1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Campaign] Night Elf-Worgen Custom Race (Brainstorming)

Discussion in 'Idea Factory' started by GrevinGadal, Aug 12, 2018.

1. GrevinGadal

GrevinGadal

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi Everyone, I've been lurking about the Hive Workshop for years. I've loved the work of your assets creators and map makers and, now that I'm dipping my toes back into map creation, I decided to get a bit more interactive. Perhaps at some point I'll even be able to give something back.

For newcomers to this thread, welcome, and the current version of this techtree is here.

To the topic of this post:

I'm building a custom race, which is designed to represent an alliance of Night Elf and Worgen survivors of the Burning of Teldrassil. These survivors were cut off from Darnassus and its portals, but managed to make it to the roots of the tree and escape by ship. I'm trying to design the race to reflect the costs of the Burning and their nature as a ragtag band. This race is intended for use in a Campaign I've been writing ideas for, for a while.

I'd love to get others' thoughts on this.

So far the race features the following successfully or partially implemented features:
    • Gilnean Architecture: I'm presuming that many of the remaining Ancients were consumed by the fires and so the race uses majority Gilnean building designs. These draw on the excellent models of Ujimasa Hojo.
    • Human Construction and Gold/Lumber Collection: Thousands of Wisps sacrificed during the War of Thorns to hold back the attack. Because of this, I'm likely going to use a Night Elf peasant-like unit to show that this group of Night Elves cannot rely on their union with nature as much as they once did.
    • Enchantments: This is a new take on unit upgrades, and I've called them "enchantments" to distinguish them. Using the "Charge Gold and Lumber" ability I'm giving units the ability to upgrade on an individual, rather than unit-type, basis. This would not replace the "tiered" traditional weapon/armor/caster level upgrades but would displace most others. The intent is that enchantments are individual because of their potential to make units more unique than upgrades would, but not so much that they should simply be a separate unit.
    Example:
    I've given the Archer an enchantment that enables them to reduce their armor by 1 and gain a "Thorns" ability that effects only that unit. Other enchantments I considered for the Archer would be a choice of "arrow type" (Fire/Frost/Dark) that doesn't use mana, rather a cooldown so it only triggers on every second or third arrow. This maintains the Archer's role as a basic ranged unit, but tailors it to suit the player's preferences.

Features that I'm thinking about but haven't tested or implemented yet:
    • Worgen Curse: I'm thinking trying to link the Worgen curse to the day/night cycle. I'm not sure if the curse works this way in Warcraft lore, but I do like the thematic relation to traditional ideas of werewolves. The mechanical effect would be something like this:
    The "Predator", a basic melee Worgen unit, is effectively two units in one. During the day, it is a human-form melee fighter, but when night falls in game, it transforms into a wolf-form melee attacker. Each form has slightly different abilities.
    • Static Defence: This race would achieve static defense by granting individual buildings an attack (either an actual attack or an immolation-based one), either permanently or temporarily. It is inspired by the call down ability of Alarak in SC2. I'm not sure yet how mechanically to grant it. I've considered the following options:
    Option One:
    The race has a "Vengeful Spirit" unit that can go into friendly buildings to grant them an attack and can also be ejected.

Option Two:
    The race has a "Call Down" ability (I'm thinking of implementing it with a "hero" to create a button in that part of the screen, and then using triggers so that clicking on that hero immediate re-selects to a dummy unit, and force a UI key press on that ability's hotkey that actually casts the ability). The Call Down ability would have either a gold/lumber cost, likely if its permanent, or be a "rechargeable" ability with a mana cost if it's temporary.
    • Static Defence (Alternative): Another idea I liked was to make the race have "wild beasts" as a tertiary pseudo-resource. This would involve one of two mechanical options:
    Option One:
    The race builds "cage" buildings and then has to go out and find certain beasts that they can "tame" (probably an ability). Once the beast is tamed, it can be placed into a cage and the cage building turns into a "caged beast" with an attack like that of the beast that was placed inside.

