• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #8 - Melee Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

the%20hive%20workshop.png

texturing.png
contest.png
number.png
8.png

thwtc8p.png

Melee Heroes
Contestants are to completely re-design a melee hero in the game, a list of these units can be found in the rules. The outcome still has to belong to the same faction, and suit the role of the original hero. You may alter the race of the unit as long as it belongs to the same faction.
Further details in the rules.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the skin submission rules, the creator will be disqualified.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • An in-game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • The file(s) in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it is yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Textures must be no larger than 512 pixels in any dimension when submitted as final entry.
    You may work in 1024 (or higher), but the texture must be resized down to 512 pixels on equal dimension textures when submitted.
  • Your chosen unit must be an existing WCIII model and you may not edit the model in any way.
  • You must re-design one of the heroes listed below for your entry.
    • HUMAN: Paladin, Archmage, Mountain King, Blood Mage
    • ORC: Blademaster, Far Seer, Tauren Chieftain, Shadow Hunter
    • UNDEAD: Death Knight, Lich, Dreadlord, Crypt Lord
    • NIGHT ELF: Keeper of the Grove, Priestess of the Moon, Demon Hunter, Warden
    • NEUTRAL*: Alchemist, Naga Sea Witch, Tinker, Beastmaster, Dark Ranger, Firelord, Pandaren Brewmaster, Pit Lord
      * neutral heroes belong to no other faction, and as such can potentially be of any race included in the WCIII lore (not World of WarCraft).
      Do note that the hero name and abilities still have to fit somewhat. A water elemental Firelord would be silly.
  • Your re-design must follow the same general idea behind the hero you're basing it on. You're not making a new hero, but you're altering the artistical design.
  • Your re-design must be of a race that is already included in the unit roster of the faction that your base hero belongs to.
    Keep in mind that impractical conversions will give you less points in the Concept criteria.
    Example: Turning the Tauren Chieftain into a troll hero would be impractical, and give few points for Concept.
    Example: Turning the Paladin into a blood elf could be practical, and could potentially give many points for Concept.
prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Open

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Shading
Does the unit fit into the WCIII lighting environment? Is the source of light consistent? Does the unit have a realistic 3D shape enhanced by the shading? Is each individual part shaded according to the material?/30%

Concept
Does the design of the unit suit the model it is wrapped on? Has the author come up with creative ways to change parts of the model into something new? Does the unit fit into the style of WCIII?/40%

Details
Does the unit appear blurry and bland in-game? Are the details appropriate and realistically placed? Are the materials in use easily recognized?/30%
  • 75 % of the points shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the points shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on the 8th of June 2011 and conclude on the 10th of July 2011, 11:59 PM GMT

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 17
Yes they are dwarves I just deleted my post to remove my small piece of stupidity.
Lol.

Nevermind, I'm eager to see what people do with this.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Mainly because, as far as I know, draenei, as seen in World of Warcraft, are not part of the WC3 alliance? Or at least not in melee, and as such, would not make much sense. This is also why blood elves are part of Human and goblins are Neutral, not to mention the Forsaken being Neutral and the absence of worgen. Either way, though, as Dio said, making a draenei out of the available Human (Alliance, if you will) heroes would be fairly difficult.

As for why gnomes are allowed- I thought the Flying Machine was operated by a gnome. If this is incorrect, I shall remove Gnome as an option. I've just listed races that are included in the faction's units in melee - excluding lesser beasts (as in horses, gryphons, wolves and the likes), as it doesn't make sense for those to be heroes.

Level 38
lols, can't believe you actually made it contest #8 XD

to the above post, melee = standard gameplay, it has nothing to do with the attack range in this case. Maps are either melee or custom, were melee maps focus on the existing RTS gameplay of wc3.

I just have to figure out which hero I'm gonna do, pretty much fallowed the theme for the Dark Ranger and Sea Witch already, so I can rule out doing either of those at least.

As for the wc3 flying machine It's a dwarf to the best of my knowledge (though the one in WC2 was indeed a gnome). If gnomes are still allowed i might do a gnomish mountain king, that could be interesting...

Level 26
Uther is a Paladin, so it would not make a difference. But Admiral Proudmore, Jaina, Illidan, (Mal)Furion, Archemonde or Garithos would indeed make a difference though. You might want to discuss this as it would give you a bigger selection.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Uther uses the same model as the melee Paladin, doesn't he? Besides, we wanted to keep it limited somehow. If you start throwing in campaign heroes there's so many (as far as I recall).

I think I'll be keeping gnomes as allowed race for Human, because I firmly believe that a dwarf in a flying machine makes no sense. Gnomes and Goblins are the technology races, dwarves represent booze, beards, braids, broads, beer, barfights and brutality! (Somebody should've called them bwarves!)

"If I didn't kick so much ass, I'd feel a tad awkward."

Level 38
Uther actually uses a different one, he has golden armor and plate mail while the melee paladin has more leathery armor. Portrait looks the same though, took me a while to notice they actually have different textures.

