• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Spell Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hi there! I'm in need of a few spell ideas, about 55 to be exact.

The spells should be pretty straight forward, they are ment for a map where the players will fight a boss, and that's it. I will most likely add more bosses to the map later, but for now it's only one.

There will be 10 spells on each hero, but you can have only 5 of them at the same time. I will use spellbooks. No fully passive abilities allowed, but a passive ability that drains mana or health is fine. A hero will never be able to have 2 passives at once.

You may only learn abilities in a specific pattern, and all heroes will have 2 skilltrees. You can learn from one and then choose from the other, but to reach a ultimate, you'll need to put all your points in the same skilltree.

Active - Active - Passive/Active - Active - Ultimate

There will be 2 tanks, 3-4 damagedealers, and 2 or 3 healers, all controlled by players.

The heroes are:

Acolyte: Basically a priest-hero. Healer and damagedealer, but no dark spells.
Model: Apprentice Wizard/Emissary

Alchemist: Healer and damagedealer, uses potions and mixtures.
Model: Troll Witch Doctor

Archer: Damage only, a very straight forward concept, arrows and mobility.
Model: Night Elf Archer

Bone Magi: A necromancer, should be able to summon a skeleton warrior or mage depending on the skilltree chosen, but never both! Damage only.
Model: Necromancer

Knight: A skilled warrior of noble heritage, trained since an early age in the arts of combat. Can do damage, or be a tank.
Model: Footman

Myrmidon: A disciplined warrior that follows orders without question. Should be a steady hero that can also take a little punishment. Damage only.
Model: Draenei Stalker

Paladin: Holy warrior of holiness. Can tank or support, doing damage and healing or buffing others.
Model: Captain/High Elven Swordsman

Shaman: The link between our world and the spirit world. Healer and support.
Model: Shaman

Shieldmaiden: An agile female warrior. What she lacks in strength she makes up for with speed. Tank and damagedealer.
Model: Female Blood Elf Lieutenant

Slayer: Offensive melee unit, brute force should be the trademark. It's going to be able to do a lot of damage, but not constantly. Damage only.
Model: Grunt

Sorcerer: A magician that uses magic! Try to keep the spells to the elements fire, water and air. Healer and damagedealer.
Model: Draenei Seer

Last edited:
Level 8
Nice idea =) I have over 5 boss fight maps and they are all un-done xD

Oh well.. here we go.

Bone Magi:

-==Bone Magic==-
Bone Rush: Throws a cursed Bone at the target enemy unit dealing XX damage, the unit will miss its next attack.

Death Skull: A giant skull, striking the target enemy unit dealing XX damage and stuns for X.X second(s). There is a XX% chance that there will be thrown two Skulls.

Bone Shield: A bone shield will spawn, increasing armor by X but reduces attack damage by XX, every time a unit attacks the caster while Bone Shield is on, it will take XX damage. This effect lasts forever untill canceled.

Sacrifice: Cuts the Bone Magi's health by 50% but increases its attack damage by 75% and the "Bone Shield" spell will give bonus 5 armor.

Shadow Bone: Curses a Bone with a shadow curse, allowing it to damage the soul instead of the body, this deals damage equal to half of mana.

Just some ideas xD Hope they helped ... o_O

Rowboat Out!

Level 6
Even though I can't use all, and some would have to be modified a little, I'll probably use some of them :D

+Rep

Level 15
Acolyte:
DPS:

Wrathful Prayer - channels for up to 10 seconds, storing XX damage per second. after 10 seconds, all that damage will be dealt to the target, but 10% of it will be dealt to the Acolyte himself.

Saint Fury (passive) - each offensive spell has X% (low) chance to restore XX mana and refresh all CDs

Chastise - deals XX damage to the target and reduces its attack damage by 1%. Stacks for up to 5 times.

Holy Bolt - deals XXX damage to the target and heals all allies near the target for X hp.

Wrath of Gods (kinda ultimate) - meteors fall from the sky at random points in 100 radius around the Acolyte, dealing XXX damage and stunning the enemies. From each meteor fallen, an angel rises. Angel is very strong melee dps, but lasts only 7 seconds.

will think of more later and edit

some choice of abilities for ya =)
Acolyte
Healing:

(each spell will be a strong heal but will have a trade-off)

Hand of Light - stuns target for 5 seconds, healing XXX hp per second.

Surge of Light - heals target for XX and all enemies of the target in 300 radius for XXX.

Mending Grace - channeled. converts X mana points of the target into health each second. lasts 10 seconds. doesn't use Acolyte's mana.

Blessed by Light (passive) - gives a X% chance to cast a healing spell with no trage-off (like no stun, no heal to the enemy, no mana drain)

Martyr (Ultimate) - instantly heals all friendly heroes, wherever they are, for XX and resurrects the dead friendly heroes. Kills the Acolyte. Requires the Acolyte to be at 100% hp and at least 50% mana. Long cast, which can result in being damaged and wasting the whole effect, but Acolyte will still die.

