• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Working on custom race, would like some tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello everyone. After playing this game for about 16 years finally decided to make my own custom race or two - for legacy, you know.
My current pitch in priority is the race centered around towers. Here are some ideas for features:
  • main building is a slowly flying fortress that is also a hero, possibly the only one for this race;
  • resource harvesters will be summoned by the main building, gold mining process will be through cursed gold mine-like structure and lumber will be harvested with specialized buildings, that will drain wood in certain radius;
  • all units will cost no food, their main objectives will be scouting, faring creeps and enemy harass with self-destruction and obstructing enemie's research via sabotage
  • the main power of the race, as I've said before, is in towers, that will cost food. They will be much sturdier than other races counterparts, will not only attack, but also use abilities to provoke attacks, cast spells etc. Perhaps the only way to fix damaged towers will be special "cleric" towers wih heal spells. Of course, each "simple" tower will have several upgrade routes, unlocked with new tiers
  • to build a certain type of tower you will need a special building that comes with its own builders and all needed upgrades
  • maybe it is a good idea to add special builders that will construct additional fortifications, like walls or barricades
I have a hard time figuring out a decent winning condition for this race. My best idea is give it an 'ultimate weapon", unlocked with tier 3 and many upgrades. Perhaps it could be a teleporting tower/unit with super stats or with a powerful global damage spell, probably apocalypse-related.
Anyway, what do you think? What should I add to make this race actually enjoyable to play as and against?

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Obviously, you can do whatever you want.

I know that sounds unhelpful but what I mean is that the current races do not have an "ultimate instant win" condition so you don't need to put that as a design requirement. In fact it in order to have a instant win you'd have to make it exceptionally weak until then which doesn't sound fun to me.

Instead, I think a unique race should have:
1. A unique way to spawn their buildings or train their units

And that's it. If the fundamentals are different it'll be different by nature, then you just tune unit numbers.

Level 2
Obviously, you can do whatever you want.

I know that sounds unhelpful but what I mean is that the current races do not have an "ultimate instant win" condition so you don't need to put that as a design requirement. In fact it in order to have a instant win you'd have to make it exceptionally weak until then which doesn't sound fun to me.

Instead, I think a unique race should have:
1. A unique way to spawn their buildings or train their units

And that's it. If the fundamentals are different it'll be different by nature, then you just tune unit numbers.
Thanks for the reply and advice. I really don't see having an overpowered unit/building/spell as a "must have" for designing a good custom race, but I think it is required for my idea specifially. Because my race will almost certainly lack an active offence element, opponent will be able to just ignore it and not attack until they capture 4-5 gold mines and finish game in one big swipe. I hope adding a threat of an "ultimate weapon" will add a sence of urgency and turn the game from boring resource hoarding and lazy tower building to intense siege

Status
Not open for further replies.