• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modelling Contest #18 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

modeling.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
8.png

results.png

140223-albums1517-picture38155.jpg

Aberration
Contestants are to create a model of an aberration.

contest%20judging.png

Mesh: 15/15
The mesh shows a wise usage of only 800 polies. The anatomy is good, everything is around perfection. Some would say that these tentacles could get a bit more poly love, but with the in-game level of detail it looks just fine.

Animations: 9/10
Outstanding scratch animations. I like all of them, even if walk looks a bit clumsy. My only concern is the portrait looking kinda dead.

Skin: 10/10
This is absolutely one kick-ass skin. Amazing job.

Mechanics: 5/5
Works fine in-game.

Effects: 5/5
Marvelous effects on that death anim. I don't see any need for more.

Creativity: 5/5
It is really creative, but there's some conceptual issues...I don't see it as an aberration, more like a demon... and a not very aberrational one. Won't discount you in this, since I find it too subjective.

Overall rating: 49/50

Very good mesh. Looks anatomically coherent and balanced. The poly count is ok too.

Animations: 7/10
Good animations, I just don't like the stiff tail and some anims looking kinda dumb. Attack isn't agressive enough.

Skin: 4/10
Too many edges I spot. And the wrap looks pretty monotonous. But it is ok viewed in-game.

Works fine.

Effects: 2/5
You could have made it look more disgusting and aberrational with some nasty effects. But there are none. Not that the model lacks them all that badly.

It is pretty creative... I couldn't see the Akama in it at first.

Overall rating: 38/50

Mesh: 13/15
The mesh (mostly Satyr's) is well resolved and very low-poly, yet good looking, I just find it quite too weird and senseless in some parts.

Animations: 5/10
Since you used blizzard anims what I judge is the rigging, which wasn't efficient. The feet move while it stands and go below/above the ground, and there are some unpleasant snaps.

Skin: 9/10
The texture was very well done, but there are some wrap issues you could've fixed in the Satyr model that remained there as some sudden edges.

Mechanics: 3/5
In-game it isn't much but a screwed up satyr, but it works fine. Could have teamcolor though.

The existing effects suffice.

Creativity: 3/5
Quite too random instead of creative.

Overall rating: 38/50

Perfectly done. Not a single mistake I can point out.

The animations are well-made and efficient. The portrait is kinda monotonous though.

Skin: 8/10
Quite crowded with details. Those marks kinda blend in-game and turn out messy from above. Awesome nevertheless.

Works perfectly in-game.

Awesome effects.

The concept is creative and consistent.

Overall rating: 47/50

Mesh: 10/15
It looks ok but some elements look too rough and cross over too suddenly, specially those spikes.

Animations: 8/10
A very nice set of linear animations, what's not easy to do. They're kinda motionless in-game though.

Skin: 5/10
Too many saturation/resolution conflicts on that spikes attached to the body, the eye, etc... that makes it look kinda noobish. It would be better if you stuck to a single texture, or more compatible ones.

Mechanics: 4/5
Works well in-game, but it doesn't walk very nicely.

Effects: 4/5
Good and sufficient effects, I'd like to see some more blood though... overall more nasty stuff.

Good concept and creative details.

Overall rating: 36/50

Mesh: 11/15
Looks good. Polycount is high, but the model is a morphing one, so it's alright. My only concern is that it isn't very anatomically clear... I can't know where the spider legs come from, the fin is kinda wrong starting right between the eyes, stuff like that.

A great collection of animations. I just don't like some senseless and long distortions of the mesh in the alternate form.

Skin: 5/10
The texture looks kinda plain and noobish. Those TC marks on the model are pretty lame, they lack dark edges. TC is overall badly placed in the texture. But there are good things in it.

Performs very well in-game. (With such a complex model with different instances it would've been nice of you to provide a test map to the voters/judges.)

Outstanding effects. The ribbons are a nice touch and the particles are of good taste, not to mention the sounds and all that stuff.

Absolutely smart and creative. As side notes, I like how both forms have things in common... and how dissipate is a dissipate failure.

Overall rating: 40/50

K so here it is.

DonDustin's 'Kangooration'

Mesh:

So, as much as the idea was solid, unfortunately the execution was lacking. Unfortunately, it just ended up looking incredibly herp derp. An aberration should be scary and/or creepy. This ended up looking funny.

