• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Nerubian Race - Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awhile ago I decided that I'd like a third race in my map, something that would be very unconventional. This is what I got.

I am aware that my triggers are very basic and produce leaks, any help with this would be appreciated.

I am looking for general feedback, ability suggestions, etc.

Keep in mind that this is not complete and is balanced to be fighting my orcs and humans, not the vanilla humans that are in this demo map.

The general concept is numbers. You have no resources to gather, and there is no food cap on you. In a normal game you will start with the Queen and 4 harvesters, how you gain more mana is up to you.

At this time I am thinking about adding an explode ability to the Harvesters similar to Detonate.

Last edited:
Level 1
I always support new content being added but I think you should make new maps for the current one first.
Also when you release the next version you could make a map with and another without the new race for and feedback.

Level 3
I'm pretty sure that's the point. That's basically how ants, bees, and a lot of other insects do it. Why not make it like that for Nerubians?

Level 4
Well, I support adding the race, although the adding of extra maps should be done first to add replayability value.

Looking for a Nerubian Race ? How nice I am also thinking about one ...
You may want to check this, Kyrbi is one of the best guy with ideas I know of:
http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=100616

I wonder if you added my bomber spell in your project after all this time xD
I will see what this map holds.

EDIT EDIT EDIT

Ok .. this looks more a StarCtaft race then a Nerubian race. The gameplay is just too different there are no upgrades, no structures, no towers .. nothing.
If your queen dies -> you die.
If your workers die and you don't have mana -> you die
Also the extractor auto mana thing doesn't work.
This race is weak, and it's air unit are over powered.

I can also say, this is one of those cases with decent artwork, but no decent code at all.

here is my review =P

Thanks for the post.

The extractor auto cast doesn't work because it is invisible and I guess it's hard-coded for invisible units not to cast. I'm working on a trigger.

The race is meant to be weak in small numbers. You probably noticed there is no food cap or unit restriction, so you can potentially have hundreds of units. The idea is to overwhelm your enemy. In addition you have a major advantage in tech one because there is no way for orcs or humans to reveal until tech 2, so early game you don't have much to worry about.

What would you expect to see in terms of code?

Level 10
I've got some feedback on the nerubian race, it's too strong :con: i could harass most enemy bases while i made a huge army of dragoons before i whiped everything out.. i had so many dragoons that the tier 3 orc townhall died in less than 1 sec. You should either make the nerubians with invisibility weaker or remove invisibility from some more of them.

so early game you don't have much to worry about.
Unless your enemy makes a quick rush and kills your queen, which is visible.... Then you will have a fast and quick death ...
Also, what is the building "Hive" for ?
What would you expect to see in terms of code?
I would expect to see Nerubian heroes at least. Also, most of the abilities are simple minor changes to abilities that already exist. I expect to see some complex spells in vJass or some surprises, like you have in Tides of Darknes.

Not that this is related to the Seed race, but I've begun on the other race as well. This is the start of the Lost.

Attachments

• LostTest.JPG
    LostTest.JPG
    271.7 KB · Views: 761
The lore I came up with was this.

After Archimonde was destroyed the demon population left had a choice. They could retreat to the depths to never be heard from again, or they could pull together into some sort of coherent race. Being the apex of evil, they would be much more wicked than the undead ever were and rely solely on the darkest magic.

Level 6
my feedback on the Seed:
i like them. however, i agree with phoenix on that they are maybe a bit too alien, and they need a shinier code. i suggest you make some sorts of buildings, like hatcheries. maybe let the harvesters morph into the buildings, like they currently morph into the extractor. the hatchery could be something that produced eggs when fed with mana(same metod as the queen), and then it needed less mana.
you could also make the queen capable of feeding mana to the harvesters, then when they have a certain amount of mana they turn into a cocoon, which can morph into different heroes.

suggestions for heroes:
Broodlord:(remove the broodlord unit) a leader hero, becoming stronger when followed by lots of units. would have abilities that increase his power the more friendly units whithin range, maybe something that damages all friendly units within range by X, then heals him for X*amount of damaged units2. maybe something that kills a friendly unit and morph himself into a supe form.