Last edited:
Level 17
The Sorcerer
Fire

Pyroclastic Rush
Unleashes a torrent of smoke, ash and fire that rushes through the land and scorches any targets that stand in the way. Once the torrent passes a target, the target is left with the buff, "Burn" that deals damage over time. This spell is channeled for X seconds before casted.

Sunspire
A plume of fire rises from the earth and rises into the heavens, causing random explosions that deal XX damage to all units near the fire for XX seconds.

Phoenix Trail
Causes the hero to release a path of fire that follows the hero for XX seconds. When the effect ends, all enemies that walk into the trail are burned for XX damage.

Water
Glacial Spike
Summons a spike of ice that pierces the target for XXX damage and stuns it for XX seconds.

Icicle
Throws a spear of ice at a target that knocks it into a solid object (doodad, wall, tree, unit) and pins it to that object for XX seconds.

Celestial Bonding
Increases the effect or duration of spells during night time.

Air
Brush Off
Gives the hero a XX% chance to randomly knock back an enemy when attacked by it.

Thunderous Charge
Charges the hero at a target unit which damages the unit for XXX damage and unleashes a volley of lightning bolts in the surrounding area that damages all targets in the are for XX.

Lightning
Calls down a strike of lightning that damages a target for XXX damage.

Some of them are simple, others aren't. It is good to keep that balance. More will be added, of course.

Level 4
Alchemist
Create healing potions
Pretty self-explanatory :p
Armor Oil
Either Creates potions for tanks, or give extra armor as a buff
Special Concoction
Creates random effect on target, varying from things like -armor, dps, and -attack to things like healing the boss or adding more armor(these would be a little rarer), also the effectivity could vary.
Spellpower potion
adding to the effectiveness of a casters spells
Empower potion
Basically empowers the next potion made giving it a 2% chance of catastrophic failure, but if succesful empowers the potion greatly

and yes I know those are not that good, but I've only started mapping a short while ago and I wanted to make SOME effort

Level 6
Trillium
Except for the passive and the last one which is too flashy for the map I'm making IMO, it sounds good, but the Holy Bolt will probably be given to the paladin instead, as damage for acolytes shouldn't do any healing. The long cast will be very situational, and I think I'll add it as an ultimate, and make it do a tad more damage then all other spells (on top of doing more because of the long cast) and give it a big cooldown.

Wolfe Orscythe
The first and third fire spells sound good, but the second one I don't like, because I'm going to try and have very little randomness in the map for the player spells at least, so that you can rely on your spells to do what they're supposed to.
The water spells seemed kind of basic, and the only one I'd consider is the first one, but without the stun (for now at least)

I liked all the air spells. :D

Jokunen
Like I said earlier, randomness won't be a good thing in this map, so the random ones won't make it, sorry :p
But the healing potions, although not a very active spell, can serve as the alchemists healing passive, and the caster potion as the damage passive, and gives the alchemist a unique strategical use in the map.
The armor oil can be a ultimate in the healing skilltree, and serves as damage reduction. These 3 will work great :)

Oh and since I know that's what you're here for I'll give out some cookies :p

Last edited:
Level 4
Coming up with more :) Heres some for the Archer:
Archer
Swift Strikes
Gives the Archer X% of attack speed for Y amount of time (or you could make it drain mana).
Trueshot Aura (used, I know)
Gives all nearby ranged units X% of damage (optionally you can also increase range or attack speed).
Concentrate
The Archer concentrates on aiming well, increases range (or attack) for X amoint of time.
Volley
The Archer fires rapidly in the air, so the arrows fall down in the same area in rapid succession. AoE spell for X damage, channeled.
Imbued arrow
The Archer Imbues her arrow, so it does X amount of damage (pretty straight forward damage style ability :p, if given enough damage, can be used as a Ulti)
Rending arrow
Makes the target bleed for X amount of damage over Y amount of time.

And some for the Slayer

Slayer
Shadow Stalk
Like Wind Walk, but actually slows the Slayer down, as he creeps unnoticed. When hitting whilst stalking, gets surprise attack, which deals X amount of +damage.
Evasive Moves
The Slayer avoids incoming hits, giving him X% chance to evade hits for Y amount of time.
Great Blow
Deals X amount of damage (a lot) with a high cool down.
Back Stab
Deals X amount of damage (more than Great Blow), must be struck from behind the target.
Harmless Blow
Makes the Slayers attacks seem less threatening, so that his threat level is dropped.
Bladestorm
Instead of mana, it requires that you have used a certain amount of offensive abilites, once the spell is cast, you need to use the same amount of abilities again. Gives X% of attack speed for Y amount of time (might be used as an ulti, if given enough attack speed)

Last edited:
Level 6
My internet crashed when I had written a response last time, so I'll just do it short.