I think all the campagin-exclusive models (ignoring a skin-change model that fits the theme and ignoring non-hero models that are used for heroes) are the fallowing:

- Arthas, Arthas with frostmourne
- Jaina
- Admiral Proudmoore
- Lord Garithos
- Archmage Ghost
- Archimonde, Kil'jaeden
- Grom Hellscream, Chaos Grom Hellscream
- Thrall
- Furion, Malfurion
- Malfurion with Stag
- Illidan Evil
- Akuma

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

But it's probably just a different model for the purpose of using a different texture, and no significant changes beyond that.

Level 49
Uther uses the same model as the melee Paladin, doesn't he? Besides, we wanted to keep it limited somehow. If you start throwing in campaign heroes there's so many (as far as I recall).

I think I'll be keeping gnomes as allowed race for Human, because I firmly believe that a dwarf in a flying machine makes no sense. Gnomes and Goblins are the technology races, dwarves represent booze, beards, braids, broads, beer, barfights and brutality! (Somebody should've called them bwarves!)

"If I didn't kick so much ass, I'd feel a tad awkward."

Siege Tanks are dwarven too.
Dwarves are Engineers in nature.
Gnomes didn't participate in the third war because Troggs were killing them in Gnomeregan and then BAM radiation flood.

Level 49
argh...crypt lord wrap is just horrible and dreadlord is just so difficult to skin(mainly face). so i might just have to go with a Lich. i hope this one differs to your concept M0rbid. if its the same concept, i'll just look for another model to skin.
Anyway, WIP 1:
Untitled-9.jpg
purple parts are gems

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

First WiP of my blademaster with a heavy elite clan armor...

HeroBladeMaster.jpg
Looking sweet so far. Not sure if the patched leggings suit an elite soldier, though.

Ooooh, me like! Seeing as you made him have a helmet similar to the one of humans and eles, you could also edit his flag to the Alliance of Lordaeron flag! Make him somewhat like what Blackmoore wanted Thrall to be.
That'd have to be for an alternate version, because the skin has to be suitable as the melee Blademaster hero.

Level 26
A.R. You have to use another model as Jaina is no melee hero :/

nice WIP Morbid. Looking forward to it.

Interesting concept Ampharos, but IMO you should change the purple into something else. The contrast to tjhe golden mask seems a bit too much tto me.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I rephrased the rules slightly to better explain the boundaries.
  • You must re-design one of the heroes listed below for your entry.
    • HUMAN: Paladin, Archmage, Mountain King, Blood Mage
    • ORC: Blademaster, Far Seer, Tauren Chieftain, Shadow Hunter
    • UNDEAD: Death Knight, Lich, Dreadlord, Crypt Lord
    • NIGHT ELF: Keeper of the Grove, Priestess of the Moon, Demon Hunter, Warden
    • NEUTRAL*: Alchemist, Naga Sea Witch, Tinker, Beastmaster, Dark Ranger, Firelord, Pandaren Brewmaster, Pit Lord
      * neutral heroes belong to no other faction, and as such can potentially be of any race included in the WCIII lore (not World of WarCraft).
      Do note that the hero name and abilities still have to fit somewhat. A water elemental Firelord would be silly.
  • Your re-design must follow the same general idea behind the hero you're basing it on. You're not making a new hero, but you're altering the artistical design.
  • Your re-design must be of a race that is already included in the unit roster of the faction that your base hero belongs to.
    Keep in mind that impractical conversions will give you less points in the Concept criteria.
    Example: Turning the Tauren Chieftain into a troll hero would be impractical, and give few points for Concept.
    Example: Turning the Paladin into a blood elf could be practical, and could potentially give many points for Concept.

So what are the boundaries, in more detail? I thought the farthest you could go would be a Fel/Chaos Orc Blademaster, but then I saw something about a Treant Warden.

Explain?

The idea is that a hero for the Night Elf faction has to be a race that is already included in the unit roster of that faction. Thus, in theory, a remade hero for NE can be everything from your average night elf, to a chimaera. Naturally, a chimaera is fairly impractical to make out of a night elf. A treant, however, would be doable, and also represents a large portion of NE units - also counting ancients. The same general idea applies to the other factions. Neutral is a bit of an oddball, because there are so diverse races involved. However, as they are indeed neutral heroes, their race wouldn't matter as much.

Interesting theme, I'm in.

Quick WIP colour layout in Mudbox, may stick with this idea or do something totally different, who knows!

I'm sorry to ruin such a great concept, but Jaina is not a melee hero, she's a campaign character. The models you may re-design are listed in the rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
Eep, I probably should have better explained what I'm planning to do. I'm not redesigning Jaina, I'm redesigning the Blood Mage using Jaina's model.

If that's still against the rules, it's cool; I'll do something else.

Attachments

• WIP2.jpg
    WIP2.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 295
Level 49
You have to recreate one of the available melee hero skins into something that fits the race. At first I thought it was just 'recreate a Paladin into a cooler-looking Paladin', but then I realized you could basically do a lot more than that; For instance, a Gnomish Mountain King, a Dwarven Arch Mage, a Treant Warden... Anything that fits the mother race.

Status
Not open for further replies.