• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Cinematic] WIP: Pharaoh_'s Intro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, this was supposed to be made for the Cinematic Contest #4, but I didn't finish it, so, I did not join at the end.

I have uploaded it in a video file.
  • Do not distribute the video beyond the Hiveworkshop's net boundaries.
  • Do not edit it for any reason.
This is just a WIP, a part of a longer cinematic, which has certain introduction info for a game I am going to release (?) [not sure if I'm going to work with World Editor or the new Starcraft Editor - it's up to where the general public will move to]. The full cinematic might be released within a maximum of 2 months.

Feel free to leave comments! Thanks for watching.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=kwqs9y

Note: Credits will be shown in the full version of the cinematic.
P.S. Sorry for the average quality of the video, once the cinematic is finished, I'll release the map itself for the best resolution.

Best of credits to Blizzard Entertainment: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/ or http://www.blizzard.com

Last edited:
Level 13
Well I though'd I'd give your cinematic a go, and comment on it, as I used to comment allot of cinematics in the good ol days.

I like the fact that you made an effort in recording the cinematic as an AVI cinematic, eventho as you mentioned yourself the quality is still a tad low.

As to your cinematic, I guess ill split it up in a couple of catogories.
I am not a too big fan of giving ratings or working with +'s and -'s for I am not intrested in those "universal measures".

Story and Narration
Your story is specifically interesting at the start, you give the viewer a tempting story to keep their eyes on your screen, as your movie progresses it starts to drag a bit, I am rather unsure if it's narration, the length in which you try to tell the viewer something, the images and flow of camera or perhaps a mixture of several of those, but try to pick up the pace a bit in certain areas.
As to narration, the tongue in which English is spoken is not fluently (which is not too bad) but the quality of the recordings as well as how to emotion is brought in your lines is something you have to be wary about, for those will have a big impact on how your story is being interpreted by the viewer

Camera motion and view
Your camera work is quite decent, I like the start, but again as you progress in your cinematics you camera works starts to get a bit drag-ish, eventho slow moving camera's are not an bad thing, try to place more angles, so you can show off your terrain a bit more, and bring more interaction for the viewer, make the viewer exciting with your camera flow and angles.
Additionally be very careful with letting the camera motion just in front or behind an object, sometimes you see the camera flow through an object(and even the ground) and as a cinematic artist, you'd want to avoid this as much as possible.

Terrain and Enviroment
Your starting terrain is good to say the least, specifically that part where you see a house near the shores on top of a rocky cliff, as well as your starting screen, impressive use of your terrain, fogs etc.
The parts of the forest I'd say is ok, perhaps a bit more variation here and there and some more detailing would be in place, but the part where she enters this dark plain, is the part I like the least, It feels like you rushed this part of the cinematic, specially terrain wise, you see the ends of the map (which is definitely something you'd want to avoid) as well as that most parts are quite empty.
The effect placed on the soil kinda hurts your eyes after a bit, and the ruins were done very poorly, it would have been nice to have seen broken statues, pilars corpses perhaps some archs, and more objects that would interact with your theme.

Other
The effects were ok.
I liked the walk animation, thats something allot of cinematic makers are struck with cause of the running models in warcraft3.
Some use of creative objects such as moons, suns etc are definitely a good thing, try to hang onto that.

I think that sums it about up, keep up the good work, and try to devote a bit more time into the later parts of your cinematic cause your cinematic has a very attractive intro, which is followed by an average rest of the movie.

Thank you, Hemlock. I honestly appreciate your input and I didn't expect to receive a full review by you!

I'd like to mention some stuff, not to state the opposite of yours, just some points I'd like to be clarified/pointed out.

Since I had given up with the cinematic contest, I imported stuff that were no longer following the theme, but, concerning the narration part, I do believe it's called narration. Apparently, even narrations are not indicated just by the voice, they are depicted through images, slow flow of camera (to follow the narration, which is kinda long in some parts), e.t.c. I wanted to add some emotional touch-up's via the images. The problem I came along with in most Wc3 cinematics (meaning, custom, not professional) is that they lack a feeling; they use everything that has to do with the story.