Option Two:
    The race relocates animal dens (creep camps) by destroying the creep camp. The camp yields an item that builds a new "Den" structure and triggers manage creep respawns around the Den. The creeps would not be under the race's control, but whether they'd be friendly or hostile to all, I'm not sure.

Features that I haven't really developed at all but know I still need to:
    • Unit Ideas: Caster Units, Air Units, Siege Units, Ultimate Unit

Thank you, in advance, for any thoughts you have. I'd love to flesh this out some more.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  2. Trill

Trill

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Sounds interesting.
    Here's some ideas:

Regarding static defense, I like the vengeful spirit idea, but maybe without ejecting. Consider this: Wisps can no longer build, but can "possess" a building, probably entangling it with roots (Entangled Gold Mine buff model) and attacking with underground roots.
    In fact, considering the Burning provided quite a lot of Wisps - who are dead night elf souls - you could probably use Wisps as main caster units. Rename them Vengeful Wisps or Burning Wisps or Bitter Wisps. Unlike other factions they could consume just 1 Food and be rather expendable.
    Their abilities could be:
    Memory of Burning - immolation. Rather strong, but damages the Wisp itself.
    Wisp Wall - divine shield, but roots the Wisp in place.
    Force of Nature - they may lack the strength to grow into new Ancients, but they can still animate trees. Basically a very weak Force of Nature, creating just one Treant.
    Entangle Building - as described above.

Siege unit:
    Smoldering Protector - burnt and maddened Ancient Protector, who lost ability to properly root (as his roots were burnt off). Can root for a short time, gaining an aura that damages nearby buildings.

3. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    The werewolf thing should apply to all worgen units, making them more bestial (better at melee) at night and more human (better at magic and abilities) in the day. So worgen heroes would gain strength and lose intelligence at night and lose it/get it back in the day, worgen casters have slower mana regen but more health and damage at night, etc.

The wild beasts defense is intriguing, you should develop that.

This thread has some ideas for a refugee race.

4. GrevinGadal

GrevinGadal

Resources:
    Resources:
    I love this concept for the Wisp. Actually just the other day I was looking at models and found this model for an "evil wisp" by Em! At the time I didn't give it a second thought.

Based on your ideas, I'm currently thinking of something like:

Effigy

Effigy

Spirits of the first Kaldorei who lost their lives to the flames in the Burning of Teldrassil. They have become vengeful from the circumstances of their deaths. Now they linger on with the survivors of their people, bitterly determined to protect those who remain at any cost.
    • Basic Caster Unit
    • Trained at Tier 1 Combat Unit Production Building (Requires Combat Upgrade Building, which keeps it consistent with other static defense options)
    • Weak ranged attack
    • Has the following core spells:
    Entangle Building: Entangles a building you own, permanently giving the building an attack that strikes enemy units from below with roots. This ability uses up the Effigy.

Wrath of Nature: The effigy enters a tree, animating it into a treant for a short time. This ability uses up the Effigy.

Ancestral Ward: The effigy roots in place and channels a spell to support its allies. While channeling, it grants it grants nearby allies increased armor and imposes a movement speed penalty on enemy units.​
    • Has the following enchantment options, which grant an additional spell. Each unit may only have one:
    Tears of Fire: The effigy unleashes fiery damage on surrounding enemy units and itself.

Revival: The effigy enters a friendly unit, applying a beneficial buff. This ability uses up the Effigy.

I'm debating this one between a) Grants the target unit one charge of reincarnation, or b) Heal-Over-Time ability with an Area of Effect (perhaps also healing dead trees?)

What are your thoughts? It has a number of abilities that use up the unit, but that seems thematically appropriate.

5. GrevinGadal

GrevinGadal

Resources:
    Resources:
    That is certainly the direction I'm looking to go in. The race's basic melee unit is likely a worgen, the "Predator" that I mentioned. I'm just not sure what to do with his human form during the day. One of the things that got me excited about this race concept is that both Night Elves and Werewolves/Worgen share that thematic relationship to the moon and the time of day, which of course is mechanically represented in Warcraft 3.