I wrote down some of the archer ideas, but none of the slayer ideas.
I had written it was the rogue of the map, but I ment that in therms of damage. Burst, but not as good DPS.

Fixed the OP to avoid confusing people.

Level 4
sry for not understanding the slayer properly :D, heres some for the
Shaman
Spirit Link
Creates a link between the target and you. If it is a friendly target you take X% of the incoming damage to him (something between 30 and 10) and if it is a enemy target XX% of the incoming damage to you (something like 30-50%)
Elemental Shield (not so good a name :D. Another idea is "Spirit Absorbtion")
Absorbs X amount of damage (for use in spirit link with tank for example).
Spirit Fury
Pretty straight forward, give X% of attackspeed/attackpower for Y amount of time.
Spirit Heal (another bad name :D)
Heals target for X amount of hp.
Spirit Precense
Gives nearby units X amount of HP regen (either used as an aura or active ability)

Level 6
Knight
Punishing Stance:For X seconds, immidiately attack any units attacking you.
Hold the Line: if the knight is under 75% health, he will heal X% health per second. if he is under 50%, he will heal X*2%/sec. under 25%: X*3%/sec. lasts forever until turned off, but while turned on, the knight cant move.
Defensive Kick: Small knockback and stun
Steely Resolve:(ultimate). while holding the line, all damage taken is deducted from mana instead. when mana is 0, damage is taken from HP like normal. The healing from hold the line is applied to mana, and multiplied with the number of ranks in Steely Resolve.
Slayer
Enrage:(innate)Increases damage dealt and taken by 50%%. lasts forever until turned off.
Flurry of Blows:Makes XXX normal melee attacks. For each that deals over average damage, make another. this keeps chaining until none of the attacks make over average damage. (note:average damage for this doesnt keep damage increases [like enrage] in mind, and that it counts eah unit affected if you have cleave for a seperate attack).
critical strike: like normal critical strike ability.
Cleave:Whenever you deal over a certain percentage of maximum damage with an attack, all foes in reach are affected. this too deosnt keep damage enhancers in mind.
Whirlwind Of Destruction:Whenever you make over average dmage on a melee attack, make another against tyhe same target. this works excactly like flurry of blows.

Shadowdance:

allows the hero to appear in the shadow of other unit, more range per lvl, passively when targeted by a negative spell every X seconds she will changue positions with any nearby unit so blocking the spell. low mana cost and cooldown.

Ancient Spirits: creates some locust spirit like protectors.

Spirits Hail: commands all your spirits to implode upon a target dealing AoE damage

Level 25
Got some ideas for the archer, might come up with more ideas :) (And i suck at names)

Multi shot: The archer take some time charging up the bow, then releasing 3 arrows launched forward in three different directions (might suck if there is only one boss at every fight and no adds :p )

Take Aim: Puts a buff on the target, if the target takes more than X damage over 5 seconds the archer gains an increased attack speed by X % over X seconds.

Agility: Increases the archers movement speed and attack speed by agility multiplied with X (for example if the archer got 50 agility, and you use multiplied with 2, will increase the attackspeed/movementspeed by 100 %)

Poison-drenced arrow: Shots a arrow drenched in a venomous liquid, dealing some initial damage. Slowing the targets attackspeed and movement speed by X % over X seconds. Also decreases armor by X of the target for X seconds.

Focus Fire (Ultimate): The archer takes a deep breath and focus. Gains the ability to deal double damage (X % chance) and increases attack speed by X % and increases attack damage by X amount. Lasts for X seconds.

Level 4
Slayer

Weapon Mastery:(
The Slayer are well-trained in the art of war, and know every target's critical spots.
Rename of hijax's crit strike ^^

Battle Shout:
The Slayer lets out a furious battle shout, inspiring his comerades to be more efficient in combat. Gives X more damage and Y more armour.

Trembling smash:
The Slayer uses his power to slam the weapon into the ground, shacking the earth in an X radius. Does Y damage and slows targets by Z%.

Severe Wound:
The Slayer damages the enemy on a spot that will bleed for a long time, thus dealing X damage every Y second for Z seconds.

Rage:
The Slayer becomes enraged, increasing his hp regeneration, damage, defence and attack speed.

Also have:

Archer

Quiver Frenzy:
Increases the Archers attack speed by X% for Y seconds.

Piercing Shot:
Using a special arrow that can cut through any armour the Archer do X damage to its target. This arrow will be able to cut through several targets.

Fiery Barrage:
Shoots several burning arrows after each other at the target location. If a unit gets hit by an arrow it will take X instant damage and Y damage over Z seconds.

Eagle Eye:
Gives the Archer X more attack range. In addition this spell will give a Y% chance to instantly kill a unit by headshot. Does not work on bosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.