BUT! You need to know that these images may seem like images now, in the unfinished version, but, in the end, you will find out why they were shown in the first place. In the first image (it isn't shown clearly), a star falls and that lady makes a wish, which is not heard on purpose (in the end of the cinematic, it will be heard what the full wish was). The part with the house, caught up in flames, is another part of the story; that house belongs to the lady and a demon burnt both her father and the house. This is why she comes with the words "I cannot even name this nightmare". No, don't feel stupid for not realizing this or don't call me stupid, because I haven't finished it. I just placed parts that will be used in the rest stages.

My camera is not decent actually; it's kinda worse. A) I lack precise timing, so my filters are messy; the cameras are not directly forwarded and, before the other camera is applied, the filter returns to the alpha state. B) It meets some static events, where the camera should move more, but I work on my laptop and multiple testings will cause it to turn off.
sometimes you see the camera flow through an object(and even the ground) and as a cinematic artist, you'd want to avoid this as much as possible.
I know; the tree in the new dimension or the trees at the river. The second is kinda easy to change, but for the first one, it's a model's problem. Any ideas on how to fix it? Increasing the Distance to Target will ruin the result I want it to have, so, what those models lack next to those, which, even if the camera is too close to them, they do not change?

Forest is not very detailed, because I'd rather not use unrealistic models. I placed rocks, grass, trees, that's all what forest is and please, don't call mushrooms, cause I see them to often and I wonder: "These people can't realize that these models suck?"
as well as that most parts are quite empty.
"That world... was naked of love... despair... everywhere" & "These lands seem to be long fallen"
Apparently, this is what the total effect of the new dimension is supposed to be: nakes, barrens-type with a mixture of undead lands (but without the concept of the undead). To be honest, I really don't know what this place still is, but I've come up with the idea that it was Tristherion's den, and that, with increased concentration, he was able of realising that land, which he created in his own mind. Well, an additional story will be typed in the narration.
The effect placed on the soil kinda hurts your eyes after a bit
That was not the point, of course, but, I wanted to create a strange-appearing world, I wish those thingies had transparency! :D Maybe I'll change the texture of theirs.
it would have been nice to have seen broken statues, pilars corpses perhaps some archs
No good model for statue currently exists in the WC3 modding database. They are so unrealistic. Actually, I was thinking of adding statues, but not at this place (there will be an old temple somewhere, during the story, that will be one of the main parts of the cinematic and the place where a key in the story will be revealed, along with the inner strength this lady will be procured with. So, I still can't figure out what models to use as statues. I wish someone would do one for me :/
Corpses are no fun, I am not supposed to show a place full of havoc, I am supposed to show ruins. Dead bodies lying randomly will ruin the concept I'm trying to execute within this new dimension.

Thank you again for your comments, it was a refreshing thing and a good guide to follow, since I admired many stuff from your cinematic.
But, let me tell you my last comment: The friends of mine, who watched it, claim that the initial narration is less attractive than the following, because the rest cinematic is followed by more effects. Why do you think of the opposite? I mean, I placed the demon, the music changes to something more "stiff" and.. I don't know, let me know why you think so.

Level 13
The pleasure is mine to give you a review, for a movie thats made with effort is worthy a good review, hopefully making it even better.

As why I fancy your intro, must be partially caused by the fact that your starting ambiance, scene setting and happenings indicate what you can expect later on.
I doubt your narration becomes less interesting as it progresses but it starts to drag a bit, and perhaps it's because the lesser terrain use, ambiance and camera movements.
Story wise I'd say you might be explaining things a bit too thoroughly here and there, but that might be me.
Some things are good to highlight, but sometimes certain details are better left to the viewers imagination too, might be appealing for the viewer to have their own interpretation on certain things (as might be seen in one of my Cinematics Divinity at a certain point in the movie).