I've experimented with some combination of triggers and the Druid of the Claw's transform ability to make this work. So far it encounters problems that I don't even understand. So I'm thinking that, instead, I'll use a trigger than picks all units of each worgen type at the right time of day and replaces them? I'm just thinking out loud here.

I love both the beasts idea and the "haunting" system that I mentioned. This campaign will call for more than one race, however, (or at least variations on this one) so in the end I'm definitely going to be developing this further. I have had some other thoughts on mechanics that draw on "creep manipulation" as well.

Feralism

Feralism

Units with the "Feral" ability have a random chance of changing to become neutral passive and running off into the wilds every ??? seconds. Once they have been in this state for a little while, they become neutral hostile (this grace period is mostly to avoid it just getting ganked by surrounding units). They can be reclaimed by Beast Tamers (easier if it was your unit to begin with, you must also have the food for it). Units with the "Feral" Ability will never go feral while a Beast Tamer is nearby.​

Also, thanks for that link, I'll have a look for sure.

6. Trill

Trill

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Regarding flying units, what about something like this:
    Air Treant (just kidding, I have no idea what name to give them)
    Seeking to escape fiery death, many nature spirits of Teldrassil took airborne forms. With their original roots destroyed they are now stuck in these aerial shapes and full of rage.
    Using this model.
    Cheap, rather weak and fragile, costs 2 food, melee attacks against air units, ranged against ground. Have modified Web that uses Entangling Roots model and can target ground units too (so it is sort of auto-cast melee Ensnare).
    Could also have an auto-cast self-buff that rapidly regenerates their health, to help them get into enemy fliers' melee range, but keeping them otherwise fragile.

7. GrevinGadal

GrevinGadal

Resources:
    Resources:
    I really like the concept driving the abilities there, a light attack flyer that grabs enemies and then just ganks them.

Thematically, I was doing some research on Teldrassil before the Burning (actually just flying around in WoW after chatting with that Bronze Dragon that sends you back in time) and realized that there was a Harpy Matriarchy in the boughs of the Tree, the Bloodfeather.

I imagine that the harpies would probably have escaped, given that they can fly. So they could join as flying units, if the Night Elves and Worgen encounter them in the campaign and they have some kind of shared interests to bring them together?

I could see Harpies being units that would try to entrap an enemy and then swarm all over them.

8. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Predator: Has Ensnare in daytime, replaced with Frenzy at night.

Casters:
    Night Elf Hamadryad: Has Entangle, Rejuvenation and Reforest (creates a small (4-5) amount of trees on grassy terrain or stumps).
    Worgen Warmage: Melee spellcaster. Has Howl of Terror, Devour Magic, and Bloodlust. Regenerates mana slower at night, gains increased health and damage.

If there's a model of a Night Elf riding a wolf/Worgen, that could come in handy for a combo unit, like a melee unit with an selfcasting ranged attack/ability.

Worgen/Night Elf Beastcaller: When created, is either a worgen or a night elf (different stats, same spells and function). Has Resistant Skin.
    * Can use the Tame Beast ability to control a target beast creep. Two captured beasts can use the Create Den ability on a building to allow that type of beast (e.g. wolf, bear, hawk, thunder lizard...) to be summoned from that building.
    * Word of the Wild: Targeted animal or animal-using unit (Knight, Gryphon Rider, Kodo Beast, Chimera, etc.) cannot move.

Ultimate unit: Choose a tamed creep and basically supercharge it, giving it magic and combat training. For example, wildkin with healing spells, thunder lizards with Stampede, teleporting bears with Cleave, etc.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  9. Trill

Trill

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    This gave me an idea for an ultimate unit.

