• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Short Story Contest #6 - Survival Horror

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
Entry List?

Dragonson
GunSlinger21
Avator
indomitable1319
darkdeathknight
WhitePhoenix
neo child
Pharaoh_
Oziris

If your missing or believe your in the wrong section please pm/vm me.
I'll strikeout people as I finish reading them, but won't reveal when I've JUDGED and the results obviously :thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 20
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 4th February 2011 and conclude on 11:59, 6th March 2011, GMT

Nope :/

Update; Some very interesting entries here...

Level 17
Dam i fail i musta misread it was gonna start today then i saw the message >.>
*Eats wip and throws in bin*
Oh well Hope the next competition is soon

Level 7
Bugger, I had really wanted to do this, but I was stuck in a disaster area for the latter weeks, and only got it half-written. :( I was really proud of the plot too! :D

Oh well, I'll probably be around for the next one!

The Survivor.

Tuesday 10th of July
I decided to write a diary, so if anyone survives the shit that were in, they can have some record
of things. It's good to write again. Never had time to do so, but writing seems to give me comfort.
Something you don't have much of in this world.
It has been 15 days now, holed up in here. The food's been running out.
Barricading this house was hard work. Took the whole day just to board up the windows, and sort
everything out. I even left my possessions outside, luckily there seemed to be no looters around.
When it happened, everyone seemed to know what to do. Just shoot the damned things in the head.
At the start, chaos from people killed more than the actual zombies. Problem was, zombies didn’t
need to "bite" you or harm you in anyway, the disease was air-borne.
The "dead" did not stay dead. Before people could dispose of the bodies, they were already rising
creating more havoc in the cities.
Another thing that people thought was that they would rot and die off. When people thought they all
died, the zombies got a feast served up on a silver platter.
Well, that was a year ago. Some of the hopeful thought the army would come and rescue them.
Jarheads are trained to kill other soldiers. This was a job for the scientists. Not much help when
they didn’t know what they were dealing with.
I have to get out of this place, or I'll starve to death.
The sun shone brightly today. That was a good thing, as you could see things far away, which could
not have been noticed during a fog, for example.
I went to get my other things from the house. A length of metal pipe, a pistol with about 4 rounds
left, some clothes, bottles of water and a picture frame, with a smiling family. I didn't really
know my family, except for this photo, so it was very dear to me.
When I came to put the items into the trolley, I saw one.
It was looking around the bottom floor, and was going around the living room.
"Crap" I thought.
Then it looked at me.
I dropped my things, and ran up. The beast came running up as well, but faster.
I stood my ground at the top of the stairs. I pulled out the stair railing to use as a makeshift
weapon.
"Die you-"
The monster was extremely powerful and punched me in the chest. I fell down, and my chest was
aching. I could feel the blood rushing up the bruise.
The zombie put his hands together, and was about to crush me. The final blow.
I quickly kicked it on the knee, making it fall towards me.
I lifted up the railing in front of me.
The sound of wood piercing the chest was heard.
The strength of the brute was definitely different to the normal ones. My chest still hurts.
I scouted a small supermarket, but I did not find much, just a few cans hiding behind a broken
vending machine.
I continued to follow the road, the road is civilization, I'm just hoping that the Safehouse report
on the radio is real.
Thinking about the zombies, they seemed to walk around a lot more today. they seem to be changing,
I just hope the one I killed was some one-off strong zombie. I will need more firepower to take
these strong ones down.
I better get some rest, being awake is probably not helping my chest to heal up. Maybe I should
just count myself lucky that there was not broken bones.
somehow saw me going in.
Luckily, I am prepared this time.
"Come on you bastards!"
A howling was heard from the nearby zombies.
about 10 seconds later, I could see a zombie from the top of the stairs, it looked around for a
brief moment and started going up the stairs. It was followed by 2 more zombies.
I pushed the bookcase that I put on top of the stairs, books and all. Before the zombies could
react, they were crushed by the bookcase.
One of them was pinned by the heavy object and it's life was quickly ended by my pipe. Suddenly the
ground moved under me. One zombie under the bookshelf was not dead, just mad.
It threw me off the now smashed bookshelf and I landed mid-way on the stairs. My instincts made me
dodge half of the bookshelf thrown near me.
I booted the angry zombie in the face. It's jaw cleanly broke off, but it stared unmoved. More
groans came from the bottom floor.
The zombie attempted to strike me, but I got my knife out and stuck it in his arm. It made a
guttural howl, and while it was distracted, I ran to the top of the stairs, and went into the