Story wise, I write novels in spare time, however I do little in them in movies (at least what I did, for I am more of an Eye-Candy Cinematographer), so you might not have the best shots with me as how to translate stories into a cinematic in the best possible manner.

I'd like to see how this cinematic progresses as you finish up your cinematics, but keep in mind, don't try to hush and rush things up, just cause you want to complete it.
It would be a waste compared to seeing what you made so far.

Keep up the good work.

I watched it and i must say, it's just amazing!
The terrain, the dialogue, the story, the voice acting, the effects, etc.
But there are small things you could still do:
-The boat rotation is really odd
-The camera sometimes went through the trees, the big ones
-The camera also went through the ground when the guide was performing the ritual
-The footstep sounds start too soon, they start before the woman starts to walk
-Also suddenly near the end, her voice become really "high" and then it became normal again
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But overall i really liked your cinematic and i look forward to the ending:)

Yer welcome, Pharaoh. =P
Your voice acting has so much life... that's why it differs from the other cinematics around here. You should finish it.

-The boat rotation is really odd
-The camera sometimes went through the trees, the big ones
-The camera also went through the ground when the guide was performing the ritual
-The footstep sounds start too soon, they start before the woman starts to walk
-Also suddenly near the end, her voice become really "high" and then it became normal again
When we have complaints as detailed as these, we are surely talking about high-quality stuff. :wink:

I'm gonna come up with some complaints too, then:

Warcraft animations hardly make it in cinematics. You should have custom animations to each situation. Like, peasant in despair, peasant running for their life, etc... It's just out of place that while the land is about to burn and explode, the peasant model is idle, fixing her hair.

There you can get help from some modeller. :cute:
I wonder who could do it...

You can't realize how happy your replies make me.
I have edited lots of stuff in the new cinematic; it has more atmosphere and I generally tried to add concept stuff in, so that it doesn't become flat in some points and good in others. I was aware of the camera being dipped into the ground, so, I changed it. I will try to upload the new version.
HappyCockroach, I know I need better animations, cause this lady starts pissing me off, trying to make up her hair every 10 seconds. Classic female, ha? :D
Honestly, though, I don't think I can find someone really willing to help me out here, animations are hard to make, no one will spend their time on this :/

Last edited:
This would be a very short reply, that's why I added this sentence. Well, the voice actor is me, Mechanical Man :)
Every voice, apart from the "aaah!" in the beginning (when the star falls and the lady stays surprised) is mine. A little Audacity for both the lady's voice and the old man's spell and all set. I uploaded a new version, make sure you watch it.

Just took a look at your cinematic. And i must say. Its awesome. In the beginning it didnt even look like Wc3. I thought it was a part from a game-trailer or something :p Anyways, your terrain is awesome, i like your story, the effects, the awesome sounds, the concept. Everything was freaking awesome. I only noticed one single thing. Right before the lady comes to the demon creature's place, the camera is going throught a tree near a wall/cliff. Anyways, this is the best cinematic i ever seen. I wish you good luck on further progress, i'll take a look at the thread later on to see the improvements. Merry christmas ;)

Level 14
My, my, my... quite impressive. The start was pretty amazing. You definitely have creativity going in your favor. Since Warnicro covered most of it already I'll make it short.

The camera work was decent, especially during the first half. However, there are several places where the camera goes through objects.

The terrain was... well, there was a lot of creative use of fogs, sun/moon, but I find using high-res models to be a cheat. Sure, you did manage to pull of the fact that the first few scenes barely look warcraft, but I just don't like high res models. It's a matter of taste I suppose. I also disliked the other dimension. I can see you wanted to aim for originality there, but it was simply badly designed, in my opinion of course.

The story looks like it can turn out to be great, but I have yet to see what the main idea of the storyline is. The "visions" at the start seem promising, as well as the narration.

The voice acting and music were done rather well. The atmosphere in the first half is quite extraordinary indeed.

