• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling contest 24: THEME DECISION

Vote for a theme that YOU (as a modeler) would participate in for MC 24

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26

A FAIR AND INTERESTING THEME

24-show-goes-carbon-neutral.jpg

And here we are again, trying to figure out a theme that everyone likes. So, same as last time, get to it guys!

I want you to post here and give me 3 model contest themes (in 1-2-3 order) that you would like to participate in.

You can suggest a theme that has been used before in a contest, you can suggest a theme from >HERE< or >HERE< or you can make up a new theme, whatever you can imagine.

I will ONLY be counting and considering posts and suggestions from MODELERS and/or PRIOR modeling contest participants.
My intention in this new method is to get more and better entries, it doesn't make sense for participants to be stuck with a shitty theme that was chosen by ... people who don't model.

I will post an example below.

Here are your top Nominations

AnaPyraSupaProxWandFrnkCockGrenARVermMassDioTirlEpsiM0rbeubzRetrDeo
Racecar1212
Musical Unit223233323
Diablo/DnD331111121
Steampunk1233
emoteaphor12111
Worker2322
Here are unpopular themes
AnaPyraSupaProxWandFrnkCockGrenARVermMassDioTirlEpsiM0rbeubzRetrDeo
attachment set13
ZOMBIE CANCER22
Wc3 Bruiser3
Western21
Civilian pack33
Orc1
Vehicular Manslaughter2
Creep Boss3
Rogues1
Scifi FX2
Tier-11

And now, a short promo for each of our 6 nominated themes

Racecar In this high speed, adrenaline infused theme contestants battle it out to create the most powerful engines, sleekest chassis and loudest exhaust on the track! Do you have what it takes to win the gold? Do you have a need for speed? Race to the finish for guts and glory.... and remember to do it in style.
Musical Unit Guitar, drums, harps, flutes? Choose your instrument.... of destruction! Do you got soul? rhythm? Then try your hand at making a musical unit. Whether you make bandmates for rockin arthas or a one-man-band; from wicked guitar shreds to the beat of a war drum. The choice is yours, and our celebrity panel of judges... are waiting.
Diablo/DnD Do you find yourself staying up into the wee hours of the morning, pouring over lore and increasing your wicked bastard sword of flames +5; Every roll of your dice or click of your mouse bringing you closer to defeating the Dungeon master Diablo? Then climb on board this theme and let your imagination run wild! Create a mighty warrior with wicked cool stats or a fearsome foe to defeat. Do you think you have what it takes to win this game? Only one thing is for sure though.... you wont have a girlfriend to worry about.
Steampunk Greetings from the world... OF TOMORROW!.... as seen by someone from the 1920's. Tic toc goes the clock, choose this theme before time runs out on your pocketwatch. Get geared up for cogs and sprockets, gold chains and lockets! Because its up to you to make the most complicated, convoluted, abomination of mechanical tophats the world has ever seen!
Emotaphor Yes, it's a word... well yeah I just made it up, but it works. This is an artsy-fartsy abstract theme if I've ever seen one. So don your berets and turtleneck sweaters, because for this theme, you have to give abstract concepts... form. Create a model that epitomizes an emotion. Like a jester of mirth, a warrior of vengeance, or a maiden of sorrow. :CAUTION: participation in this theme may lead to haughty, egotistical, artsty-fartsy behavior
Worker Unit Some people say a man is made outa mud, but a poor man is made out of muscle and blood. So get down and dirty and start building your empire from the ground up. Worker units are the foundation of your civilization, so if you want a great civilization, you better build some damn good workers. I guess you better whip a model out for this one. Because he's going to have to load 16 tons.

In Addition!

Regardless of the theme, the next modeling contest will be optionally paired, you can have 1 partner if you want. More options, more opportunity, hopefully make for more and better entries.

And for this next contest I will be introducing an entirely new reward system! In addition to the 1st-2nd-3rd-prizes, i am giving you all incentives to create high quality models.
IF your model has a proper custom texture, you automatically get +4 rep
IF your model has a proper custom mesh, you automatically get +4 rep
IF your model has proper custom animations, you get +1 rep for each (standard) animation, and +2 for bonus animations

To clarify.
"PROPER" will for the most part, be defined by the host (in this case, yours truly), But i'll be pretty lenient, as long as you made an effort. A stand animation on a building with no movement, wont count. But a custom flying or walking animation on a unit will. Same applies to textures and mesh. A solid color texture, or something made in ms paint, no. a primitive shape (cone or box) made in milkshape, no.
"BONUS" animations means any extra animation beyond what is clarified as "required", for example, a single stand animation is required, but "stand - 2" or "stand - 3" etc is a bonus animation.

