammer mistakes... Also added ratings

My personal rating:
4.5/5
Everything was great and fun, other than the shooting, but shooting must have been a huge challenge for you :/ I Vote: Approved

Professional rating:
4/5
Great game, fun and entertaining, shooting is a bit hard but thats to be expected, and game had some bugs. Vote for: Rejected as it is not yet a completed map.

Attachments

• battle!!!.jpg
    battle!!!.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 77
  • im hidden 2!.jpg
    im hidden 2!.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 108
  • im hidden.jpg
    im hidden.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 67
  • fog.jpg
    fog.jpg