Overall it was quite good. Keep up the good work :)

X-OMG-X, merci, I'll let you know, if interested in it, when a new version will be uploaded. Merry Christmas to you too :)

I was waiting for your input, CMarket and I'm glad I received it.
The reason I'm using high res models is because I want to stay away from the Warcraft III line. My purpose was to realise the story I imagined in the best way I could (meaning the best resources I could find) and yes, since I am kinda fan of perfection or specifically, whatever I get busy with must be decent enough for me mostly, I used these models. I don't consider it as a cheat, because I found them the most fitting for my purpose. Has anyone prevented you from using them yourself? Since it's a matter of taste, I'll hold back.

Ahm, the new dimension was a challenge indeed. I tried to add creativity, and I thought I achieved this a bit, but, any comments, on how to fix it, will be appreciated.

I know sometimes camera gets through objects, I need to fix this sometime. The only time this is done on purpose is in the new dimension, when it goes through that tree.

Thank you a lot both :)

Level 14
Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to offend you or anything by saying that high res models are a cheat. In fact, I think I might have used the wrong word. What I wanted to say was that you probably could have pulled off a great terrain without using high-res models. The reason I consider them "a cheat" is because you can make great terrains using them with a lot less work.

Still, since there aren't many(in fact there are but a few) cinematics that use high res as their base I suppose it is original in a way, and it works for you. So sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean to.

Level 16
Moin moin =)

Ok first of all: O M G - what a great movie =D. Still wondering you make this with Wc3? :weekani: I only remember the woman but everything else doesn't look like Wc3 - very very good =D

Camera Settings:
Looks very good, I like it. Only one point I notice that there must be a cut or something, if you look from 1:45 to 1:51. Else I think the camera is just perfect ^^.

Terrain and Enviroment:
Ok everyone can say what he want, but the terrain is imba. Really IMBA! It's looks so great that I still can't believe it! Best Terrain I every had seen - for real! Maybe a little more variation <-- not needed but I think makes it more better then 100%

Sounds and music:
Yes this is one point. I think the music is somehow to loud. Sometimes I couldn't understand the voice, because the music was to loud. But the music you play is very good and fits the movie as well perfectly.

Voice:
I have a question about that: WHO is speaking? ^^ Just a voice in the background? The (older) person? Or the young lady? At the middle I guess it's the lady, but the voice sounds somehow like an older woman. But then at 3/4 of the movie, the lady has another beautiful voice... I don't get it ^^

Effects:
100/100% - for real you can leave them as they are. I like every effect in this movie, every lightning - really really [100x really] goood =)

Units:
Nothing to say, again you did the job very very good just one point: If the boat lands, it just stop immediately and this was it. Maybe it's better if the boat gets slower and slower and then stop.

+ Story great
+ Music and sounds are good [just the music is sometimes to loud ( for me)]
+ Terrain - OMG imbalanced great - no way to say something different
+ Voice is good to, just my problem I can't say what person is speaking ^^
+ Effects are very imbalanced great in this movie, very good - I like them all
+ Units are very good as well also good models for this video [Expect the boat movement when it lands - can be a little better]
+ Camera you use is up to be perfect and the little cut, I said, nah this is no problem!

- WHY THE HELL this movie stop at Naz'rag'kel :wconfused:. I was so pretty exciting what happen next but then - the end of the preview :cry::cry::cry:

Anyway a great movie - hey was I the only one who didn't know that you can make something LIKE THIS?! :weekani::wsmile: - please continue, I bet everyone who seen it, want a continue =)

Greetings
~ The Bomb King > Dr. Boom

Thank you for your feedback, Dr.Boom.
I have given up with this; although I know how to continue with the story, I am a bit tired of making the terrain. You see, I had made some concepts in my mind, for example an ancient temple, which requires loads of patience to make.

Your idea about the boat, by gradually slowing it more and more, is very nice.

For the voice, the narrator is the female; if it was the old man, how could he know what the female did in the other dimension and why would he refer to himself ("Apparently I was alone."), when the woman is shown in the scenes? :)
Well, I should have made her sound more female-like, but my intention was to make a mature woman. It is her, narrating the events after years. That is why the "Finally! A sign of civilization; uh, I was getting bored" was in a higher pitch (younger one) than the narration itself.