5/15

Animation:

Same problem as the mesh. The concept was good, and I could see what you were going for, but everything was rigid and very stretched out. In the end it just looked lolzy as opposed to scary. Its good that thy are not bugged though.

3/10

Skin/Texture:

The wrap does not smoothly transition between pieces. I realize its incredibly difficult to do that with ingame textures but regardless, it is distracting. The other problem is that its a bland texture to begin with. And, having the bands is a bad idea. Doesn't look natural.

2/10

Mechanics:

Works fine as far as I can see. Nothing is bugged.

5/5

Effects:

What effects? Ofc you can make the obvious argument that it really doesn't need any.

2/5

Creativity:

As I stated before. This idea was a very good and inventive one. And I think it had a lot of potential. Unfortunately, the execution was just abysmal.

5/5

TOTAL:

Vermillion Edict's Flesh Eater

Mesh:

Oh where to begin. So, most of this is all a problem due to the concept but it converts to a mesh problem when its this sort of thing. So, the placement of the bottom tongue was...bad. For the obvious reasons. Also, the legs dont look spidery. They need to be beefier. And, the chains coming out of the ass was a bad idea. The portrait model is awkward in it's placement. Though, I get what you were looking for. I could go on about little details, but the general problem is that it ended up looking lolzy and not scary. All in all, fairly messy and awkwardly placed.

3/15

Animation:

Well, there were some good and some bad. The weird white fairy thing while adding a good deal of anims, doesn't fit at all. And, its attack anims...are...well...awful. The stand anim for the penis tongue creature version, is strange. It doesn't work physically. And it's attacks don't actually reach out far enough to really notice. Some of the anims were actually decent though.

2/10

Skin/Texture:

Probably, the part that makes it look the most messy. It's blurry and kind of incoherent. It makes the parts not fit together very well at all.

2/10

Mechanics:

Works. But the attack anims make it awkward. Also the portrait has limited anims and looks odd because of the positioning. Though I get what you were going for.

3/5

Effects:

Not bad, but nothing special. Basically, just poofy balls of white and black.

3/5

Creativity:

Ok so, I dont know how on earth you thought up this concept. Gonna be honest here. When I first saw it, my instant reaction was:

What is this...I dont even...

Now, you can make the argument that an aberration is supposed to be crazy like that, but this is just lolzy. Not scary. And it is honestly the most retarded looking monster ever. It is a spider, with a chain spewing ass, and a penis tongue, with tongue arms. Oh and a random squid head. Best part is, to top it off, it turns into a gay fairy humanoid.

1/5

TOTAL:

Ike_Ike's Bucket Face

Mesh:

Actually, a fairly inventive mesh. Decent. Nothing special though.

10/15

Animation:

The problem is the mesh doesn't really work with the animations very well. It looks awkward and edgy. I guess satyr is the best choice though.

"cough" custom anims ftw "cough"

3/10

Skin/Texture:

Best part of the model. Looks nice and freaky. The bucket looks kinda weird though. Quite grainy.

7/10

Mechanics:

Works ok. Portrait is meh.

4/5

Effects:

Meh. Not anything really to say here. The splats work and are decent enough.

3/5

Creativity:

Nice alternate to the pyramid head. :3

Seriously though, its decent enough I guess. Kind of odd that you put a bucket there though.

4/5

Total:

Thrikodius' Fred

Mesh:

Decent enough for the task. Simple because the concept requires it to be.

9/15

Animations:

They are ok. But, when a talk goes out a ways, it should linger for a small amount of time. Otherwise, it looks awkward. Also, the pupil expanding was awesome, but it had a flaw. When it expands it should expand along the lines of the actual sphere of the eye. Instead, protrudes outwards away from the eye.

6/10

Skin/Texture

Decent from a distance. Though, it kind of looks like a bloody turd, up close it is pretty bad. The problem is the contrast between rock texture and skin. Inventive usage I will give you that.

5/10

Mechanics:

Works fine. Some things like the decay anim look weird ingame.

3/5

Effects:

They suck balls. Bad coloring, bad emission.

1/5

Creativity:

Although, the concept of a beholder is nothing new, the extended body is a nice addition.

3/5

Total:

PyramidHe@d's Watcher

Mesh:

Very nice indeed. Works perfectly with the texture. I mean...perfectly. The uvw is impeccable.

