• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Template / Terrain] Locals Packs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Locals Pack

So finally the time has come to start making this. Everyone can suggest new models and skins. I also accept reskinned models to some degree, but only if there is no proper model that would fill the role.
All models are chosen depending on if they fill a role that previously had no models.
All models in the map will have the creator's name included to make it easier to credit the creator. Simply because it's tiring to look up dozens of models.

If I included one of your models that you don't want me to, then just send me a PM.

The current plan is that when this pack is released, then the models will be in a folder inside the warcraft3 directory. There will also be a map that shows all the model paths.

Syntax:
Local\Author\Resource.extension
Like this:
Local\Alpain\Mage.mdl

As you can see, this syntax requires mappers to know whose models they are using, so it's also easier to credit people.

List of models

Alpain
Chriz.
donut3.5
Ender
eubz
Forgotten_Warlord
Frankster
HammerFist132
HappyTauren
Jhonny Janbo
kaycei
Kitabatake
Kwaliti
levigeorge1617
Mike
Mister X
Pyritie
Sin'dorei300
Sunchips
The Weird Human
TLI-Inferno
UgoUgo
Ultimata
Uncle Fester
Weep
ZIR

+All models of the UTM 3.0

Lich King by Kwaliti.JPG

Wraith Lord by donut3.5.JPG

Infernal Titan by donut 3.5.JPG

Mage by Alpain.JPG

Skull Helmet by TLI-Inferno.JPG

Warrior Helmet by ZIR.JPG

Hero Pit Lord by levigeorge1617.JPG

Bloodelf Arcane Annihilator by Frankster.JPG

Shadow Assault by UgoUgo.JPG

Arcane Castle by Ultimata.JPG

Arcane Missile by Weep.JPG

Archery by Mike.JPG

Arrow Quiver by TLI-Inferno.JPG

Bloodelf Decimator by Frankster.JPG

Bloodelf Dragon Sword by Uncle Fester.JPG

Fire Blink by Pyritie.JPG

Holy Stone Missile by HammerFist132.JPG

Horseback Archer by kaycei.JPG

Mercenary by Kitabatake.JPG

Old elf by Mister X.JPG

Orb of Corruption by UgoUgo.JPG

Orb of Fire by UgoUgo.JPG

Orb of Venom by UgoUgo.JPG

Petal Ward by Chriz..JPG

Vulture Rider by Uncle Fester.JPG

Wooden Bow by Forgotten Warlord.JPG

Warlock Archer by eubz.JPG

Skull Shroud by Sunchips.JPG

Shadow Infernal by UgoUgo.JPG

Unit
Attachment
Effect
Missile

I am thinking of making a pack for all medieval locals that I use.
However, I understand that most people wouldn't bother to download it for just one map.

Thus, this idea.
How about making hive-packs?
Basically they would be zipped files that contain a folder with models and textures. Maybe something more.
The point? - If maps would use a unified locals pack, then the players would only ever need to download the pack once.

Of course this wouldn't work well for casual gamers, so I am thinking that this should be used in the larger maps, such as ORPGS.

Additionally, there could also be a map file to serve as the base for making maps with packs. There could either be a single map that contains every known pack or a separate map for each pack.

Why all this? It would allow the modders to make maps with even higher quality, reduce loading times for players and enhance the gameplay experience.

Last edited:
Level 21
Ofc you can but id not suggest it then it would use that skin on every map

I'm not thinking about changing the main archives at all. Anything that is changed would be in a new folder or archive that is specifically for that pack. This would even make it viable to create reskinned versions of the normal wc3 models, which usually takes too much space. When the skin paths are changed inside model then it wouldn't change the skins of normal models.

Last edited:
Level 21
What exactly is this?

Simply put, I am making a collection of models to be used as locals. I have a folder with the models/textures and a map that uses all of them. When I reach about 100 models or so I will publish the first version here.
The point? As stated above, if all players have this, then the maps can be smaller in size and yet have more content.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Simply put, I am making a collection of models to be used as locals. I have a folder with the models/textures and a map that uses all of them. When I reach about 100 models or so I will publish the first version here.
The point? As stated above, if all players have this, then the maps can be smaller in size and yet have more content.
A bit better, but still no explanation as to what "to be used as locals" means.

I'll caveat this post by saying 'I think I know what you're talking about; I've been using a modified War3xlocal.mpq for years for my modding as a quick & painless solution to hold as many custom resources as I want (if that's indeed what you are doing).' However, without doing that, I would have no idea (and I think others as well) what this does.

Assuming you want support, understanding is paramount. : )

Level 21
A bit better, but still no explanation as to what "to be used as locals" means.

I'll caveat this post by saying 'I think I know what you're talking about; I've been using a modified War3xlocal.mpq for years for my modding as a quick & painless solution to hold as many custom resources as I want (if that's indeed what you are doing).' However, without doing that, I would have no idea (and I think others as well) what this does.

Assuming you want support, understanding is paramount. : )

Alright. They are all stored in a folder inside the warcraft3 directory, so almost the same what you thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.