Bloodfeather Matriarch
    7 food (!), very expensive in gold and lumber
    decently tough, but generally kinda weak for its cost
    ranged attack
    abilities:
    Entrapment - grounds, immobilizes, reduces defense.
    Flock to Me - summons 7 Bloodfeather Furies for 30 seconds; 60 second cooldown.

Furies are as weak as level 1 creeps, have no special abilities, melee attacks, and upon spawning automatically seek to attack an ensnared target.

10. GrevinGadal

GrevinGadal

Resources:
    Resources:
    I like it. Alternatively, it could also form the basis of a hero unit, perhaps.

I've been experimenting in the map editor, and I've managed to get the worgen day/night transformations to work smoothly. As is my custom, I was overthinking the process. Essentially, I now have one trigger that events at 1800 and gives all human-form Predators a "Chaos" ability that transforms them instantly into their worgen-form counterpart. A second trigger events at 0600 and gives them an ability that turns them back to human-forms.

I've also put in a trigger to handle moonstones. Thematically, these time-driven transformations are becoming a prominent theme, so I thought that giving the faction a mechanical option to impose at least a little control over the day-night cycle might be a good idea.

I know this isn't a triggers section in the forums, but I thought I'd mention how its implemented in case anyone is interested.

That might be the most terrifying phrase I've ever read.

11. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Search your feelings, you know it to be true!

Siege: Ballista

Melee siege: Worgen Lumberjack: Lumber-harvesting unit, can rip up a tree to serve as a battering ram for X hits, also gains Pulverize.

Detector: Worgen Tracker, has True Sight and Faerie Fire.

Night Elf Refugee: Automatically generated unit with no cost, can be garrisoned inside some Night Elf buildings to give them extra defenses. Demoralizes nearby night elf units when killed.

12. GrevinGadal

GrevinGadal

Resources:
    Resources:
    I like all of these ideas. The refugee idea I like a lot. It's not something I see as a standard tech-tree unit, but as something that would come into play in a mission.

The mission idea comes to me as:
    • The Survivors have put down an encampment as a place to gather and protect refugees.
    • The encampment is imperiled by something (perhaps this is first contact with another custom race) leading to the primary objective: to eliminate the threat to the encampment.
    • As the player is contending with this threat, refugees start arriving. Some head straight for the camp while others get lost in the wilderness and would need to be rescued.
    • Saving a certain number of refugees is an option objective, but is incentivised through a carrot-and-stick of granting buffs when refugees are rescued and debuffs when a certain number is killed.

13. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I like a *lot* what's going on in this thread; subscribing for later.

14. Mister_Haudrauf

Mister_Haudrauf

Model Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    I am suddenly thinking of a Lunar Cycle:
    Moon & Worgen transformation Cycle:
    Day 1: 25%
    Day 2: 50%
    Day 3: 75%
    Day 4: 100% (Full Moon, Worgen transformation will occure)
    Day 5: 75%
    Day 6: 50%
    Day 7: 25%
    Day 8: 0% (New Moon, Worgen transformation won't occure)

I don't know, if this is good for your project or not. But i think it is useful for Feral/Uncivilized Worgen Stories/Tales/Campaign's.

15. Trill

Trill

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    What about a caster using a Tauren model? Call it something like Penitent Druid.
    I've seen people really confused why Horde Druids would go along with killing of Malfurion and the Burning, so this could represent Horde Druids trying to atone and repair the damage.
    Not sure about the spells, it will depend on what you need. I guess a spell to regrow trees would be fitting both in terms of flavour and to alleviate the fact that you'll both chop trees old-fashioned way and convert them to treants.

16. GrevinGadal

GrevinGadal

Resources:
    Resources:
    Because my project is focused on being at RTS Campaign, I'm not sure how complex I want to make the day/night cycle. That said, I think this is an interest idea, perhaps for something like a werewolf map or a project focused on the story of the Worgen Curse in Gilneas itself.