Eggtender: supports the quuen in making armies. whenever the quuen gains mana, the eggtender's mana is increased by 50% of the mana the queen gained(eggtender has no other mana generation). she can lay fiend eggs(but nothing else). also have some support abilities that doesnt use mana, like making eggs hatch instantly, or 'twinning' eggs.

Level 22
those ideas are either to overpowered or to skinny like broodlord with a race that got a food cap beyond normal or the eggtender have unlimited mana if you buggs the queen out with mana restoring items still te eggtender suuucks but I like the ideas thought ...

Broodlord:(remove the broodlord unit) a leader hero, becoming stronger when followed by lots of units. would have abilities that increase his power the more friendly units whithin range, maybe something that damages all friendly units within range by X, then heals him for X*amount of damaged units2. maybe something that kills a friendly unit and morph himself into a supe form.
My project has a hero dwarf, the "Axe Dwarf". Mastering the offensive skills this hero has an ability called BloodBound. BloodBound increases the hero's attack by X per every dwarf unit nearby him in a range of Y. So, if there are 3 rifleman with the hero, the hero will have 3 * X bonus attack.
I remind you my project is open source, if you are interested in this ability, I can give it to you as long as you *cough*give credits*cough*.

Thanks for the reviews.

This is the new techtree, as you can see it's quite complete. The Building on the end with no counter is not decided yet.

I will most likely make the race use lumber, and the pool model makes sense as the depository for that lumber so that it can be turned into the goo. Still no food cap though. The queen will be the only unit capable of building structures, the Harvesters will only get the lumber and create more harvesters.

Also, I need some model editing done to those models, if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• Seed.JPG
    Seed.JPG
    294 KB · Views: 575
They won't use gold because it makes no sense for them to. They don't have an economy, they have a queen that gives orders. I decided to use lumber because it makes everything miles easier and it makes sense that a race originating from nature would convert existing resources rather than refine them as conventional races do.

The farm is there just to show there is no food requirement for the race.
That last building that has no counter yet has a attack animation, so it will most likely end up being a tower.

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/warcraftiiithefrozenthrone/mod/17927.html

Level 7
so the seed are based off nerubians but no nerubians?

because the way i invisioned the nerubian race would bw the opposite of this. The seed seem like a zerg ripoff, mainly because there strategy over overwhelming mimics the zerg strategy (one that has been used in various rts yet remains to be cliche), as well as the fact you used zerg models.

Nerubian (or the seed) as I pictured them would be a race of upgrades and special tactics. You build a spider and at first its terrible, but then you upgrade a tougher shell, some spikes, stronger jaws, and there you have a fully armed 8 legged juggernaut. I think the idea of 12 massive spiders customizably upgraded walking towards an unsuspecting orc base, ready to unleash all sorts of evolutionary evil, is much cooler then "lol i set my rally point to there base, unit spam!".

Level 6
I think the idea of 12 massive spiders customizably upgraded walking towards an unsuspecting orc base, ready to unleash all sorts of evolutionary evil, is much cooler then "lol i set my rally point to there base, unit spam!".

Well i think a helpless orc base surrounded on all sides by a neverending horde of giant insects sounds more cool than "lol, full upgrade, attack, rinse, repeat"

you see? its very easy to make somebody else's idea sound stupid if you put it in the right words. those two ideas i put are the exact same you posted.

Level 7
Well i think a helpless orc base surrounded on all sides by a neverending horde of giant insects sounds more cool than "lol, full upgrade, attack, rinse, repeat"

you see? its very easy to make somebody else's idea sound stupid if you put it in the right words. those two ideas i put are the exact same you posted.

I was making a cliche brain dead rts strategy that I find to take the point of microing your army out of the game seem stupid. I suggested an original alternative that also makes sense with the whole "spider evolutionary" theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.