Some parts were unclear, but they would be revealed during the cinematic.

To be honest, if I would remake it, I'd change many parts, especially the camera movement. Well, the next part was about to be even better (it would involve spell casting and fights against demons (real ones and demons from the past)), but unfortunately, I lost my interest after a while. Plus, the map is becoming bigger and bigger and my laptop can't really afford the energy waste. :/

So, an answer to Kael, no, I might not go on with this.

Level 23
That's really sad to hear, I just checked this out right now and I must say it is really awesome. The terrain is one of the best I 've seen in cinematics so far, especially at the beginning. Your voice acting is great as always!
Too sad to hear that you're running out of motivation.
I'll try to give some back with a littel cookie though ! :p

Level 11
I check this out right now and its very good. The terrain is very good. Your voice acting was Awesome! But from the man walks off the boat to the spell/ritual that the man is doing you almost can't hear what you're saying. Otherwise everything was very good!
And which voice tool are you using ?

-Chewii

Level 7
Seemed difficult to hear your voice over the music and effects. The subtitles helped alot. The music blew me away and the scene where she walked along the horizon as a meteor flew behind her in the distance, by gods that was just awesome. Here's looking forward to playing the game. Hell, if you make it on SC2, it gives me a reason to go out and buy SC2...

That's not a meteor, it was supposed to be the sun, it's the alteration of day to night (showing that she had been travelling, that's why she says "After three days...", when she got to Tristherion's temple).

I know the music is loud, but it was a bit intentional, so that the music would fill the scenes up.

And yes, I am already preparing the huge lore of the game, I am currently working with the races and the most important place of the world I am going to create.

Thank you very much for your comment, it's very very supportive! :]

Epic, really epic!
I really liked story, music and voice :D
Nah I will say, I like terrain also :razz:

But I must say that it isn't perfect, there are few bad things and I don't like them!
Because all else already pointed main bad things abut camera, sound (women walking) and few more... I will write about terrain!

Here are my suggestions:

[river first cinema minutes]

#Place more grass (can't be different from used one) and some shrubs/plants/flowers near trees, you can also lower their Z scale and place near current one, this way you will not fill whole ground or at least create such like impression!
(you did that in mid part of cinema in forest)
#There was no fish in water or I didn't see any...
#Create new doodads (I mean rocks) that will be very small (easiest way to do so :D) and place them on river bottom, do same with some different grass or plant, it will be nice idea :D
#Maybe few animals that can increase terrain beauty
#After camera change we can see how sky cut terrain in some point, it is cool in real life but looks bad here ingame, there is no that fade effect you understand point I guess...

riverbottomL.jpg

[mid part of cinematic]

#forest, but there are no small trees (same example like rocks and grass/plants above)
#no logs, branch on the ground, no mushrooms, animals (animals can run from units when that dude start casting spell/ritual or whatever)
#maybe few rocks covered with grass, something like moss :D
#terrain was empty at some place when girl was teleported to that another dimension, maybe more vines or whatever that was on the ground, can be resized and should be so it don't bother eye while watching everything else :D
#some more special effect like doodads here ^^

climbing-moss.jpg

[end of cinematic]

#Some wall doodads are just bad placed, also they look like this:
.__
| i

instead of something like
.._.
(" ''o-
' "

I think that you understand what I mean to say (just place some more wall doodads near current ones)
#Wall doodads look like created from same size, just place some larger or smaller...
I like to place large doodads and then large number of small ones near/on them creating nice picture that way :D

LlandodRocks.jpg

And for the end, you used dark fog to create awesome effect and I liked that but I wasn't be able to see something more about terrain in some parts of cinematic, I hope that will few suggestions of mine help ya a little to create better terrain now (maybe not even so important) and maybe in some another awesome project again! Also sry for asking perfection, I just want to help ^^'

Thanks for awesome video!

Status
Not open for further replies.