I've actually wondered that, myself. One would think that Tauren Druids, who are part of the Cenarion Circle would never countenance a mission to kill Malfurion, which was the official objective, and would certain be disgusted by the Burning of Teldrassil. Perhaps later in the campaign, a group of tauren druids appear and join the survivors. Not that they are abandoning the Horde, per se, but they do feel an obligation to heal the wounds caused by the Burning.

An ability to heal trees would also thematically appropriate and mechanically useful. It feels like a very tauren attitude, to try and heal the land and the people at the same time.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  17. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    The moon effect map could be something like people making moon magic go haywire (Priestesses of Elune gone bad?) with those effects on the worgen, and the mission is to stop them.

Wisp Binding: Wisp is attached to the target Ancient, giving it stat bonuses. Like haunting, except... the opposite.

18. GrevinGadal

GrevinGadal

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thank you all so far for your ideas, I've made more progress in developing this faction in the past two days than I ever expected. I'll be posting up a more comprehensive list of what I've implemented and the inspirations when I'm back on my own PC later today.

I've started to move my attention to the question of Hero Design.

I have only basic concepts at the moment. However, so far I have a number of key objectives. These objectives are open to change, but they represent my current thinking:
    • Each hero should be reflective of a key aspect of the faction
    • Each race within the faction should be represented at least once
    The ideas I have so far are:

Venatre

• Venatre is one of the main two characters of the campaign, likely to be the first "point of view" hero. She is the leader of the group of survivors about whom the campaign will tell its story.
    • Mechanically she is a Melee Intelligence Hero (possibly not "true melee" but possibly the short range "pseudo melee" that is represented in huntresses and spell breakers). I haven't seen a Melee Intelligence Hero implemented and would appreciate input on what kind of mechanics would be appropriate. I am thinking of spells like Mana Shield and Blink to give her survivability.
    • Thematically, she is probably a part of the Sisterhood of Elune. In terms of lining up with faction theme, she would represent the Night Elf side of manipulating the Day/Night cycle.
    • One of her spells will be some kind of frost or water-based Area of Effect. I know this much at least because in the mission in which she escapes Teldrassil, I want one of her own abilities to be able to clear fires in her way. What else it does, I'm not sure. If she's a support hero, then probably some kind of heal or buff. If she's an offensive hero, then probably some kind of crowd control or damage.[/hidd

Gage

• Gage is the other leader of the survivors. He is a Gilnean Worgen.
    • Melee he is likely an Agility Hero, both Melee and Ranged. During the day, he adopts his ranged form, using either a blunderbuss or two small pistols (depending on what models I end up going with), and emphasises the use of technology. During the night, he turns into a melee worgen form and emphasises a more animalistic style.
    • Due to the transformation I am not sure how to handle his hero abilities. One option is to effective store his abilities and their levels in variables. For ease of design and a bit of thematic symmetry I would like to make his Human/Worgen abilities effectively mirror images of one another. So, for instance, his "Q" abilities in each form would be virtually identical, with only enough difference to fit being melee/ranged.

Ship Hero

• This one is probably one of the more radical concepts. I would like the ship that the Survivors escape on to be a hero unit, as it will likely play a role in several missions. Experience would represent the experience of the crew and its First Mate.
    • I have really no idea what kind of abilities i would give this hero, at the moment.

19. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I have so much more to say, but you're talking about Hero design which is one of my favorite things. Unfortunately I cannot speak at the length I am accustomed to (so much to do), but a few things:

- You are so incredibly on point re: "represent my current thinking". Good good good.
    - Don't forget Hero #4
    - The Goblin Tinker is a Melee Intelligence hero in the standard game, actually. He's also a great example of one; being INT usually means lacking STR (i.e. HP), but Melee means he's in the fray (i.e. needs HP). You'll notice that he's designed very carefully, in such a way as to 'enable' a Melee INT hero to function:
    - - Pocket Factory is a summon which provides a building & lots of bodies (to help distract & tank for him)
    - - Cluster Rockets has a short stun (allows him to maneuver a bit more around Stunned foes)
    - - Engineering Upgrade increases his movespeed & buffs all his other abilities (again, maneuvering)
    - - Robo-Goblin makes him Mechanical & buffs his STR & armor (truly "turning him into a tank" xD)
    I attempted to take many of the same considerations for my team's entry in the Wc3C.net Hero Contest #3 (the "Dark Apothecary"). So consider that when designing a Melee INT hero.
    - If you are designing to 'match' the standard melee game, a few considerations I've gleaned over the years:
    - - Make sure your Ultimates are ULTIMATE. I learned this the hard way. Granted this isn't some MOBA with world-ending stuff, but make sure the player feels excited to reach Level 6 & access that ability. Metamorphosis, Tornado, Mass Teleport, Inferno, Resurrection...
    - - Take note of the fact that the vast majority (over 75% (can't find my charts...)) of Heroes have at least one Direct Damage (DD) ability. It's very common, and though it may feel "too simple/easy", it's important. Wc3 is an RTS with RPG elements, not a full-on MOBA; the player isn't just controlling the Hero but an entire army & a base/economy to boot. So a super-complex hero can be problematic, and a DD ability is sort of a mental 'breath of fresh air', an ability the player can quickly read & grok & say "ah, OK, I know what this does & don't have to think about it, Next?".
    - - On that note, remember the power of simplicity. It can be tempting to stick all the coolest ideas into your custom faction (especially your first). Also, it can be tempting, having seen all the crazy creativity among modders of the last decade+, to be dissatisfied with simple spells & abilities & instead be tempted to cram crazy new concepts & abilities in there. But again let me implore you: "Keep It Simple, Stupid". "Easy to learn; difficult to master" is the Blizzard mantra.
    - - A painful point I feel obligated to warn you about in this 'wondrous' discipline of custom race/hero design... Buffs Don't Stack. However, as of 1.30 they totally do! There are some bugs but a whole world of design is opened up to us! : D
    - - Finally, I hate to tell you this but one thing you'll want to steer clear of is copying other (hero) abilities. You'll find that, aside from certain special exceptions (racial abilities like Shadowmeld, thematic abilities like Cannibalize, race-standard abilities like Backpack), there's not a single copied ability between the 4 standard factions. Even abilities that are similar (Web/Ensnare, Dispel Magic/Disenchant) often have some structural difference.
    So while you may indeed want abilities like Blink or Mana Shield, for example, I would advise you not to use them specifically.