15/15

Animations:

Amazing work. The global anims are nice. And, the rest is great. The idea of making the alternate dead version was great. The waving arms is a tad but too intense though. Overall, its superb. The brain...is so...awesome.

9/10

Skin/Texture:

I could kiss your Asian ass right now. Perfectly well made to fit the mesh. The TC is brilliant.

10/10

Mechanics:

Functions quite well indeed. The portrait idea you had there is so...awesome.

5/5

Effects:

What effects? It really needs some particles.

1/5

Creativity:

Aberration golem. Sounds pretty creative to me. The little things like the 3 faces, the brain, the tentacles, etc all came together amazingly. Sometimes, I just want to walk into your brain and look at all the little freaky ideas like walking into one of those body preserve museums.

5/5

Total:

Dionesiist's Hell Knight

Mesh:

Amazing. Works well with the texture. The hand idea was brilliant.

15/15

Animations:

Please, have my babies. Then fuck them and make more babies. After you do that, donate their DNA to the government to be cloned a thousand times.

They are all amazing. Death anim is particularly spectacular.

10/10

Skin/Texture

So very nice indeed. Helmet works well with the body.

I can not describe how awesome the hand idea is.

10/10

Mechanics:

Works fine. Portrait is great.

5/5

Effects:

There are almost none. There are some on death which do the job but are nothing special.

3/5

Creativity:

Very inventive. I love it.

5/5

Total:

Dionesiist-Hellknight
14/15 – Mesh
[Excellent mesh, the fingers may be paper but since that is not noticable ingame, it is space saving and effective.And with the great texture they still look fantastic]
10/10 – Animation
[Animations are fantastic, he really LUNGES when he attacks, everything is smooth and looks great]
10/10 – Skin/Texture
[Fantastic texture, good teamcolor, texture adds depth, great work on hands]
05/05 – Mechanics
[Everything works well ingame, nothing more to say]
03/05 – Effects
[AAAAUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH! THE PIXEL ROCKS! THEY'RE EVERYWHERE! engulfed by fuzzy cotton flame!]
05/05 – Creativity
[Extremely creative idea, at first i didnt like the legs... tentacle things, but given the theme, they really make the creature look horrible... in a good way :D. Coupled with his grotesquely overly-muscular 'bating arm, a very effective abomination]
47/50 – Total

Pyramidhead-Watcher
14/15 – Mesh
[The mesh is fantastic, smooth and organic, very interesting shapes, everything looks great]
10/10 – Animation
[Animations, like the mesh, are fantastic, the animations are smooth and beautiful, no clipping or problems ingame]
10/10 – Skin/Texture
[And again, as always, a fantastic skin, great definition and color/teamcolor, intricate design, lots of character]
05/05 – Mechanics
03/05 – Effects
[Particle emitters are nonexistent, but global sequences, tc glow and geoset animations make it look wonderful]
01/05 – Creativity
[A very creative idea and i would have given it 5/5, if you hadn't had made such a big F'ing deal about "no constructs"... floating stoneface rayman from hell doesn't quite fit the theme you defined, it just looks more like a construct than an abomination to me.]
43/50 – Total

Thrikodius-Fred
11/15 – Mesh
[The mesh, for the most part, looks great. Except for the spikes on it's back, which look out of place and tacked on, they are too strait/geometric compared with the rest of the organic body and too dark compared with the lighter parts. Some contrast is nice, but it needs to fit.]
09/10 – Animation
[The animations look great, mostly smooth with a lot of movement]
07/10 – Skin/Texture
[The felhound was an excellent choice of texture, and the use of the dungeon texture for the veins in the eye and dark rim of the eye were fantastic. but again, those back spikes look out of place, and it's partly because of the dark texture that doesn't blend too well with the rest of the body that it's sticking out of]
05/05 – Mechanics
04/05 – Effects
[Particles are fairly simple, but effective, i like the laser eye and exploding eye blood, but the yellow soft cotton fire fluff looks annoying]
04/05 – Creativity
[A fairly creative idea, similar to a beholder but still unique, i like the little mouth tail, good job]
40/50 – Total