bathroom.
I looked around for any kind of weapon, there was none.
The zombies started to bang at the door, but the lock held it shut.
I had to think.... Going through the window seemed to be my only option.
I managed to squeeze out when the door broke. I managed to grab the rooftop as soon as a zombie
swiped at the window.
waiting...
Usually the zombies would stand there, do nothing, or follow anything that moved.
I had to get out, but dropping from the roof seemed impossible. There were too many, and I could
not fight them off with my bare fists.
There was a large tree that, If I jumped, I might reach. I could then jump down to the fence-line
and then reach the next house. It sounded simple, but it was going to be the most desperate thing I
will do in my life. The risks were high, but staying here was stupid, so I had to take a chance.
What a stupid thing to do.
The tough looking branch was actually rotten, and I fell down landing like a ragdoll. My legs
started to scream and refused to move. My body agreed. Some of the zombies realized the strange
visitor, and started to run towards it.
I had to move, but my body continued to stay still. I used my arms to push myself off the ground,
and forced my legs to follow suit. A especially erratic zombie ran and jumped high in the air, like
some kind of large, bloody cat. Still in a crouched position, I simply crawled forward, and the
zombie missed its mark, and from the sound of it, landed into the tree.
I got up, and ran. The zombies roared and howled, but I continued to run.
There were a line of zombies in front, that were simply waiting for me to run into them.
I saw the window of the room next to me and I jumped in.
Thought I had a chance when I got in the house, but I only managed to kill 3 or 4 of them.
I had to leave with the diary, the photo, the gun, and the knife.
I had no food, no water. I had to find that safehouse, it was my only hope to survive.
However, after I saw what these evolved zombies were capable of, I am not hoping very highly.
After I got out of the house, I continued to follow the road. Road was the way to civilization. I
hope that is true.
ditch.
I heard more footsteps. These weren’t the shuffling of zombies. These sounded like proper people.
Something that he had not heard in a long time. He was about to stand up and shout but another part
of him told him to stay put.
They sounded like they were very close now. I stood still, and my breathing slowed.
"We should stop here and rest. The fog is getting really heavy, I can't see a thing"
"I'm starvin' let's have something to eat. Let's build the fire over the side of the road"
My heartbeat rose. I slowly moved my hand on the pistol, safety off.
But the footsteps did not get closer. It seemed that they had moved to the other side of the road.
I relaxed a bit, but I was still tense. I would have to not move for however long it needed to
take.
I heard the men sitting down, and talking. They did not talk about anything interesting, just
events before the world became upside-down.
One of them after said they should scout around for any dangers.
After one of the men left, another said,
"Hey, what is that thing over there?"
I knew they were pointing to me, but before the other could react, a shout came from the road.
"A horde! Get your asses outta here!"
Somebody had opened fire.
It did not matter I was now seen or not, if the scout was true, staying here was as good as being
dead.
I ran toward the forest on the side of the road, away from the action. Now the whole area was
filled with gunfire and the howls of zombies.
throats were torn out, but left quite untouched other than those injuries. I have been scavenging
from the dead and the wild until now. I have entered a city, which seemed to have been resettled
once before, but was overrun. I have yet to search fully, but it seems promising...
I looked from the top floor of an apartment. It had large glass windows, and I could see outside.
Yet it was not the site of a city anymore. Some buildings only had a charred patch of rubble in it
place. Many shops with glass windows were replaced with scrap pieces of metal, mostly from car
parts. From here I could see the Crude Fence-line that surrounded part of the city. It seemed to be
well built compared with what they had to build it with, but now uncared for, most had fell down,
offering gateways in an enclosed area. The city now started to have some vegetation growing. Nature
was taking back what was hers. I decided to see what I could find in the building. There was an
emergency torch that I saw in the stairwell, and I began to start going towards the door.
However this room seemed special. It had a different steel door, which was replaced from the
normal, wooden doors. This was locked with a heavy padlock, which I managed to shoot off with the
pistol. The gunshot echoed loudly. The padlock broke, and it flung away.
As I opened it, I dropped the ragged doll in shock.
One half of the room had more than a lifetime's supply of food. Huge stores of canned food were
stacked neatly along a large steel shelf. Sacks of what seemed like rice and wheat were piled on a
corner. The other half had gun racks, with many shotguns, military rifles and machine-guns. There
were crates filled with ammunition, each crate marked with what caliber it held.
I let out a soft laugh. I realised that this city was the Safehouse.