Now for your Heroes themselves:
    - Remind me the different races in this faction? Night Elves & Worgen... Is that it? If so, are you (probably reasonably) going for 2 of each?
    - Also, while the Proper/Campaign Name is nice, what really matters for the design is the "Hero Name" or "Class Name". i.e. don't talk to me about Uther, tell me about the Paladin(s). : ) Much more in line with the kind of conversation you need to have to design them.
    - There's so much more to say about Theme/Form & Role/Function, but alas it's nearly 4am & I've got to wrap this up. Perhaps if you have time do a Google search of the Hive for my name & those phrases ("theme", "role", "form and/vs./slash function") & you'll find some stuff I've written about before. But anyway, I'll do what I can.
    (on that note)
    - [HERO 1]
    - - What's her Role/Function/Gameplay/Mechanical Identity? Does she support, does she tank, does she nuke, does she heal? Etc.
    - - Perhaps a "Vanguard"? Or a "Moon Guardian"? Or a "Lunar Disciple"?
    - - water/frost... Hm, tricky for Elune. I might almost go for moon/night-themed ability that can have the same effect; a sort of "Moonquell" or an "Elipse"? Something that sorta takes the "silence of the night" concept & turns it into a combat spell?
    Otherwise, I guess water fits slightly more than frost because the moon & tides, etc.
    - - Depending on how supportive she's supposed to be, I could see a passive 'attack-enhancer' that buffs/heals nearby friendly units for every attack she makes on an enemy (like "Valor" or somesuch). That's also survival-oriented.
    - - Perhaps rather than straight-up Blink, you could use a simple Blink-Strike (mobility/survival, but also offensive uses)
    - - Similarly, instead of Mana Shield, perhaps a souped up Elune's Grace (protection from Piercing & Spells) or Defend (same but toggled).
    - - - Do you have a model in mind?
    - [HERO 2]
    - - What's his Role/Function/Gameplay/Mechanical Identity (see above)?
    - - Perhaps a "Nightwalker", or a "Lupine Commander", or a "Wolf Lord" or a "Lord of the Pack" or a "Grand Werewolf" or...
    - - The whole morphing thing is really hard for me to weigh in on. So many options... I don't really know. I like an Ultimate, but then he doesn't get to morph til much later. Urgh.
    - [HERO 3]
    - - Yeah need some more to go on. But would personally love seeing a "Daelin Proudmoore-styled" Naval Captain style hero. Or a "Living Davy Jones" style hero. Lots of cool options.

~~~

So much more to say, but good luck!

20. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ideas for ship Hero spells (for a galleon-type ship):

Broadside (Active): Fires a volley of cannonballs on either side of the ship (+/- 90° of the ship's facing).

Man the Harpoons! (Active): Fires a volley of harpoons at the target area, stunning and damaging non-mechanical enemies in the AoE. Giant creatures are slowed after the stun ends.

Fighting Sail (Active, toggled): When active, ship loses its main attack but can now fire on the move and moves faster.

Crew (Passive improvements):
    * Carpenter: Passively regenerates health.
    * Bosun: Reduces cooldown rates for all abilities.
    * Sawbones: Units loaded in the ship slowly heal.
    * Chaplain: Increases mana regeneration.
    * Lookout: Gives True Sight and increases sight and attack range.
    * Quartermaster (Spellbook): Changes the cannons' ammunition (and the ship's attack type) to iron (Hero), grapeshot (Normal), alchemical (Magic), and heated iron (Siege).

Boarding Parties: Releases a flotilla of jollyboats towards a target enemy ship. Target ship is stunned and invulnerable while the jollyboats are within X range of the target (returned to normal if they move away or are all killed).

All Hands On Deck! (Active, drains mana): While active, increases the ship's damage, movement speed and attack speed.

Passenger Quarters: Increases the amount of units the ship can carry.

Clear the Bilge (Active, requires shallow water to cast): Summons a swarm of rats that instantly turn Neutral Passive and have Disease Cloud. Costs no mana.

De-barnacle (Channeling, requires shallow water to cast): Ship is immobile for X seconds and loses a small amount of health. Once done, ship is buffed to maximum speed for a long time.

Plunging Fire (Active): Targets an area on the map and bombards it with the ship's guns (infinite range on coastal maps, long range on large-scale maps). Damage, knockback, and number of projectiles depends on Strength and Intelligence.

Possible Mechanics:
    * Mana represents crew, and so abilities cost little to no mana, but the ship has little to no mana regeneration outside of harbors, and its speed decreases with mana.
    * If the ship is away from land for too long, it gets a Scurvy debuff, slowing it and making it lose mana until it gets to a harbor that can restore it.

-

Idea for the elf's water spell:
    Animate Water (Channeling): Creates a huge, floating, mobile sphere of water that can then be sacrificed by using an ability (except the last one):
    * Healing Rains: Heals all surrounding allied units.
    * Water Hammer: The sphere drops, causing AoE stun for all units directly below it.
    * Boil: Evaporates the sphere, causing a Cloud effect (on buildings and units) at its location.
    * Freeze: Freezes the sphere, dropping it to the ground and doing AoE damage.
    * Expand/Shrink: Increases/decreases the sphere's size (bear form), causing its other spells to have less effect (heal/duration/damage) but greater radius.

Worgen spells: Have every ranged spell correspond to a melee version where he jumps at the target and deals the same effect (bleed, stun...)