Last edited:
Level 26
My 3 nominations are
1. Racecars
2. Musical units
3. Dnd/diablo theme

I think racecars could be a cool theme since we have that azeroth racing minigame already in wc3, people could make some really wacky racecars or bikes because im a motorhead and blahblah VROOMVROOM its cool so shut up.
I still think musical units are a badass theme, make a band to play with the ingame rockin arthas model, or something entirely newfangled, like pyra's daft tank, remember dat shit, shhhiiiiiiittt man.
ALSO dnd/diablo would be a great theme for this next contest simply because diablo 3 just came out and im sure you're all dry humping your computers playing it right now.

SO! go my children... LET THE DEBATE... BEGIN!

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
I'm kinda keen on the Diablo/DnD theme.

However, I'd call it "Non-Warcraft Fantasy."

Create a fantasy creature not present in the Warcraft universe or alternatively, reinterpret an existing creature in the style of a different fantasy universe.

For example,
Non-Warcraft creature: Lacuni Panther-People (from Diablo)
Warcraft creature, reimagined: Cave Troll (from LotR)

Level 26
We've had way too many mechanical themes lately. Almost nothing allows you to create an epic character, or anything organic at all. Go go go Emotaphor!

Silly, naive, small minded little debode....
my dear child....

the last mechanical theme we had was Modeling Contest 16: TANKS
that was over 2 years ago

The following themes were
air units, aberrations, water units, campaign screens, chess, mimic and 3 tier building.

The themes there that could even be vaguely considered "mechanical" are mimic (because an ORGANIC monster had to have an alternate inert form) and building (because it is INORGANIC). But even for building, you could have made a night elf tree or a zerg hive, which ARE technically organic.

But needless to say that none of these themes down to TANKS were even suggestively mechanical, let alone exclusively.

Level 49
Yup. That sounds good.

there ends your 'point'

My 'point' is that I just want to see a contest full of only organic models, with maybe 1 or 2 inorganic models, that's all. It's been too long since we've had some cool looking heroes in a contest.

mechanical =/= inorganic

I'm aware, sorry for not being clear. D:

Level 26
My 'point' is that I just want to see a contest full of only organic models, with maybe 1 or 2 inorganic models, that's all. It's been too long since we've had some cool looking heroes in a contest.

And the problem with that is that people just gemoerge onto wc3 models since even fewer people want to make an organic from scratch than are willing to make an inorganic from scratch. So would you rather have some interesting buildings or 8 footman geomerges?

Level 49
it really is the modellers' faults if they do not model organic stuff.

what you are asking for is have a sub-criteria that dictates that we must make organic stuff. that is not a theme. that would be, like i said, a sub-criteria

and that is an entirely separate discussion

I just want a theme that makes people go "oh, I should make an orc\centaur\goblin\dragonmanbear for this theme!" and not, "oh, I should make a living chest for this theme!" or "oh, I should make a robot for this theme!". That's all. Emotaphor is one such theme... I don't think emotions can be conveyed very well with machines or buildings, although it's entirely possible.

And the problem with that is that people just gemoerge onto wc3 models since even fewer people want to make an organic from scratch than are willing to make an inorganic from scratch. So would you rather have some interesting buildings or 8 footman geomerges?

If the geomerge is good, then by all means, I don't see why not! Frankster's geomerges are an example in which 'simple geomerges'(with scratch-made parts) can look much better than entirely scratch made models. And I would much, MUCH rather see good looking, in-game texture geomerges than some shitty robot that looks like it fits in Halo or Unreal Tournament rather than in Warcraft III. And you already know how I feel about models that don't fit the game.
Now, please, why are we arguing? I merely stated my opinion. There's no need to argue over every little thing I say.

Level 34
Dont try to pass off a stupid question as a joke. it just makes you look like an even bigger imbecile.

I have a quetion - what if i started working before the contest began, but the model still fits theme?
This is a serious question. I'm new here and i don't know about local contest rules.

Then people shouldn't be able to use warcraft model's mesh:0
This is a stupid joke.
Stop being such a retard, there is no need to complain about every single sentence in every single post.

Status
Not open for further replies.