Ike_Ike-BucketFace
10/15 – Mesh
[The mesh has a lot of interesting shapes, but looks pretty sloppy in some places, it looks like it was intended to be low-poly, but a few extra could have done it some good]
06/10 – Animation
[The animations, while i understand were taken mostly from ingame, parts of the pelvis and legs are significantly deformed ingame. And the shoulder... loop things are wiggling around waayy too much]
07/10 – Skin/Texture
[Now, dont get me wrong, i love Ike's skins, this texture looked fantastic, but it just wasnt wrapped on the model very well, there's a part on the inner knee thats stretched and the inner section of the shoulder-loops (among other things) dont line up well, they are too compact compared with the outside]
04/05 – Mechanics
[a bit of clipping/stretching, otherwise fine]
02/05 – Effects
[Basically non-existant]
04/05 – Creativity
[Pyramidhead's brother? :/ Interesting concept, floating arms are meh]
33/50 – Total

DonDustin-Kangooration
09/15 – Mesh
[Mesh is... "meh" the arms look like bendy-noodle Q-tips with giant soviet scythes attached to them. Odd body proportions too]
06/10 – Animation
[Animations, i felt could have used work, his belly is stretched in attack and stand ready, why is he attacking with the blunt side of his scythe hands? Is he stabbing himself in the death animation? bendaroo-arms, walk animation is nice and creative though.]
05/10 – Skin/Texture
[I realize that working with ingame textures can be hard sometimes, especially with organic units, but the seams on the UV wrap are obvious all over his body, the head is randomly much darker than the rest of his body, teamcolor isnt very well integrated]
05/05 – Mechanics
03/05 – Effects
[Particle emitters are nonexistent, decay skeleton suffices]
03/05 – Creativity
[Given the name, if the intent was "evil kangaroo", then i would say that the concept and execution was sub-par]
29/50 – Total

Vermillion Edict-Eldritch_Flesheater
07/15 – Mesh
[Im not quite sure what im looking at here. I understand that it's suppose to be an abomination, but it just looks like a big mess, its like a spider... dr.zoidberg, axe-weilding, chain-butt, penis-tongue... THING, that turns into an angel? It just has too much, and the axes dont have a top or front to the blades, they look hollow]
03/10 – Animation
[Lots of clipping going on in the animations, he is chopping off his own legs in both attack animations and his legs are melding through his arms. I dont know why he turns into a glowing angel "stretch armstrong" but the rubber band legs and arms just dont seem like they fit an "abomination"]
04/10 – Skin/Texture
[Well since half of the model doesnt have a texture at all (the ethereal stretch armstrong half) i guess that half gets no points :/ the spider-zoidberg half of the model seems to have a fairly adequate texture, i like all the teamcolor on it but the legs just look like blurry stripes]
05/05 – Mechanics
02/05 – Effects
[Particle emitters could have used a lot of work, green and pink cotton flame and then SOLID white or SOLID black blobs squirting out everywhere doesnt exactly look that great]
01/05 – Creativity
[While the... ambition was there to create a unique concept, i felt that it completely failed, the main form was trying to be too many things at once, a spider, a zoidberg, an axeman, a tongue-face-body, etc.; which really made the entire thing seem messy and cluttered, but on top of that, as with pyramidead's this model didnt fit the theme at all. How is a white "stretch armstrong" angel an abomination? Plus it wasnt very creative since you always seem to make the same model over and over again, some strange creature or person that HAS TO transform into a solid black or solid white ... ethereal thing. Ironically i think making it transform was just an entirely bad idea, this model was an abomination.... but not in the right way]
22/50 – Total

((HappyCockroach+Mr. Bob+Anarchianbedlam)/150*60)+((Votes/Total Votes)*40)=final score

1st Dionesiist
((49+48+47)/150*60)+((63/169)*40)= 72.5112

2nd Pyramidhe@d
((47+45+43)/150*60)+((67/169)*40)= 69.858

3rd Thrikodius
((36+27+40)/150*60)+((20/169)*40)= 45.9337

4th ike_ike
((38+31+33)/150*60)+((9/169)*40)= 42.9302

5th DonDustin
((38+22+29)/150*60)+((5/169)*40)= 36.7834

6th Vermillion Edict
((40+14+22)/150*60)+((5/169)*40)= 31.5834

140223-albums1517-picture41573.png

Polls | Contest

Level 12
Firstly, I would like to congratulate the winner and runner ups!
Participants, your effort will be seen one day and be rewarded greatly, you just need to put in more effort, always practice perseverance, never give up.
And judges, thank you for your time for judging.
Voters, your precious vote have been appreciated, thank you for voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.