• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Garden of Horror

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: deepstrasz and mafe
Hey everybody, here is my debut map. It's a 16 player melee map, teeming with creeps. There are some customized item tables to items I feel to be more useful, with an additional preference for non-consumables.

Probably best as 8v8, 4v4v4v4, or 2v2...v2, and possibly a FFA.

Some map features:
45 degree radial symmetry
17500 gold at the main, 12500 at expansions
1 expansion for every player
Tavern in between every other player, so there's a safe route to a tavern for any set of team sizes.
Marketplace in the very center, protected by 2 drakes, 2 granite golems(each of which drop a high level item) and 4 trolls.
Goblin merchants, labs, and 2 different sets of merc camps surround the center.

Accepting constructive criticisms, and better names for the map.

Fun fact: Before I uploaded this, the merc camps were each actually set to be randomized from all of the default camps in the game. Decided that might not go over well.
Contents

Garden of Horror (Map)

Reviews
mafe
Hi, always nice to see new melee mappers. Making a 16 player map to start with is an amibitous project, and it isnt a bad one. It is probably unavoidable that you make a few rookie mistakes (dont take it personally). However, note that I typcially...
deepstrasz
Camps too far from the mine and their range is lowest. The map's look is too monotonous, needs some doodad, tile and terrain height variation. Awaiting Update. R U L E S Site Rules Map Submission Rules U P L O A D I N G - A - M A P M A P...

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Hi, always nice to see new melee mappers. Making a 16 player map to start with is an amibitous project, and it isnt a bad one. It is probably unavoidable that you make a few rookie mistakes (dont take it personally). However, note that I typcially look at maps with the question "Would that map work as a balanced ladder map?" If this isnt your main priority, then my comments are not that relevant for you.
-Trees. The forests have holes and are not dense. A explained it here: (24) Legion Mana Temple 1.0a and also holds for your map. In particular, there are paths for small units leading directly from the goblin labs etc to the market place in the mid.
-The areas on top of the cliffs are open for pathing, so players can drop siege units up there which many will consider laming gameplay. Nightelves could even build a Tree of life up there. Maybe consider using pathing blocker doodads or others to prevent this.
-The creep camps in front of the goldmines are set to the (blue) camp stance. Again, see my comments in the other thread why this should be avoided. Maybe it is ok for the middle gold mines to reduce the risk of creeps randomly attack units that walk past, but for the starting positions I think it should be changed.
-You are mixing items of variable levels for the itemdrops. Even though the blizzard item levels might not be perfect, it is better to just have "100% chance to drop a lvl x item of class y". For example, one of the green camps can drop a +3 stats item or boots of speed, which a very strong item in the early game and also has a much higher gold value. Also, creepcamps of total lvl15 + usually drop a lvl1/2 powerup in addition to the main item.

Regarding gameplay, I think the map is ok for teamgames of any type, but for FFA it would probably not work due to players starting very close together and expanding not being and option until the late midgame. As it not easy to design a map that works both for teamgames and FFA at the same time, this isnt a problem for your map only.

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
Hello, just giving my 2 cents here. I see this alot with melee map makers and its terrain/doodads. In this, the terrain itself is basicly made within 2 minutes, i wanna see more use of the tiles and make it look cool looking not just a dirt road around everywhere. All im trying to say it to take your time and put some effort into what you are creating.

Level 3
Thanks Mafe, this is exactly the kind of feedback i was looking for! The tree placing brush tip in particular is very helpful, wish that was included in some of the tutorials I had looked at. Do you happen to have a similar method for placing pathing blockers? My current tactic is kind of flooding the map in more objects than I would like.

I appreciate your feedback as well Panda, but I have to admit I kind of hate terraining. Love the object editor, love making triggers, okay at placing units, but kind of get easily bored of terraining. As such, in the interest of actually finishing this map I kept the decoration to a minimum. If/When I get to making additional maps I'll try to be more attentive to detail.

Level 21
...I appreciate your feedback as well Panda, but I have to admit I kind of hate terraining. Love the object editor, love making triggers, okay at placing units, but kind of get easily bored of terraining. As such, in the interest of actually finishing this map I kept the decoration to a minimum. If/When I get to making additional maps I'll try to be more attentive to detail.

Maybe melee maps aren't the right choice then. Don't want to sound rude, but it is quite simple. If you like object editor + triggers, both of which aren't used in melee, than try to think about some different type of maps. Simple arena or custom race melee maps could be something, you should try. I will be more than happy, to provide you with some basic terrain for arena map, just contact me via PM if you decide to try it. ;) Good luck!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Camps too far from the mine and their range is lowest.
The map's look is too monotonous, needs some doodad, tile and terrain height variation.

Awaiting Update.

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

U P L O A D I N G - A - M A P

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.
[/SIZE][/SIZE]