Level 4
Just trying to keep this thread alive abit by posting and Grey Nightmare, frostloh told me he quit so you can take his name off the list.

Level 27
Yeh, compared to the professionals we're pretty much off the scale. In a bad way.
But then again, you might wanna tone it down a little Grey. TWIF is right about that honesty thing.
Honesty can hurt. In more than one way...
Holds up the 'Anti-Rage Shield' infront of Grey and braces for impact.

Level 20
Should've used sarcasm tags... <.<

I actually like quite a few, but believe it not - my favourites aren't actually the ones that are getting most marks.

Three things about me as a judge:

-> I'm honest
-> I'm most certainly not biast... infact if I know someone I'm usually more harsh than if I don't. ^^
-> And harsh I am, the judging will be accurate in terms of who was best but don't expect anyone to get 100's or high 90's

Level 27
And most importantly: Both you and TWIF have experiance with writing. ;)

I'l be breaking up this mini-topic here, btw, as we need to look at another issue:
No matter when your judgings are finished or how good they are, we need the poll accounted for before the contest can actually go on.

Honestly i really dont wanna be the one sending Pyr ANOTHER vm, as i've sent several to him already, but if none of you guys wanna ask him what's up with the poll i will do it.

Level 20
RIGHT AT LONG LAST I AM DONE!
Sent the judging to Pyritie and mentioned the poll - Boy remind to NEVER sign up for that again, don't get me wrong I loved reading all those entries but it's darn time consuming! :p

All I'll say is no one got any atrociously low marks... Not from me anyhow.
I also tried to give a suggestion for improvement with every piece criticism, because I'm a kind guy like that :)

Best of luck ALL OF YOU! I think this really could be anyones game, don't lose heart if the judges aren't all for your favour, there's always the poll!

And congratulations again for actually putting the time and effort intro completing your entries, handing over work for criticism isn't easy - believe me I know!

Right well almost done guys.

And really, don't be hurt when I say i might be the opposite of grey. I am EXTREMELY critical.

So far most entries will be at less than 50%, I'm not sure many will get above 75. My judging will be painful. And I'll apologize ahead of time.

And like grey, Bias isn't something that I am worried I about. I hate you all the same. I really do.

Almost all are done now. Pharoah_ Is all thats left.

I'm sorry for people who thought they were amazing writers, I hold the bar high for everyone, including myself.

So again, Sorry for any unrealistically low marks.

Level 12
Stop acting noobish, it's like you guys never passed near any contests while actually you may be the most experienced. The process is something like this:

1- Pyritie starts a contest
2/3- Contest Ends
2/3- Someone gathers the entries, posts them in the contest thread, and links them to Pyritie through a Vm or Pm
4/5- Pyritie makes the poll
4/5/6- Judging is sent to Pyritie (no, you shouldn't expect a reply)
5/6- Poll closes
7- Pyritie posts the results and gives out the awards

Note that this process changes if there's a host, a non-lazy active host.

Status
Not open for further replies.